Prologue
976 2 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

         Worlds are always far older than people believe. Civilizations rise and fall, many into complete obscurity, but often times tides and eras change without the knowledge of those who were uninvolved. Farmers, children, hermits, and many others who are disconnected from the greater world simply live their lives unaware of the shifts in history.

          Wars begin quietly.

          But they are never waged in silence.

          The war that ravaged this world was like many others, but the parties involved were not. From the Heavens came the angels; protectors of the weak and innocent. From Hell, the demons; bringers of chaos and destruction on a whim.

           As many do, the reason for the war quickly became inconsequential for those who actually fought it. Demons either fought for their own lives or for mere entertainment while the angels fought out of duty or honor.

            It is said that long before the war began, there was a true peace that could only come from all sides knowing absolutely nothing about each other’s existence. But the Lord of Heaven and the Lord of Hell both knew that these days would not last forever. Heaven named 15 of their angels to serve as leaders, each with a title and role to fulfil. Hell chose instead to select only one to be the ruler and absolute strength of the realm.

           The Council of Heaven is comprised of 20 archangels, 14 that inherited the names of their ancestors and 6 who fought for their place and were given names and a greater honor than that of the inheritors. Many never leave heaven in their life as few are actually warriors, instead intelligence and strategy is prioritized over strength.

           Demons, on the other hand, are ruled by a Demon Lord, the strongest child of the previous Demon Lord. Only 6 demons are permitted to join the ranks of archdemons, known as the Dukes, at any given point of time in order to keep balance between the two. Those who wish to become a Duke must kill or otherwise completely defeat the previous Duke.

          Though fewer in number, the demons kept a stalemate with the angels through overwhelming brute strength and the few cunning strategists who would arise from their ranks. Neither side wished for the complete destruction of the other, though many individuals would say otherwise. Deaths on both sides left rifts and personal wars for vengeance began to take precedence over some nebulous “greater cause”.  Many of them rose to become great heroes or villains on both sides as emotions raged.

          This story is about two such beings. The two Great Generals who were neither of Heaven’s Council nor a Duke of Hell. Their only purpose was to fight. And so, they did. They did not fight for honor, nor glory, fame, money, power, pleasure, or even their lives. They fought because that was all they had, for many, many years.

          Yes, this story is about two old monsters who knew fighting better than they knew how to breathe.

          But more than that, this is a tale about two old monsters who got forced into retirement. Who, when all they knew was taken from them, became friends, and then something more.

          And finally, this is an epic, of two old monsters who decided to live in peace and quietly play chess.

          And occasionally commit felonies.

33