14- Time Flies Without Felonies
700 8 33
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          “It’s a rather peaceful day.”

          “Yes.”

          “…too peaceful?”

          “Boney, it’s been one day.”

          “It’s been an entire day already?”

          “…Let me rephrase that, it’s only been one day. Can we just have, say, a year, just one year, where we don’t get tangled in anything troublesome?”

          “Sloth is a sin.”

          “…and destruction of property isn’t?”

          “Which one is it then?”

          “It’s…” I curled my pointer finger to my lip, “Actually now that I think of it…”

          “See?”

          “No, no, that’s not the point.”

          “What is then?”

          “I want to be lazy. I want to sleep. I want…no, actually that’s it.”

          “…That actually sounds nice, you have entrapped me demon.”

          “No, listen to me, we’re retired we should be relaxing and growing mold not running around like toddlers in a wolf- what did you say?”

          “Sounds lovely, we shall relax for a year and do near nothing but play chess, sleep, and other quiet actions like forging.”    

          “…What are you up to?”

          “…one year.”

          “…Deal.” I wonder, was this what those humans felt when they made deals with me all those years ago?

          We were still waiting on Boney’s brat to bring the supplies. Based on what I’d seen of the poor brat, he’s definitely suffered at her hands before. I wasn’t counting on the kid himself to bring the stuff, odds were a lacky or a group of them were going to get that job dumped on them.

          Sure enough, several hours later the squad that was with the brat earlier brought over several large carts of supplies ranging from the bed to food. Probably in hopes that if we had what we needed we’d be quiet. Angels are known to be optimists.

          The brats unloaded quickly, but very carefully, and ran without saying a word. Aena didn’t seem surprised.

          “Are they running away from me or from you?”

          “…I suppose, they’re probably running away from us both…” She tapped her chin gently, “Though I’m not entirely sure if they know exactly who you are…”

          “They retired us at the same time, who else could it be?”

          “Fair point…wait”

          “What?”

          “So, the reason they forced me into retirement wasn’t because I hauled the little Gabriel down from his seat and spanked him for proposing we charge into hell and exterminate you all?”

          “…How old is that brat?”

          “Old enough to know better.”

          “I’m sure it was a factor. Was it before or after they had a grand meeting between the Council and the Dukes?”

          “Dukes? Oh right, the stronger demon children. For the longest time, I thought that was their actual name instead of a title…”

          “It wasn’t until almost 500 years ago that I realized that archangels had the “el” sound in their names.”

          “…You’re remarkably slow aren’t you.”

          Really? This brat, I glared at her, feeling upfronted. “And how many Dukes did you beat into the ground before you figured it out?”

          “Did you make the pawns cherubs?” She picked up one of them and examined it curiously.

          “Yes, I made the demon pawns incubi as well. I based the higher-level pieces on the forms of people I’ve met and have a strong impression of over the years. If you look at the angel bishops, you should be able to recognize them.”

          “Rizy and Anzy?” Her eyes softened for a moment.

          “Yes, though now I’m not sure who to do for the king and queen of the angel and demon set.”

          “What about me?”

          “…While I do have a strong impression of you… the rest are all dead.”

          “Dead, hm. How about Anabiel? My twin, all you have to do is picture me, but…”

          “More angelic?”

          “…I am a lady and will not resort to violence like a common man like yourself, but don’t tempt me.” She raised an eyebrow and smile nobly.

          “Lady?” I swiftly dodged a vicious chop.

          “As for the king, have you ever met the first Gabriel? Or the old Demon King? As I recall that old monster only died a few centuries ago.” 

          “He didn’t die, he faked his death and ran off with his favorite descendant to raise and dumped the throne on that brat who kept trying to challenge him.” As for the first Gabriel, I was the one to kill him, even if it wasn't personally. That assassination was  the highlight of my career, but she seemed like one who liked straight fights, so I probably shouldn't remind her.

          “…I feel like that’s something those dear children should really know…but…”

          “Hm?”

          “I’m retired… They’ll be alright.”

          “What about the demon queen?” I steered the conversation back.

          “I don’t remember any female demons I liked. Most of them were annoying. They would always have a really long speech, but no one listened because we were all wondering along the lines of whether if she was cold, poor, or just stupid before someone nailed her right in her unprotected chest.” 

          “…I’ll figure it out.”

         

          Setting that fun conversation aside, we got to work sorting through what Boney’s brat brought us. They even brought one of the human’s new inventions, I believe it was called a fridge, that would help keep the food. After everything was sorted and put away, I noticed a slight problem.

          Well, it wasn’t really a problem, in my book anyway, but it was something to consider. The angel’s I’ve known have always been a bit, naïve…but I have to wonder what they were thinking when they prepared this.

          They only brought one bed.

          Did they think we were too old? I have noticed that young brats seem to treat the elderly more and more like toddlers the older we get… Or did they expect me to sleep on the floor? More importantly, what was she thinking?

33