18- Golden Eyed
602 4 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          Lightly, a fair jaw tilted towards the sky as cold, burning gold watched fear run through the humans. She stood rising like a feather catching an updraft with all the terror of a child meeting the eyes of a royal guard with one hand half-way out of some noble’s pocket with their wallet. One is always fearless until they are abruptly reminded that things have consequences.

          Some froze with fear while the rest scattered. A few almost jumped clean out of their skins, if they were capable of teleportation it would have been even more fun to watch…sadly they were only humans… There was one time when I was teasing a warlock and I popped my head through his door and he jumped so bad he teleported half-way into a wall… Ah, good times. It was a mess to clean up though…

          “Do not fear…” the older hunched one whispered as his eyes grew wide and his twisted body straightened and recoiled in the other direction in a disturbing feat of flexibility.

          “But run and hide…” another older brat continued from his place from behind a meat-shield he’d made of some other poor younger brat.

          “Do not face the one of golden eyes!” One with an eyepatch, who seemed to be the leader, screamed the last as he ran at full tilt. He was quite a ways away too…he had a good set of lungs.

          “I thought I eradicate- I though I convince everyone who knew that to forget it. Such an old saying, not to mention that moniker…” Aena sighed. The area was pretty much clear of the brats, only a few of the younger and stupider were left.

          “Wait… you were the Golden Eyed Menace? I thought that was killed years ago.”

          “Gold eyes are unique to me and then later my children, so back before I had my little ones they called me golden eyed since Aena and Ana sounded very similar and it was hard to hear in battle.”

          “But I heard the Golden Eyed died in battle, there were celebrations across both the human realm and hell! We even had a joint party once; it was the first-time humans and demons realized we could actually get along and set up the entire system of demon summoning and warlocks!” I also won a bet, but I felt like I shouldn’t mention that…

          “…if it was when that happened, it was when I got married. I retired for several years to have children. By the time I joined them again, my hair was white and they’d already had my children in the army…”

           My face twitched as I imagined hell’s reaction if they were to find out that the old White General and the Golden Eyed were the same angel. I was forced to put such wonderful ideas aside though as one of the brats came forward during the break in conversation.

          An honest looking boy smiled at us, doing a good job of hiding his fear behind that mask of his. It was a good mask…a nice honest face is perfect for luring security and dodging blame.

          “Good Lady, are you here to save us from these evil bandits?” He blinked in a way that reminded me of when the old pile of bones was acting innocent.

          “Us?” Aena humored the boy and softened slightly.

          “Yes, me and my good friend- Borin?” His head swiveled to look at the… let’s say simple… brat who was currently unconscious, but still had his arm in the water. You had to admire his blind determination…pity it was paired with a complete lack of self-preservation.

“….Excuse me for a moment.” The mask slipped, and so did his fear. Sharply he grabbed his “good friend” by the back of the collar and his arm out of the bucket along with it. “What kind of blubbering son of a-“

          Aena sighed lightly. “Well, at least that id- simple soul has a good friend in you, child. I will only ask this…” Shadows drifted along her face as light gathered gradually behind her head. “Did you take part in the hunt of my children?”

          “No. I want to be a doctor. I won’t harm a life.” He spoke clearly, though he was just as clearly terrified. His own brown eyes looked into the light without daring to blink, giving them their own gold hue.

          “Good. Babaris, shall we begin a game?”

          “Why, my lady, I thought you’d never ask.” I bared my fangs fully in a grin as her eyes narrowed with a gleam.

          Let the hunt begin.

         

25