23- Missed This
629 1 28
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          Grumbling to myself, I glared at the happy pair sitting by my forge as I kept the lights low enough not to hurt Blackie’s eyes but high enough so Vel could still see.

          Blackie was explaining something complicated about the squishy parts of a plant he had pulled from his bag. Looking at him, I couldn’t see any clear signs of burns I’d learned to look for on the human companions we would occasionally gain and lose in the army over the years. His skin was still as white as before without any signs of discoloration.

          “Where are you burned?” Vel shared my confusion as he took advantage of when Blackie finally remembered how to breathe after lecturing for several minutes.

          “Angels and demons both have slightly different skin than humans, though in different ways. Angels are extremely resistant to heat and to have a burn you almost have to dip them in lava. Their skin turns black and grey when burned.” I nodded to myself, this was true. Last time I had a burn I was trying to use lava to forge and dropped the sword in. It is not wise to try and grab a metal-alloy sword out of lava with bare hands.

“Demons, however, are resistant to cold and it’s basically impossible for us to get frostbite and any temperature that I know of. I heard that humans have found ways to create things with a low enough temperature to do so, but I haven’t encountered it myself.”

          “…” We waited for him to continue, staring him down.

          “…What? Oh right, burns. Well, angels get frostbite easy and demons burn like fabric on a pyre. You can’t tell from sight, but the skin stiffens, and if it reaches the joints, makes it impossible to move. I’m burned on my forearms and everywhere above my collarbone. It’s making painful to talk and move my head. You could also tell since I haven’t changed my expression in a while.”

          …I hadn’t noticed a difference…

          “…right.” Little Vel seemed to already know the correct response. Nod and move on… I moved to the bed and propped my head on my arms while on my stomach, slightly bored.

          “This treatment works on all races, even dragons, but the next one I’m going to have you learn and actually use is only for demons. Now pay close attention, you too, sore loser.”

          “Ye shouldn’t speak of thine mother so…” I muttered, but it was too late. I was gone. I blame Lyciel for sending such a comfortable bed.

          “Wake up, salt flat flooring.”

          “Demons at the dining room!”

          Sharp pain in my head abruptly woke me up from a particularly entertaining dream.

          “…What?” One brown and one green set of eyes looked at me with confusion and exasperation, I’ll let you decide which was which…

          “…Did you need something my dears?” Remembering my new role as adoptive mother, I gave a gentle and warm smile.

          “Don’t bother, you already shattered that image when you broke the fragile minds of the bandits.”

          “As you say, oh fearsome and evil demon with sunburns.”

          “Maybe we should go visit the dumb brat. I saw some very, warm, rivers to go swimming. He could always use more patients.” The burns still hadn’t healed, …probably, so his face didn’t even twitch.

          “…Did you have fun learning with your dad?”

          “…dad?” Blackie choked.

          “Quiet you.”

          “…” His mouth opened and closed, eyes darting between us, “…Yes.”

          “Good.” The sun had set hours ago, which meant that they had been chatting long enough that the boy was probably exhausted. “Then it must be time for bed. Oh wait, you need food! It has been quite some time since I’ve taken care of a human,” I paused, “or a child for that matter.”

          Vel did the odd start and stop motions with his mouth again.

          Blackie didn’t wait for him to organize his thoughts this time, “I already fed him. Leftovers are on your forge.”

          I popped up and gently grabbed the poor child by the shoulders, “Are you ill?! Do you feel dizzy?! Can you still feel all of your limbs?!!” I felt his forehead, “You don’t feel hot, are you cold?! Speak to me!”

          “He’s fine. I doubled as the doctor or the cook when that bast- jerk ‘forgot’ to assign my unit one. How bad of a cook was that ex of yours to scare you this bad about men cooking?”

          “I…don’t wish to speak of it…” I patted Vel down, just to be sure.

          “I’m…alright…” AWWWW the boy was blushing!

          “Good, good, good. Where’s the food?” Since he hadn’t died, the food must be edible! I stretched, a little stiff from sleep, and bounded over to the forge to grab a plate kept warm by the embers.

          “…if the first horse doesn’t die, huh?”

          “Did you say something, Blackie dear?”

          “…No. Velris, you can sleep here for now. We’ll get you your own bed soon enough, but we don’t need sleep as often as you will so it won’t be a problem to wait a few days.” He ruffled Vel’s head softly.

          I grinned into my food. I knew he’d get attached.

          “Stop smirking and eat!” He tried, and failed, to scowl at me in outrage. His face turned slightly blue in embarrassment…or the effort of trying to scowl. One of the two.

          The boy tried, and failed, to smother a snicker.

          …I had missed this.

28