30- A General Update
409 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 

          As expected, they disappeared quick after she made up her mind to run off. I glanced at the discarded pile of random blades she left on the floor. Some were clearly designed for me; they were larger and made of darker metals. I pick up a smaller one that looked an awful lot like some of the ones I’ve seen human commanders run around with.

          I felt myself start to sigh but stopped. The boy probably had more swords, halberds, and devil knows what else, then he’d ever be able to use in his lifespan. Meanwhile, I had finished the chess board, a simple headboard, and even the frame for the boy’s bed that was stuff in a hollow I dug out with a curtain to give him some privacy. Apparently it was important for children his age.

          But…I was starting to get bored when she wasn’t around. Even when the kid was here, I’d get distracted by the quiet. That can’t be a good sign. The cave was beginning to resemble an actual house, but at what cost? Was I really going to spend the rest of my life here, or just until I grow tired of her? Moving would be troublesome if I wanted to lose her, not to mention if I would be able to ditch her…

          Rubbing my forehead, I set the thought aside for the moment.

 

 

 

          “Have you heard anything about the Generals?” Lyciel smiled kindly at his snit- intelligence specialist. It had been a lovely, peaceful month. The music hall was rebuilt by several determined musicians, though most of the instruments couldn’t be saved. The ones that survived were, mysteriously, all built for the same keys.

          As for why some of the other old instruments meant for unique keys and unusual tones that were destroyed by the fire were oddly uncharred and had deep and varying sandal imprints……

          “The General has been quiet, sir.” A different solider reported calmly. After the initial incident, they began to rotate the duty to be fair. And prevent work-related homicide.

          “…That would explain my sense of unease.” He leaned back in his chair, “Peace talks with Hell have been progressing well, traps on both sides are neatly and politely avoided, and now we have a way to settle this war with very few casualties.”

          “It is a bless time, sir.”

          “…Things are going too well.” A breeze shifted through the contents of his desk. “As a certain, mostly respected general once said, ‘If things are going well, give ready for an explosion.’” Lyciel tapped his chin, his smile changing into pondering and faintly suspicious. “I never did find out it she meant literally or figuratively.”

          “Should we advise the delegation to prepare fireproofing?”

          “…“It never hurts to be safe, rather than bare the cost of a funeral.” Which, I am very sure was very literal.”

         

 

 

          “Have we heard anything about that old monster?” The young Demon Lord peered out his window, completely relaxed. His hands were definitely not clutching his chair. Nor was his forehead scrunched up to the point it resembled an old prune. And his voice was completely normal.

          “Nothing, I mean, we did find out that he’s currently living with the White General, but nothing new.” One of the Dukes rolled his eyes at the new lord’s paranoia. Sure, the old man was strong, but he’d retired. As an old subordinate, he knew the old man just wanted time to nap.

          “…He’s what?”

          “Oh? Did we forget to mention that?” Glancing at the advisor, who now looked for all the world like a parent who told their brat not to tease the sleeping dragon only to turn around for five seconds and hear an outraged roar, Duke Quenloc raised an eyebrow.

          “We have to worry about two of them now?!”

          “They’re both retired, we don’t have to worry ‘bout either of them.”

          “You! Why didn’t you inform me?” The advisor was dragged to the front by the conversation, reluctance written on every line of his face.

          “While they definitely pose a threat-”

          “Really?!”

          “Both of them have sworn to no longer get involved with matters of the war.”

          “And that will stop them?”

          “Yes, they come from an age that holds promises and oaths.”

          All three occupants of the room shuddered. Quenloc in particular shuddered for a different reason. Very distinct memories of his childhood almost made him want to go confess to breaking every promise he made.

          Almost.

          “That tournament the angels proposed is coming up, do you think they’ll consider that a matter of the war?”

          “…best we prepare for the worst.”

          “As a certain, mostly loathed general once told me, ‘Better to prepare than to run the risk of having to pay for the funeral.”” Quenloc sighed.

          “…I’ll tell the delegation to get fireproof armor.” The Demon Lord grumbled, thinking of a particular incident.

         

 

 

         

           I figured they would run into trouble, or she would make it. Having spent more than a day with her in the general vicinity, I knew it was inevitable. I know this.

          So why did I have a little part of me crumple when the front of the cave erupted with noise? Hope is a surprisingly persistent little bugger.

          “I swear if she brought back another stray, I’ll…” My words faded as I looked out the window to see a bunch of humans. “…well, she’s still in trouble if I find out she’s behind this.”

          “It doesn’t look like there’s been a landslide recently.” They were well dressed, had large vehicles, and were clearly organized.

          A merchant convoy.

          A real one.

          And we abducted one of their rest points.

          I grinned, this time without splitting my face open. She’s going to be so jealous when she gets back.

14