51- Blackie, Hurry Back!
228 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

          While Blackie blankly gawked at the little heart plate that could, and apparently would, follow us, or more likely me, to the ends of the world, I grabbed it and stuffed it in a pocket.

          The first step of proving your complete innocence in a court of law? Hiding the evidence. Second, survey the damage and prepare someone either more guilty, which is anyone if you’re innocent of course, or someone who is nearby and blamable. Or gullible…or liable.

          Now, the blast happened in the sea, meaning the island wasn’t damaged. The real damage would be from the tsunami that will happen far away or the littler tidal waves. Either way, hard to track and blame.

          “Blackie, if anyone asks, we have no idea what caused the explosion.” I grabbed his collar and pulled him down to whisper in his ear. Some people are too tall.

          “…do you?”

          “Exactly!”

          “…well, if the fighting didn’t alert the brat, this definitely will. Also, how long before your brats turn up to interrogate you?”

          “Whatever do you mean, my dear?”

          “A cake and two dinners says they pop up within five minutes, asking what you did.”

          I wanted to refute, but I could hear Tavy getting closer and Lacie’s smell was getting stronger. But…there was something mixed it within the chaos around us. Someone extra was moving towards our little trap.

          He was still slouching down around my height, so with an easy turn our eyes met. With a gentle, not at all mischievous, smile, “Shall I provide distraction while the rabbit finds its hole?”

          “You’re the one they’re going to blame anyway.” He muttered, jerking his head way from mine a little too quickly.

          The children hadn’t given the explosion much thought and the fights were quickly getting out of hand. Blackie wove through them as he made his way towards that courtyard. Meanwhile, I prepare my best, not-guilty-your-honor face as I prepared for an inevitable round of interrogation.

 

          “Master what in God’s Almighty Brilliance did you do.” Lacie immediately started, although heaven alone knows how he got here before Tavy.

          “Lovely weather, Anzy, is that you?” My eyes got glossy and unfocused, “dear child, come to mother…” With the flattest look I have ever seen, which is remarkable impressive considering my life span and the fact that I know a certain plank-flat faced demon, Lacie dodged my flailing hands.

          “Where is the Black General?”

          “Who? No Blackies here, nope. None. Have you seen my spoon?”

          “Elder Tavliel, do you know what happened?” Tavy finally arrive, out of breath and looking transparent. He had a lovely skull.

          “No, but-” He wheezed a bit, desk-worker. “It’s only been- why-were-there-stairs- all of…five? Five minutes since they were with” he took a deep breath, “me.”

          Lacie shifted his weight to his heels as he rock back a bit to raise his hands to his forehead in a prayer. To his credit, his smile never broke, even though it was very strained.

          Hm, how much longer could that hold I wonder…

          “OOOO, a mushrooooom!” I pointed to my left at the solid black foggy sky that seemed to absorb all light and expanded into nothing

          They immediately turned to look in horror, clearly fully expecting the explosion to be visible either through the fog, or that it clear a patch of it. I, in turn, immediately dived right and skipped away, just slow enough that they could still see me scurrying away.

          “Our Great Kind God-damnit.”

          “Now Lacie-love, language.” I dance around in circles, fast enough to keep Lacie moving and close enough that we didn’t lose the poor, weak former-son-in-law of mine.

          All in all, it was a very fun day.

          But… all good things surely come to an end. For we, in our ignorance, forgot one crucial problem. One wet pine branch in the forge. One hair in the ice cream, one bowl of salt in… the… The point was made.

          Though, technically, it was two things we forgot. Two “people”.

          “Gold-girl!”

          “Our-Great-n-Glorious-God-damnit” I tried to run. I tried so hard, but it was over in an instant.

          An arm was around my throat, the other was patting my head. I hissed and thrashed, but my captor paid me no mind. Lacie was nearby, his smile gone completely, only confusion remained.

          “Gold-girl, did you set off an explosion again? I thought you agreed to stop playing with powder and bombs when you were a baby…” He rubbed his cheek on my head like I was some misbehaving child. “The babies are scared, Gold-girl. Look how scared.” He whirled me to fully face Lacie, who was currently hiding behind Tavy.

          Looking at the poor children, I mouthed, Run. Tavy nodded, though he’d been startled so bad he had hiccups. I kicked the old monster to try and distract him, desperately trying to figure out where the other one was.

          “Old Pest, what are you doing?” A very grumpy, low voice came from behind us. A certain fossil whirled again, almost making me ill.

          “Old Sinner, are you not curious as to what the two dear children are doing harassing the little babies? Just look,” He picked me off the ground and made me hiss louder. I tried to scratch, but that was useless as his skin only filed down my nails.

          “She does look fun to play with…” Facing him properly for the first time, I was almost crushed by the indolence in dark red eyes. We two angels both froze. The Devil before me smirked and offered a hand.

          Teacher slowly brought me back to his embrace and shifted so he was between me and the danger. I found myself leaning in and grabbing his shirt like I did when he carried me as a toddler.

          As we glared at him suspiciously, his mouth twitched as he rolled his eyes. “I was joking.”

          We relaxed slightly. The old monster patted my head with reassurance and a natural gentle smile. It was Teacher’s honest, never-do-wrong look that always got him out of military court, I swear.

          “Mostly.” He smirked as we barricaded together again. “I wouldn’t steal that Baris’s woman now that he finally found one.” But he paused. He seriously started considering it.

          …Blackie, hurry back…

9