Side Chapter 4- Dream
142 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A scarce few rays of evening light slipped around mountain peaks, through trees and their leaves, and found themselves lighting up a clearing with several gently bubbling springs of various colors. A mass of bouncing cream curls contrasted deep brown skin and a white robe. Giant wings flailed around, dragging a small body behind them with every move as water splashed everywhere. The young girl giggled happily as she threw her weight about the brightly colored spring1Look up the lovely pools of Yellowstone she was in, ignoring the small animal bones that were slowly dissolving.

She let her wing spread out completely over the water's surface as she smacked her face into it, blowing bubbles furiously. Pulling back up after a few minutes, she plopped down with her chin half submerged cackling wildly. Eyes curved as she looked up at the dark trees with light steadily fading away. With a small wave, a small orb of light condensed and settled next to where the rest of her shoes were. 

A rustling come from the darkest side of the forest, with it a unique smell. Stretching her back, she look over without bothering to get up. 

It was an older boy, possibly even an adult. He flinched, shielding his eyes as he glared at her light. What was even weirder, was the fact that his wings were black of all things. And, he had horns. Based on those two things, the little angel decided he was either a smith that needed a bath after something exploded and covered his wings in soot and liked horn ornaments, or he was a demon.

"Are you a demon?" she decided to ask, it was good to ask, after all. She nearly got skewered after she mixed the black powder and the firewood kindling again last week. The adults could be so touchy.

The weird fellow squinted at her. His eyes wandered over her warily, so she stood up so he could get a better look. Part of his smell was like her mother's and the other adults that fought often. The water evaporated quickly, making her robe and hair nice and fluffy again. Since he didn't seem to really like the light, she dimmed it a bit more. Properly facing him, she could see him a bit better. Short, multi-colored hair covered part of his face, but was she could see of it was pale. 

Seemed like he really was a demon. 

The young angel peered at him with curiosity, no fear or hate anywhere in clear golden eyes. He had seen glimpses of sunlight from the shadows and in battles with the other white winged idiots. He'd collected every shade of blue, green, brown, amber, grey, and every other color he'd ever seen, yet he'd never seen eyes that color. If light could be condensed like the little orb the girl had next to her, and then distilled, refined, fire-forged and then poured into eyes, the result would be right in front of him.

He wanted them.

A smile slit across his face, carefully hidden by his hand. He stepped back, she slid forward. He stepped towards her and she still moved towards him. Soon, he was at the rim of the pool. Paying no attention to the heat, he reached out to cup her face with one hand hidden behind his back. Those eyes blinked at him, framed beautifully by the dark skin and black lashes. 

He hesitated.

...the natural frame seemed better than the glass containers he had. And it would be harder to put them back, though not impossible, if he pulled them out and didn't like the look. A scoop in his hidden hand went back into his space as a large knife came out instead. He only needed a frame after all.

A small tear in space appeared near by, next to a safe normal spring with light running out of it like it a house on fire. Time was up. Looking down at the girl nearing puberty, he evaluated his options.

The ever-familiar scent of sunshine and smoke invaded the quiet of the bubbling pools. Now that she was closer, she could see the funny face of the demon as a myriad of expressions rolled on and through. An occasional grin or grimace showed jagged teeth. Smoke faintly rose from his skin that was to close to her. The corners of her mouth and her head dropped as she started to take a step back. 

"Would you like to go with me?" A low melodic voice sounded above her head, a smile that was probably supposed to be comforting or enchanting had a smug hint to it. 

Was I not a bane to demons? Why would he invite me away?

She poked him. 

He didn't scream, though that was probably because the pain shut down his brain. He didn't even flinch as he stared in shock at the burn hole in his clothes. Instead, the logical part of his brain took the hit and turned off. On in its place was the crazy collector.

"Are you coming?" The voice this time had an excited, manic edge barely contained in an otherwise calm tone. 

Demons can never be trusted.

True.

But mother, he does not seem to think of me as a monster

She smiled, a warmth he'd never known. 

"Only if you feed me."

 

 

          A solid white head popped up from a mass of black feathers, blinking blurrily at the dark stone and wood walls. She looked down at the arm that was loosely hanging on her waist and followed it to the source of the black mass. Poking a well built chest, she settled back down into the warm covers and feathers. 

         Her movements cause her partner to stir, the errant arm tightened and brought her to him. Aena heard Babaris mutter into her hair.

         "Eyeballs..."

         She laughed, wiggling her own arms under and around for a return hug.

          "Only if you keep the whole frame intact." 

 

Hehehe Happy April Fools!

 

Sorry about the lack of updates, I'll be working on making sure there won't be another giant pause. for now, expect 1 chapter a week at least as I build up and hopefully do a set schedule until the end of the series.

3