Chapter 15: Deceit (1)
273 2 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Your Highness, please make use of this slave,” Kalstras said.

“Uh, no. That’s not what I mean. You’ll just act as my personal guard for the short time you’re here.”

I’m glad I nabbed someone useful but that damned court...

While his father accepted the punishment, the court opposed and In the end, Kalstras would be forced into war until Kieran reached adulthood. Once he did, Kalstras would work under him.

I had a feeling I’d get sent to war.

“Please get super strong,” Kieran whispered.

“What was that, Your Highness?”

“Nothing.”

The two of them were walking to his room. Alexandra retired for the day and parted with them once the trial ended.

“You can go and pack your things, I’ll just be resting for today.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

Kalstras bowed and went his own way. For the time until his reallocation to the battlefield, he would be under the tentative occupation of servant within the royal palace.

Inside his room, he stripped off the fancy and uncomfortable clothing, switching to looser fitting shirts and pants. Everything was cleaner than he remembered and it struck him as a bit odd. But then he remembered how Teal was treated among the other servants.

They probably saved all that dust up for her.

He sighed and did his best to tidy up his clothes as he set them aside.

“This thing’s kinda cool,” he said, complimenting the beauty of his necklace. “It’s a little heavy though.”

With a couple seconds of fiddling with the hook, he pulled the emerald necklace off. Green rays scattered around the room before disappearing into the darkness of the jewelry box. He prepared for a little heave and lifted the box up with unusual ease.

He shook the box, listening to the precious metals inside. For something he recalled as always being a pain to bring out, it was suspiciously spacious.

The emerald necklace wasn’t the only jewelry he’d been thinking about wearing; there was a ruby studded silver bracelet too. He left it on the desk right next to the box but it wasn’t there. Under and behind the desk, its multiple drawers, under his bed, he searched all the places where he might’ve misplaced it but couldn’t find a thing.

Shit. That was one of the more expensive things Mother gave to me.

Opening the jewelry box again, he went through the items inside and came up short. He wasn’t sure how much he came up short, it was impossible for him to know since he never counted them.

What do I do? Am I supposed to tell someone?

If someone was stealing from him, then maybe they were stealing from everyone else. He left to go find someone.

Right outside his door, however, were two someones. A girl shorter than him, with long dark hair and a round button nose, stared at him with her cat-like eyes. The person next to her stood more than twice her height. He cast a clear silhouette enhanced further by the tight fit military-esque jacket he wore.

“Kieran, you should have said hello when you saw me in the courtroom,” his voice boomed.

“Ah, hello Eldest Brother. I wasn’t sure if it was you. I thought you were still on the western front.”

Drastan Reyteour, the crown prince. Why was someone as important as him back from the field?

Drastan snorted. Traces of dark circles lingered around his eyes. Hanging from his sword, the tassel, gifted by the neutral people of Mist Mountain, swayed and spun around. Dried specks of blood stained its ends.

“Heeey,” his sister said, waving her arms. “You didn’t say hi to me.”

“Hi, Lyla.”

“Yes, hello to you too.”

Lyla walked forward, seemingly placing herself between them. She played with her curled hair, “Why did you run out of your room? Was there a spider?”

“Uh, no. I was going to look for mom. I think someone’s been stealing from me.”

“Mother,” Drastan said.

“Huh?”

“You will call her, Mother,” he repeated. “Mother and Father may overlook your loose etiquette and allow you to slack on your studies but I will not. Your demeanor and actions in court today were unacceptable. I would have you punished had Father not allowed your transgressions to pass. In three years time, once you have become an adult, you may very well be sent to war. Take care not to embarrass our name.”

Kieran showed his hands, “I’ve been working on it.”

“Do not think I do not know what happens in this palace. Your one day of foolish defiance has only worsened your ability to learn the sword. Had you followed the Blood Demon’s instructions, you would not need those bandages. Mother is busy at the moment. Deal with the theft on your own,” he sneered, turning around. “I expect to hear the issue resolved soon. Come Lyla.”

“Ah, uh bye,” she waved and quickly chased after him.

“And that’s why I pretended I didn’t see you, asshole.”

Now what the hell do I do about the person stealing all my stuff? At this rate I’ll have nothing but the clothes on my back.

In the process of scrambling his brain for an answer, Teal approached from the south hallway. It was the opposite direction from the Queen’s Chamber, where she should have come from. Kieran moved behind the wall and waited for her to come closer. Right as she appeared, he jumped out.

They bumped into each other. He stumbled backwards as a dejected Teal barely turned her head and muttered an apology. A whole second passed before any light graced her dead eyes.

With a hand over her mouth she said, “I’m so sorry, Young Master. I didn’t realize it was you.” She offered her hand, helping him to his feet. “I’ll be more careful next time…”

Her tone strained his ears. Quiet, almost inaudible, a sound not unusual for Teal. When she first started working as his caretaker, two years ago, that timid personality was all he could get out of her. Overtime and with great effort, they built up her confidence. Now, it was like seeing a ghost from the past.

Few words were exchanged. She followed him to his room and began tidying it up, even though it had already been cleaned. As she grabbed the jewelry box, he managed to muster his voice, “Hey, Teal. I think someone’s been stealing the jewelry.”

She visibly jumped and fumbled not to drop the box. “What do you mean, Young Master?”

“You remember how I had a hard time deciding between what to wear before the court session, right? Well I left the bracelet there and when I came back, I couldn’t find it anywhere.”

“Is it possible that you misplaced it? I-I can help you look right now,” she said, quickly setting the box away and dropping to her knees. She looked under the desk.

“It’s fine,” he said.

She continued searching.

“Hey, it doesn’t matter that much.”

She looked under his bed.

“You won’t find it.”

She swore when she found nothing.

“Teal, stop!”

His voice jolted her to her senses. Like a puppet on strings, she rose to her feet. Not a second passed before she apologized and put away the jewelry box. Seeing the lifeless Teal, he couldn’t hold back his questions any longer.

“What did Mother say to you?”

“She simply scolded me, Young Master. There’s nothing to worry about.”

He believed it about as much as he believed Alexandra could have fun. “Do you really think I’ll just let it go? What happened?”

“I can’t,” she said, unable to look at him.

He sighed. There wasn’t any use pressuring her when she was so distressed. After finishing with the minimal clean-up, he said, “You can go rest for the day.” The carriage ride was a long one and although they might have slept throughout, fatigue built up.

“I-I can still do more. I know, I can bring you some snacks,” desperation filled her eyes and laced her words. Quick, twitchy, movements overcame the usually meek girl he knew.

He couldn't watch it any longer. “Teal, something’s obviously wrong. If you’re not going to tell me then just go get some rest, okay?”

“No, I can still-”

“One more word and I’ll get mad. Please, I’m tired and I’m sure you’re tired too.”

In an instant her demeanor reverted. “Ah, okay. Good night then, Young Master,” with an uncustomary deep bow, she walked out.

He fell on his bed. Over and over his thoughts managed to roll back to Teal. Why was she like that? What did his mother say to her? When was the last time she acted that way?

Dark strands of hair settled on his pillow, shaken loose from his recent ruffle. Teal needed time. There wasn’t a point in rushing things. He sunk deeper into the bed. Enveloped by the soft mattress, he ran through ideas to catch the culprit. Purposefully leaving out jewelry and lying in wait, offering a lighter punishment if they confessed, asking for whomever came into his room while he was away.

Then it struck him. He quickly made his way to the guards’ quarters. Within minutes of asking around, he found Kalstras, who just finished packing his things, and began explaining his plan.

“Since you’ll be staying with the servants for the time being, I need you to do some surveillance for me. Gather some information by talking with them. If we figure out who went into my room then we can maybe find out who stole it.”

“Would it not be easier if we simply searched through their possessions?”

“Yeah, I did think about that but that’s not a line I think I can cross.”

“There is no boundary you must force upon yourself,” Kalstras said, lifting a wooden crate. There were at least two more still pushed up against the leg of the now sheetless bed. “Whatever Your Highness wishes, we have no right to oppose.”

Kieran smirked, “Well, if you’re putting it that way, then as my newest personal semi-guard servant, I want you to start speaking more casually with me,” never before had the solution to this age old problem land so easily in his lap.

He opened his mouth, ready to protest but seemed to think better of it. With a simple nod, he said, “Alright, but I still insist on referring to you the same as I have always done, Your Highness.”

“Works for me,” he said with a shrug. A minor concession. He’d have to get used to that title anyway. It probably would have stuck sooner if Alexandra and Teal didn’t cover so much of his life. “And about not forcing a search, instead of a line I don’t think I can cross, it’s more of a line I don’t want to cross. Not right now, anyway.”

If we don’t find the thief in a couple of days, then I’ll do it. Otherwise that jackass of a brother will be breathing down my fucking neck.

“I don’t mind listening in and asking around but I can only cover the men. Someone else will have to speak with the maids.”

“Oh, I’ve got a person in mind. I’ll let her know tomorrow,” he waved his hand as if it didn’t matter.

“Why not ask her now?” Kalstras asked.

He recalled Teal’s attitude earlier, “Because she seemed down.”

Upon hearing the answer, Kalstras’ brow furrowed. By now they were out of the barracks, heading to a separate cellar space where the less experienced male servants slept. Less than a hallway away was where the maids stayed.

“Is it the one with northern-blood? The one with sky-colored hair that always accompanies you?”

“Yeah. She might’ve been looking for busy work but when I mentioned the missing jewelry, she got kind of… energetic? Plus, I trust her so she’ll probably be a great help once she’s calmed down a bit.”

He nodded as if he understood. The cellar room was larger than the ones for the maids but not by much. It lacked the same layer of dust and musty smell. They were careful on the stairs, avoiding the rotted edges of the wooden steps.

This place could do with a little renovation.

As he set the crate down, he said something that rubbed him the wrong way, “My intention is not to accuse anyone, Your Highness, but what if that personal maid of yours is the culprit?”

“No,” he replied instantly. An unsteady finger pointed at the guard, “I don’t want to hear that from you again. That’s all I had to say. I’m going back to my room now.”

As he climbed the stairs, imperfections in the wood handrail pressed into his hand.

Teal wouldn’t steal from him. She wasn’t a thief.

10