Chapter 33: Colorless
171 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Hey, so about what happened way back when… No, That’s not right,” Kieran said as he paced around in his tent. A few days had passed since they left the fortress. They were a few hours from the Overlord’s main camp, but that wasn’t what was on his mind right now. “Right, so you know how you took that arrow for me…? Uh,” he massaged his temples. “I’m really sorry for how I treated you the past three years but I was hoping that we could make up? That doesn’t sound right either…”

“Young Master?”

He jumped, “W-What is it?”

“Everyone’s about ready to go. We just need to pack up your tent.”

Teal’s voice wasn’t what he’d been expecting. He tried to play it off, hoping she didn’t hear him practicing. Now wasn’t the time to approach her. “I’ll come out in a second. I’m just putting on my chest piece.” He regretted saying that when he heard her response.

“D-Do you need help?”

This was about the time when he’d snap at her, however, since Me’dun’s encouragement, he began to second think these encounters. “Sure…” It felt like an eternity before she came in. Teal helped him fasten the straps, though slower and more clumsy than Alexandra, she took care with its tightness, despite it being made for him.

“There,” she said. “Um, thank you for allowing me to help.”

“It is what you’re here for,” he said in the most joking way he could manage. It didn’t come out as naturally as he hoped. Teal’s expression seemed mixed, as if she couldn’t tell if he’d chosen those words to mock her for what she said at the fortress or if it was in jest.

Alexandra interrupted their stilted encounter, “Young Master, please take your horse first.” He rushed out at her words, leaving his tent for them to pack.

Within a few hours they had reached Overlord Kaal’un’s army. They were encamped near a clearing at the edge of Shawlis Forest where both the northern and southern mountain ranges were visible. Hundreds of tents littered the area while hundreds more were scattered in groups nearby. Upon their arrival at the bustling camp they were greeted by four soldiers clad in polished, blackened steel armor with the ashen wings of the Overlord’s emblem etched into their chest pieces. Their faces were obscured by their visors and strapped to their waists were steel swords with braided handles of varying colors. If iron swords were an honor befitting veteran warriors, then steel swords could only be given to the elite among them.

These were the famous Shades of the Palewing. Their name had been whispered among his younger troops for some time since the announcement of their journey northward. They had participated in nearly all the major battles around the Haald Plains and were credited with pivotal victories such as stopping the most recent advance of the humans. Word was that they were all scar bearers, some might have also been name bearers like Alexandra, though none were Blooded.

The four Shades led them through the camp. Soldiers busy with work, moving supplies and equipping themselves, stopped to gaze at him. No, they were looking at the Shades. Despite being part of the same army, the Shades likely had little to no interaction with anyone outside the Overlord’s close ring of men. They were elite warriors and at the same time, bodyguards.

At the heart of the camp was a humongous white tent. Two Shades stood guard. Kieran’s group were led away and only him, his two attendants, and Me’dun were allowed inside. Overlord Kaal’un, his three strategists, and four nobles greeted him. “It is an honor to meet you once again, Your Highness. It has been three years, I believe. Do you remember me?”

“Of course I do,” he replied back. “It is good to see you, Overlord Kaal’un.”

After their exchange of pleasantries, Kieran was clued into their plan using the map on the table. “The enemy are gathering here in the Red Hills,” the first and shortest of the three strategists pointed at the upper part of Haald Plains. The Haald plains was the space between the two mountain ranges and extended partly into both the Marharden and Kheonyth territories. Due to its size, multiple areas inside the plains had different names. “Because of the recent loss of Prince Akeron, they were able to push back our stationed forces.”

The plan was short and simple. They were to meet up with a few forces and defeat the army there together. The reason why things were still being discussed was because the vanguard hadn’t been decided yet. The second tallest of the three spoke, “The angel they brought with them has powerful wide-area Essence attacks. If a Blood Demon were present then we could have them Run Through the Battlefield and engage the angel but that is not an option.” Kieran had to stop himself from glancing at Alexandra.

“Why not the Shades?” Kieran asked.

“Your Highness,” it was now the third strategist, the tallest, speaking. “While they are capable men, they are more suited for holding the line and covert operations. We are currently considering the 25th and 26th units together or using the Clawless Unit.”

“Clawless Unit?” he repeated. From the corner of his vision, Teal turned away slightly. “What unit is that?”

“They are the Colorless, Your Highness,” one of the nobles answered.

He stared at the nobleman for a moment, digesting the information and the implications of what he just said. Colorless being on the field wasn’t a surprise. It was common knowledge that their options were either ostracization and isolation or redemption through military service. Any who served until their dismissal or death had their Colorless status overwritten and their families redeemed. The issue wasn’t with their treatment, it wasn’t something in his power to change, the issue was their lack of blessings. Up against the Marharden Empire, whose metalworking far exceeded that of Kheonyth’s, without the natural defenses provided to them by Bel’ekah’s blessing, they would be slaughtered in droves.

“We can’t use them as the vanguard,” Kieran said after a moment of silence. “They’ll just be throwing away their lives.”

Overlord Kaal’un’s intense and questioning gaze fell on him. “Against an angel, anyone below that of a High Demon would be mere child’s play. It is in the best interests of our country that the Colorless are the ones who lead the attack.”

“Are you saying it’s okay to just sacrifice all of them?”

“Are you suggesting sacrificing the other units is alright, then?” Kieran had no response. “Your Highness, is new to warfare. And thus, I cannot blame you for falling into the same trap many have. However, as a prince and commander, it is your duty to look past the suffering of the few to save the many. They are Colorless, the absolute minority among our people. They are unloved by Bel’ekah, fated since birth to do nothing, to become nothing. They have no purpose. To believe in their worth, to pray for their success, is naught but folly.” Kaal’un turned away from the table, “Your opinion has been noted, Your Highness. We will decide at a later date.”

 


 

After a day and a half of walking, they had made it to their position on the Haald Plains. They were the first there and were waiting for the Crown Prince’s army, the remnants of Prince Akeron’s men, now split among various nobles, and for General Vamz’s army. Camp was set up and they were winding down for the night. Although it was called the Haald Plains, a portion of it had rather large hills with some lightly forested areas. The plains used to be two separate, smaller plains similar to the Vayson and Lancur Mountain Ranges. The name changes came after The Sundering when part of the mountains were completely flattened in the battle between the gods, creating the landscape they knew now. The Haald Plains were named after the god, Haaldir, who fell in the battle and whose body was absorbed by the land.

As a prince and fledgling commander, Kieran was left with control over his old group and given additional command of another unit of his choosing. The unit would consist of fifty to a hundred soldiers who would be under his leadership. Overlord Kaal’un offered it most likely out of courtesy and to save him some face among the nobles, but he wished he hadn’t. Other than coming up with some ideas, the only commanding he did in his last battle was order the charge. Me’dun and Belen took initiative and control during the heat of the moment stuff.

He walked toward the edge of the camp as he searched for Alexandra. It was an excuse to clear his mind. So far, nothing with Teal was resolved or on the path to being resolved yet. Seeing her still gave him mixed emotions, and there was never any time to talk to her alone. Teal tried to speak with him after the topic of the Colorless had been brought up, but he avoided her even though it was against his own interests.

He sighed as he looked up at the moon. It had reached its peak a few days ago and now it was waning. In a little over two weeks it would be gone. By that time would he stop having doubts? By that time, would he have spoken to Teal about the past?

His thoughts were interrupted by a boy, a young man by this world’s standards, who tripped while carrying a pot of leftovers. Kieran helped him to his feet and he murmured, “Thank you very much.” He looked fifteen, maybe younger. He was short with thin arms. Lukewarm stew made of boiled grains and vegetables stained his tattered shirt, he wore pants he’d outgrown, and wore shoes with holes in them. Though he had short hair, it was uneven and messy. A gust of wind blew up a collective of his blonde strands he hadn’t cut to match. He tried lifting the pot again but struggled, despite a portion of its contents spilled on the ground.

“Ah… Thank you again but you don’t have to do that,” he said as Kieran grabbed the pot.

“No worries. Just tell me where you want this,” Kieran replied.

The young man didn’t seem to recognize him. He led Kieran further and further from the camp until it felt like they were in a different camp altogether. Walking in front of them were a dozen other men carrying the same kinds of pots with leftover foods. Was this where everything was disposed of and cleaned?

When they made it closer, another, older man with a limp took it off his hands. He placed it over a dying fire and said, “Thank you for helping Wes here. I’m Belthane, the leader of this unit. May I ask your name?”

“I’m Kieran,” he said.

Belthane nodded. “That is a fine name. If you are comfortable, why not join us for a meal. Of course, if you only wanted a bowl that’s good and well. There’s no need to be seen with us.”

“Why would that bother me?” He glanced between their tents and the tents of the main camp. Theirs were shoddy and filled with holes as if they were given them on purpose. Their fires were made out of twigs and their seats were rotted logs. Belthane’s clothes, as well as the clothes of the others nearby, were in the same condition as Wes’s. Two fingers were missing from each of Belthane’s hands.

“Well, we are… Colorless.” He forced out the words like they were some kind of lump in his throat. Belthane and Wes looked ready to receive some kind of beratement as they hung their heads.

“I’d love to share a meal but I’m not hungry,” as he said the words, he realized it sounded only like an excuse and hurried to justify it. “I already ate and I came here to look for someone. She’s kinda tall, wears a silver lined brown cloak, and has red-err brown hair.” He almost forgot that Teal’s Flow was changing her appearance.

“Oh, I think I saw that woman walk up there,” Belthane pointed to the massive hill that made Kieran’s legs throb from just looking at it. “You two must be part of the prince’s party, aren’t you?”

Kieran nodded, “Yeah, I have to get her for him. Thanks for letting me know. Maybe I’ll join you guys some other time.”

He waved goodbye and made his way up the gigantic hill. Once he reached the top, he saw something he wasn’t expecting. Sure, he saw the so-called ‘Red Hills’ that they were supposed to fight at and some dim light from there, but he also saw two people standing side by side looking at those hills. Alexandra wasn’t alone. She was with Me’dun.

They noticed his presence.

“It has been an honor to see you again,” Me’dun said to Alexandra before turning to him. “Good evening, Your Highness. Were you looking for me, or your attendant here?”

He stared at them, “You know each other?”

“No,” Alexandra said. “I do not recall ever meeting him.”

“It’s as she says, Your Highness. Our knowledge of the other is one-sided as it is for nearly everyone in this world. I will take my leave if you do not need me.”

“Yeah, have a good one,” Kieran said as Me’dun left. Alexandra didn’t turn around. She stayed focused on the Red Hills. “What were you two talking about?” He felt like teasing her a bit and added, “Was he interested in you?”

“It is not so,” she said bluntly.

You’re no fun at all.

“I was joking.”

She ignored him and continued, “We were recalling the past.”

The past?

“You mean…”

“When I still appeared on the battlefield.”

“Right, Kalstras said something like that before. It should be around seventeen years now?”

“Yes, seventeen years, one month, and eight days.”

One month and eight days? So she stopped in early spring around a month ago? Isn’t that when she usually goes to the temple?

Her eyes remained on the hills beyond, “Young Master.”

“What is it?” he asked. Something about her tone was off. It felt lighter somehow.

“The other day, I saw Teal assist you with your armor.”

He scratched his head, “You saw that huh?”

“Have you two begun speaking again?”

“What do you mean? I always speak with her during our lessons.”

“I believe you should try.”

“...” Her response caught him off guard. “I… I have been trying.”

“Do you need assistance?”

He looked at her. Was this even Alexandra? This had to be her, unless Teal’s magic messed with her mind. “W-What do you mean?”

“You may use me as practice. Pretend I am Teal and speak with me.”

What the heck is happening?

“Uh...”

“Please, go ahead.”

“Um, so, Teal, I was feeling a bit bad about uh, the past three years. You know, how I’ve been kinda mean and all-”

“Stop. Your language and demeanor are stilted. Be clear in your answer, resolute in your actions.”

“That’s easy for you to say.”

“...Try again.”

He sighed, “Alright. Teal, I wanted to talk about how I’ve been acting for the past three years. I haven’t really been fair to you and just wanted to apologize.”

“I know not how you do it, Young Master. The language has improved but it does not seem much better.”

He ran his hands through his hair, “Maybe that’s because I’m not talking to Teal, and maybe that’s because you’re not responding.”

“Hmm, it seems we will get nowhere with this.”

“You think?” his tone was filled with exasperation. “I’d feel better practicing with a tree.”

“Have you tried?”

“I have, thank you very much. It wasn’t very helpful either.”

She looked at him for the first time in their conversation. “Perhaps advice is the better assistance. Three years ago, at the Loftus Manor, do you remember what I told you?”

He shook his head, “No, not really.”

“I told you to commit, Young Master. Commit to the path you have chosen. Commit to your choice. Only when you have purpose may you continue forward.”

Purpose was it? For someone like him, for a Colorless, could he have purpose? A year and a half ago, when he had just turned fifteen, when he was still in the palace, he found out that he was Colorless. A disgrace to all the Blessed. Not much phased him, but that left a bitter taste in his mouth just like what the Overlord said yesterday. It was like the whole world was telling him he was nothing but a loser. It was like they were saying he was no better than in his past life.

The memory came flooding back to him.

 

---

His Colorlessness was reported to all his family members, but they shut down its spread immediately. The only people outside his blood relatives to know were Alexandra and Teal. They were there when it happened, when he failed to produce any ‘gifts’. Alexandra had muttered, “Unfortunate.” While Teal had kept quiet. A part of him was glad she stayed silent. He might have snapped at her otherwise.

That evening, Teal knocked on his doors, six hours after they knew he was Colorless, “Young Master, may I come in?”

“Sure,” he said, dejected. Normally, seeing her would have put him in a sour mood, but he was too tired to care. Maybe he wanted to let her in to blow up at her. For the second time in his life, he saw Teal without a horn. She retracted it to talk to him. The gesture was in good faith but it made him angry.

“Young Master about today-”

“If you’re here to mock me just get out. I’m not feeling well,” he said, turning away from her in his bed.

The room was silent for a while. Then, he heard her walk closer and kneel down. “Young Master,” her voice was soft. “I have never once looked down on you. I have never once thought you deserved to be mocked. You… Even if you’re Colorless, even if your entire family and the entire world think nothing of you, I won’t.”

She got up and he heard her by the door. “I believe in you.”

---

 

Kieran stopped recalling the past and cleared his throat as he mustered a response to Alexandra. “Okay, thanks. I’ll try talking to her soon.”

“I pray it goes well for you, Young Master,” Alexandra said as she looked into the distance once again. He’d known Alexandra for almost his entire life, but in her eyes were emotions too deeply hidden for him to understand. Under her breath, he heard something, a whisper he wasn’t sure was real, a whisper he wasn’t sure was for him.

“I wish for nothing but your happiness.”

3