Chapter 50: Calm Waters (4)
142 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The forest shook. Like an avalanche, the distant rumblings quickly grew louder and more violent. Nagi skewered one of the wolves picking at the boy, Slenn, and repelled the other with a water bolt. She threw him over her shoulder and grabbed Kieran’s hand. “Run!”

Either she was stronger and faster than she looked, or he was already at his limit. Running took every ounce of effort not to trip and fall over. The wolves were hot on their heels. Alone, she might have fought them off, but not with Slenn over her shoulder and Kieran out of strength. Birds that rested in the treetops scattered, parting like a crowd before a king. A powerful and angry king.

Nagi swung her glaive with one hand, letting herself spin with it, yet never losing her balance. It caught the front legs of two wolves and they tumbled over. The others spread themselves out, running alongside them and keeping a safe distance. Soon, they wouldn’t have to do a single thing. The langqart, cloaked in tree shade, barrelled toward them, its silver hair gleaming as it caught the light.

Though it ran on two legs, it was faster than all of them. Even more so when it dropped to all fours in some kind of bloodfrenzy. Like the signs of Corrupted, its massive and muscular shoulders tore apart chunks of trees when they collided, toppling them. They were almost there, the edge of the forest, the base of the mountain was in sight.

“Take him!” Nagi gave Slenn to Kieran as she slowed to a near stop.

Before he could argue, the lanqart’s razor sharp claws came down on her. She blocked it and spun back, making sure the wolves weren’t closing in. “Keep going,” she screamed. A pair of wolves still pursued him and Slenn. Kieran blasted one with a shadow bolt and crossed the edge of the forest. Though the last one trailed for a bit, it didn’t take a step into Mist Mountain.

Nagi avoided fatal strikes by a hair. Whirlwinds of blows and parries, blurred afterimages of their movements, Nagi danced like flowing water while the langqart was a raging fire, thrashing about. For a moment, he thought she could do it, that she could win. He was wrong.

She had managed to backpedal to the forest’s boundary with only a few minor cuts. However, as the langqart’s next attack came down, she faltered. Her legs and arms, after withstanding so much, buckled under the weight. She rolled out of danger but the wolf that had chased Kieran pounced on her.

Jarl und vass!”

Blown away, it crashed into the langqart, but it had bit into Nagi’s shoulder. With help from her glaive, she got up and hurried toward the mountain’s base. He cast numerous spells, pelting the monsters and holding them back.

Through the shadowy residue of one of his attacks, the langqart appeared. Nagi turned at the last moment, and the claws raked down her arm. As wound up for the finishing blow, arrows and elemental bolts repelled it. The guards had arrived. They ran to her aid and the monsters reluctantly retreated, the langqart in particular keeping its wide eyes focused on them.

When they returned to the safety of the village, the herbalist was there at the entrance. He began treating his son’s wounds as tears clouded his vision. A crowd gathered and homes were offered as spots for immediate treatment. Nagi was still conscious, though the pain was evident in her often cold expression. Her mask now hung from her waist.

She and Slenn were taken to be treated inside while his wounds were only quickly looked at. A few cuts and the like. Bandages were applied and the healer rushed to join the others. As he sat there, wondering how he survived another encounter with that monster, a man in a half-mask, Alknoi, emerged from the house.

“You useless outsider!” He kicked Kieran’s chest, knocking the wind out of him. “Not only did you ignore the Saintess’ order, you almost got her killed because of your recklessness! Guest or not, expect no mercy from me. Your punishment will have you wish those monsters tore you apart by the pieces.” He gripped Kieran by the collar and dug into his side with his spear.

“Let him go, Alknoi.”

“He is under the protection of the divine family. You have no authority in this matter.”

Michiko and Kazuki came to his rescue. The pair stood behind him with glaring eyes. Parts of the crowd that had gathered in worry over Nagi and the herbalist’s son were beginning to notice, especially since the two were some of the few that wore such traditional styled clothes.

“Our job is to protect the Saintess and this village. By wandering blindly into the forest after being denied and incurring the wrath of the langqart, I believe this has become my problem to deal with.” His grip tightened and Kieran grimaced. Fighting back would only cause more trouble, and he was already low on Essence reserves. He’d have to count on them for this one.

Kazuki grabbed the spear and Michiko placed her hand over his fist. “Let him go,” they said in unison.

The stand off felt like it went on for an eternity. The spear still dug into his side, but after another moment, Alknoi threw him to the ground, spitting as he left. “I’ll be watching you, outsider.”

 


 

A few hours had passed and it was now afternoon. Nagi was resting in her room, attended by a few healers as well as Michiko. Kazuki attempted the usual chores, though he took much longer and often missed entire areas. Kieran offered to help but he was shot down and told to rest. He tried, yet kept getting distracted. So, he took a walk.

He didn’t make it far before he had to sit down. Watching over the town-sized village, he noticed an immaculate carriage lined with gold and colored in a regal red, adorned with carved beasts, approach. Surrounding it were a group of warriors, all wearing full masks with a variety of expressions. The carriage made its way through the village and then up the hill toward him.

Kieran, unsure of what was happening, retreated inside and informed Kazuki. He froze, then dropped the mop and dashed into Nagi’s room. A ruckus ensued with loud protests from the healers. Kazuki then popped out and ushered Kieran to the door. “H-Hey. What are you doing?”

“You and I are going to keep whoever it is busy.”

“What the hell are you-”

It was too late. Kazuki slid the door open, pushed Kieran out, and then closed it. He stumbled forward, almost falling over. He caught himself at the last step and looked up to see a retinue of unamused guards. They blocked the carriage’s doorway but once it opened, they stepped to the side in unified order. Stepping out from it was a young woman likely a few years older than Nagi.

Emerald green eyes peeked at him from behind a floral patterned fan. One of the guards held out a hand and she took it, letting him ease the impact of the ground pressing against her dainty feet. Adorned with a single jade clip, her intricately styled black hair further carved a clear silhouette, visible despite the shadows of the carriage. She closed her fan, handing it off, and smiled.

“Greetings. I am Fei, the Saintess of Dewdrop Village.”

“It is an honor to be in your presence,” Kazuki said with a deep bow, pinching Kieran’s side.

“I-It’s an honor.”

“Please, be at ease. I have come for a friendly visit. Where is Nagi?”

“Miss Nagi is currently tending to the Sacred Shrine.”

“Is that so? I suppose it cannot be helped as did fail to send word of our arrival,” she said as her eyes lingered on Kieran. “I had heard the assistants of the Mizuno Family were a boy and girl of the same age.”

Kazuki nodded, “Yes, that is correct. Michiko is attending Miss Nagi. I am the other, Kazuki. Please do not hesitate to ask anything of me.”

She laughed lightly, “I will be sure to take you on your offer. May I ask who you are, then?”

“I’m Ren. I was save-” A pinch from Kazuki stopped him.

“He’s a guest.”

“Is that so?” She ascended the steps and observed him from up close. Past her well practiced smile, a near imperceptible coldness radiated out. Was a thought or her mood that produced it? Maybe it was just who she was. “Forgive me, but you are not of this mountain, are you?”

He glanced at Kazuki for direction. Fei’s presence kept him silent.

I guess I can say I’m not from here.

“I’m a traveller.”

“Oh? And what brings you here? You don’t seem like a trader,” she said, trying to corner him.

“Well, I was sheltered most of my life so I wanted to go and explore the world a bit,” he replied. It was partially true. Hopefully that would be good enough to sate her curiosity.

She suddenly grabbed his hand. Cold yet warm delicate fingers traced his palms and calluses. Her retinue spread themselves wide, hands firmly clasped onto their weapons, all watching with the same implicit threat Alknoi had displayed before the day’s events. Her eyes began to shimmer as his hand tingled.

“Interesting. I had thought you a man from the Empire, yet your palm reads you as a traveller from the West. A Blessed… A Colorless.”

He couldn’t see him, but he heard Kazuki’s breath catch in his throat. As she continued, his palm grew uncomfortably hot. His Essence he’d spent much of the day recovering. swirled and channeled into his hand. It was as if he held a flame and his Essence was the fuel. He tried pulling away but his arm was locked.

“There is noble heritage in you. A line of powerful beings. Your Essence is strange, almost otherworldly. Oh, what is this? Your Flow is distorted. Confused. Years of stagnation, of complacence. Something is making it move. Anger? Fear? Hatred? Or, perhaps…”

The door opened and Fei’s smile widened. “What are you doing to my guest,” Nagi said with her usual cold expression. She wore a silky blue dress and her hair was wrapped in a bun. Michiko stood behind her, concealing her shortness of breath.

“I’m giving him a palm reading,” Fei answered.

“Stop, then. Your ability should not be used on the unsuspecting.”

“How do you know he’s unsuspecting? Aren’t you being too harsh on me?” Fei let go of his hand and moved toward Nagi. “You’ve sure grown since I last saw you, our dear Muddy Water Princess.”

Her eyes narrowed into a glare. Cresting the hill, Alknoi arrived with two other guards and a rather unassuming man dressed in whites and blues. Alknoi stepped aside. The man, somewhere in his forties by Kieran’s guess based off the laugh lines and crow's feet, opened his arms wide. “Welcome to Stillwater Village, Dewdrop Saintess.”

Like that, the tension released. Fei’s speech, previously slipping from formality, returned. “Lord Mirth, thank you for having me.”

“Of course,” he beamed, voice booming. “Thank you for always watching over my daughter.”

As they spoke, Nagi stood completely still, her mind wandering elsewhere and showing the slightest crack in her expression.

 


 

Kieran shot up, covered in sweat. He scanned the room but he was alone. Air scraped the back of his throat. His tongue, dry as sand, failed to force back any saliva. Throwing on a shirt, he wandered outside to find some water. Kazuki and Michiko refilled the buckets at various times in the day and kept them covered in the back.

He tiptoed through the hall careful not to wake anyone and to avoid the creaky spots, few as they were. At the main hall, a light shone through from the back. Someone had left the door open. Through the crack, he saw Nagi at the pond’s edge with her hands planted on her knees. The water rippled as a bead of sweat fell in. At her side was the weapon she’d used that morning to save him.

What is she doing? It’s already past midnight.

The last time he’d interrupted her, things didn’t go so well. She got soaked, and ever since then he’d been in her bad graces, reaping what he hadn’t meant to sow.

Probably best for me to turn back.

On reflex, he swallowed. The muscles involved in the action, still dry, caused him to cough. He froze with a grimace. She couldn’t have heard him, right? No way. She was probably too caught up in whatever she was doing to notice.

Right then, the door opened. “What are you doing?”

Kieran spun around, “I, uh, sleepwalk sometimes.”

She just stared at him.

“Anyway, w-why are you up so late? Shouldn’t you be resting? The healers were making a big commotion-” he started coughing. “Commotion about what you did.”

Nagi sighed, “You came for water, did you not? Follow me.”

She led him to the side of the building where the buckets and basins were. Inside the largest bucket were ladles which she used to scoop the water and handed one to him. Thank god. I thought I’d have to lick my tears or something.

It took two full scoops to satiate his thirst, but Nagi kept drinking. “Uh, you still didn’t answer me…”

She scooped out more water. “I was practicing.”

“You mean the dance from that one time? Where’s your flute?”

“The flute is used to help my concentration. If I want to be better, it is best I limit my use of it. Besides, there are others who are sleeping. It would be rude of me to wake them with my playing.”

That’s really considerate, but couldn’t she have thought of that back when I was sleeping so we wouldn’t have gotten off on the wrong foot? No, wait. Maybe it’s because that happened that she’s no longer playing when others are sleeping. Well, I was also in a really bad state so it makes sense she’d just play.

“You should return to bed. Your wounds have yet to fully heal and your exertions this morning are likely to have reopened them. In the worst case, you may be forced to stay another month or longer.” She put the ladle back and started walking off.

“Do you hate me that much?”

The words came out without much thought. Maybe it was the lack of sleep. Maybe it was the nightmare. Maybe the cause of the outburst were the multiple days he’d spent being ignored after getting dragged around by assistants that listened too closely to their master’s words.

“I do not hate you.”

“Then what is it? I mean, I appreciate all you’ve done for me, really. I know I also screwed up your practice once, but whenever I try to talk to you, you just ignore me or brush me off. If you want me to leave so much, just say so. I’m sick of everyone just pretending that I won’t notice anything if nobody talks about it. And Alknoi, that asshole, attacked me today. Threatened me too.”

Nagi stopped and there was silence. A warm wind blew as she took a breath and thought. Kieran also took the silence as a chance to recollect himself. Why waste his energy arguing about these things when he wouldn’t be seeing them for much longer anyway. He should be focusing on recovering and thinking about what to do after he does.

Just give me another cold response so I can go back to sleep.

“I-I… I know I have come off coldly,” she said, the usual sting missing from her tone. “The festival is near and there is much for me to do as the Saintess. You are welcome to stay as long as you need. I will not force you out nor do I want to. As for Alknoi, I speak with him.” She paused for a moment. “Ren…”

The shift in tone had completely caught him off guard. “W-What?”

“Your wish. You should-”

And then, there was a roar followed by a horrible crash that echoed through the mountain.

4