Ch 57. Waiting for a new business trip
513 2 20
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I drank tea from the thermos. The fight ended and the garrison was captured. It was the first major success of the allied forces, so they must be planning to continue the advance.

“I’m glad we can rest. Funny thing that we managed to limit the casualties. I heard those guys outright slaughter the enemies but now they had to take them captives.” (J)

I suppose we deserve a bit of rest. Line up, I will shoot you, since you will be resting only in graves!

At least say we did well.” (O)

You did well, now, arbeiten!


The crew was tasked with cleaning weapons, and restocking ammo, where possible. First we need to know what is going to happen, only then we can rest.

I entered a damaged building, the duke’s old mansion. I heard that his main mansion was looted and razed, so this is the only acceptable accommodation.

What can I do, Ma’am?” An aide saluted.

Where are the chiefs?

His Grace is holding a council with the commanding officers. Would you like me to lead you there?” (Aide)

Yes, please.

If I didn’t know there is a council, I wouldn’t even know about it. There were no shouts and arguments, and the place where the council was taking place was not conspicuous.

Good for them.

This door, please.” The aide opened the door.

The attendees went silent. Valencio beckoned me to enter.

My Friend, I would like you to stay silent. Not only about the contents of this meeting but also stay silent during the speech. It is not a talk that can be leaked.” I nodded and sat at the table.

I will bring you up to speed. The city is under our complete control. The subjects are loyal and no uprisings are expected. For now, we will prepare to continue the war. You and your people can rest.” (V)

After I confirmed the information by nodding, Valencio continued.

As I was saying, we must increase the production of swords and spears. I entrust this to…” Most of the discussed issues were related to logistics and mobilization. I was hearing with one ear and was thinking about the current needs of my crew.

An hour later, the duke finished giving the tasks.

Captain Belov, I would like your attention now. As soon as we gather the levy, my army will continue moving. Our next target is the capital. I wish to use you as the vanguard. You will have to make a clear path for the main army, and, if possible, capture the capital from get-go. Just do what can be done.” (V)

Let’s imagine we arrived there. What are you going to do?

We will lay siege and try to capture the capital. The royal family might still be there.” (V)

How much time do we have to prepare?

Ha-ha, you have a lot of time. The subjects are not levied immediately. If you wish to move out right now, I would actually try to stop you. Please, stay here for at least some time.” (V)

I am not stranger to military expedience. Tell me when you have orders. We can be mobilized for action within one hour.

Then I will rely on you.” Valencio approached and patted my shoulder, despite murmurs among the commanders.


We were accommodated at one of the houses at the main street. Its previous owners met a hasty demise but the building itself was intact.

I tried opening the lock but the keys were all wrong.

This piece of s* does not cooperate!

“Give me the keys.” (J)

Try it.” Jester was trying to insert the keys but nothing happened.

So?

Don’t taunt me.” He tried to push a key inside the keyhole but nothing fit.

I had no intention to.

“Step back, I’ll open it the old-fashioned way.” He threw the keys back to me and after I stepped away from the door, Jester kicked it a couple of times.

Crack

Good job.” I clapped, since he managed to break a couple of planks but not the lock.

Go to hell. It really hurts.” (J)

Oh, my poor little a*hole~, should Daddy pat you~?

What is it, ‘Grandpa’? Did you decide that if you stick a sausage between your legs you’ll become a man?This little…

BANG

That was ‘a bit’ too close, Captain…” (J)

But I opened the door, didn’t I?” I kicked the door and its shot lock didn’t resist.

What are you waiting for, idiots? Do you need a special invitation?

20