Ch 96. Dilemma of the besieged
288 1 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Some compare what they deem invincible with a fortress, or claim that fortresses are capable of withstanding long and harsh sieges.

However, it is also a huge stone trap for its defenders.

Ever since the enemy ended up with hostiles on both sides, their situation became dire. The allied troops were in the middle of constructing their siege camp and siege engines, while GRU were done with scouting the major military objects within the city and proceeded with diversions.

The allies were scattered around the castle to maintain encirclement. They focused a lot of their efforts on gathering wood and on earthworks, approaching the day when the enemy would have no option but to stay holed up in the trap.

The outcome was predictable.

BUUUUUU

The hell is going on?” Jester put down a bowl of porridge and looked in the direction of the city.

It was impossible to exactly figure out what happened out there, since the area where we are staying is somewhat separated from the rest of the positions, so we can avoid detection. However, one thing was unmistakable: it was a horn, coming from the allies’ positions.

Do you think they would suddenly give a loud signal for no reason?

Save your sarcasm, please!” Jester started packing up, while I doused the fire.

Combat alert!” I said in the radio.

In the second we stopped all the useless arguments and rushed to the tank. If we are mistaken, it would only mean a waste of fuel, but if my premonition is right, then we are in for a hard day.

By the time we climbed on the turret, Old man was already here and started the engine.

wwwwWWRRRR

The surroundings were filled with diesel fumes, and after a short waiting, the tank started rolling.

Slower. Turn left, 90. Bring us to that hill.” The hill that blocks the line of sight with the capital’s walls offers us another advantage: we get a good firing position.

The tank slowly crawled to the top of the hill and stopped.

WHERE DO YOU THINK YOU ARE GOING?!” Jester shouted when I opened the hatch.

I need a better visibility. From this far they shouldn’t hit me. Be ready to fire.” I stood up on the seat and that was enough for me to see from behind the hatch.

Ahead of us were the allied positions filled with tents, groundworks, and wood. Here and there I could see half-finished shield-like constructions made of logs, as well as several trebuchets and catapults in assembly. The allied positions were in chaos, as soldiers and workers hurried around.

Far ahead from there, on the no-man’s land were deployed several formations of infantry under the allied banners.

Through the binoculars I could see that they were preparing to engage the enemy forces that sortied through a gate.

My best estimate would be us having 300-400 infantry in total, against the ever-increasing quantities of enemy.

Looks like they want to try breaking out, while there are too few forces here.” Then, I dived back.

Jester, what is the range to the allies, to the enemy, and in between them.

He turned the turret left and right between the opposing forces, before answering.

“Allies are 1300 meters away, the enemies are mostly 2200 meters. The spearhead of the assault is 800 meters away from the allies.” (J)

Understood. Load HE and wait.” While the autoloader was doing its magic, I looked at the walls.

I was looking out for the ranged weaponry on the walls. Previously it was mostly idling and there were no artillery duels between the allies and the enemies, however I highly doubted that such an assault would be started without support.

Currently the allied siege engines consisted only of small catapults and large crossbows, which are barely capable of opposing the stationary weapons the enemy may have.

For now, the enemy only had a catapult deployed, and it was shooting at the siege camp. The problem is that I saw them dragging over more long-range weaponry.

Normally it would not be an issue: just shoot them while they are on the move, but high-explosive munitions have a very nasty side-effect, and that is the shrapnel.

There are civilian buildings right by the walls, and there was a large chance of killing non-combatants. Currently the enemy artillery did not pose any threat, so I decided to ignore it until later.

Azimuth 340, range 2100. Fire HE at the infantry.

“Understood!” (J)

The gun slowly turned towards the marching infantry. The spearhead troops were left to the allies, while we targeted the follow-ups of heavy infantry and spearmen.

Shooting!” (J)

BOOM

11