Ch 103. When the smoke has settled
215 1 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Copy. Good job. Make sure not to throw in additional chaos.

I glanced at the smoke in the city, and sighed.

Today’s endeavor was aimed at causing the enemy army to lose as much as they can lose: weapons, production, supplies, safety.

However, there were more targets remaining.

First and foremost, the enemy’s gunpowder stockpiles were not found yet. Enemy cannons and hook guns will continue to be a pain for the allies.

Next were the targets that we couldn’t even touch.

There are four towers in the capital. They are high enough to be seen from behind the outer wall. From Valencio’s words those were once a part of the city’s wall but then the wall was dismantled and the towers were left to suppress the rabble, and to provide overview points for… young and amorous noble knights…

My, just who was the genius who came up with such an idea?!

Who? Nobody knows, but it is a well-known fact that some influential nobles are using their post to bring their lovers ‘to have a wonderful view’.” Valencio emptied a cup of wine, and glanced to his side, at the map.

No matter how you are going to do this, the towers will prove to be a problem.” (V)

Is there a way to avoid dealing with them?

Only if you know how to avoid passing either of the squares in the capital. In short, no.” (V)

The main issue with those installations is their height and width. You can have artillery fire at them, but the shells will miss, killing civilians. And even if you hit, the falling tower will crush a lot of them.

Our tank’s HE shells are not enough to destroy the towers, and neither can we confidently hit them all.

So, I needed a way to hit the mostly-wooden top of the towers to break it, but also hit it hard enough to destroy it for sure and with no chances to repair it in this century.


While I was pondering on how to do this, the guys were trying to pull the tracks back on the road wheels. Even for three that would be a tough work, but with me being counted out it was supposed to be even harder.

Arbeiten, you sloths! I want this tank driven away by 4 o’clock!It was SUPPOSED to, but with a dozen more men the work should’ve progressed faster.

Again, should have.

One! Two! Pull! One! Two! Pull!” Their half-hearted efforts were the reason for even the frist track not being done.

I sighed and stared at a bedsheet spread in front of me. There was the Kord, disassembled. The annoying duke was attentively looking at my work, occasionally shying away when I was getting agitated.

Despite all the problems I face due to my current state, I remain the part of the crew. And being a part of a tank crew means sharing all the burdens we have. I may be a feeble girl now, but I was still able to at least make myself useful by repairing the machine gun broken not long ago.

Disassembling is a very meditative process, only due to which I was yet to murder either Valencio, or my dumba*es. The former due to him almost botching the entire battle plan and us having to repair all equipment because of that.

Arrgh…!” I couldn’t help clenching my fist just after thinking about all the work it would take to reinstall the damaged parts.

The targeting systems, the ERA blocks, the machine gun, the active protection system lights, and even the God damned side skirts…

Haaaa…” My hands would lose strength every time I remembers the yet-to-be-finished list of equipment we are to replace.

Not only the entirety of equipment outside is broken, we would need to assess everything inside too, because some components, like the gun elevation motors, could be broken after the fight. If replacing a HMG mount is somewhat easy, then replacing the parts of the cannon would require measures like lifting off the turret. THE GOD DAMNED TURRET!

AAAAARGH!!! YOU MOTHERF*S!!!” I swung fists at the fortress, and only after I blew off some steam I continued my work.

Hours later we were done with the initial part of our work: the tank was once again mobile, and the Kord was cleaned. I gathered the crew to discuss our course of action.

8