Author’s Introduction
157 0 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

So, what is this story about?

Well, I discussed the potential of this story with a few readers on AH.com and SB.com. Basically, the premise is that Earth is doomed. A very large asteroid is heading towards Earth at frightening speed, giving the entire planet just over three months (100 days) to live. ICBMs are ineffective, and the nations of the world do not have an answer to this giant monstrosity that threatens to cause a K-T Event.

The governments of the world suppress the news, but obviously, people discover it one way or another rather quickly. After a few weeks or so, the entire planet panics and chaos ensues. It truly looks as though the seven billion inhabitants of Earth are heading towards certain doom, with nothing in their arsenal to save themselves.

Yet, one hope does emerge in the most unlikely of places. A God (or an alien, or an ascended being) decides to take pity on Earth and places a portal in... Korea. Specifically, the portal is a piece of technology (that is beyond Earth's wildest dreams) that opens up a gate between modern Korea and 1592 Korea (though, if scientists and researchers on Earth understood the technology behind the portal, it could be opened in any time period).

You can pretty much guess where this story is leading to. Korea accidentally discovers this portal and decides to evacuate into 1592 Korea in masse. They have a time limit of 100 days (until the asteroid strikes). However, Korea will not be the only nation going through the portal, as other powers will come into play...

Are you continuing your "American Dream" story?

Of course. That is my main project, and I have yet to finish the Anglo-American War. However, this story will definitely get some regular attention from me, though I will be only updating every week or so. I still have a lot to research about this time period, and I actually had to ask my parents about a lot of historical facts about Joseon (including the Korean caste system, slavery, clans, etc). It's still a work in progress, though I will try my best to keep it interesting and informative.

What is this story going to be like?

Unlike the "American Dream" story, I will not be making this story into a mix of POVs and historical essays. Instead, I will focus solely on three or four POVs (our first POV was shown in this chapter). There may be an occasional outside POV (especially from the "downtimers") to demonstrate their reactions, but most of the story will be based around the select POVs.

Additionally, I will make sure that this story is actually a "story." By that, I mean that I will not neglect story-telling in favor of history-telling.

So what will Korea do after it finds the portal?

Well... It'll take a day or two to figure out how the portal works and check if it's safe for humans... But once they do, I would expect a massive construction effort to build up the other side, mass evacuation, and then "invade" 1592 Korea (which is already being invaded by Japan anyways, see the "Imjin War").

This is actually the most ideal time for modern Korea to take over the Korean Peninsula. The Korean government has completely fled to Pyongyang (and they will flee again to Uiju if the Japanese close in on Pyongyang). The Korean peasants (the pyongmin class) are in open revolt as they feel betrayed by their king (and they will be massacred by the advancing Japanese soldiers). The Korean Army is nonexistent, and while the Japanese Army numbers at 200,000 strong, they're no match against hundreds of thousands of modern Korean soldiers armed with assault rifles...

So, 16th Century Republic of Korea. Though, the nation will take a long time to sort things out. Nobles will need to be uprooted. Slaves (nobi class) will need to be freed. The entire nation will need to reform and industrialize...

Wait, Imjin War? Does that mean "You-Know-Who" will appear?

Yes, Admiral Yi Sun-shin will make an appearance in the story. And let's just say that more than a few modern Koreans will kinda revere him as a god.

Will the scope of the story expand as the story goes on (ie, to different countries)?

Most definitely! The story will focus heavily on Korea (or Joseon, as it was known in the 16th century), but it will definitely provide glimpses of other nations affected by Korea's sudden change. A lot of Americans will come along for the journey, and the readers will also see their struggle to rebuild the United States across the pond.

7