(10) Trust is Just That Hard to Foster
12 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 10: Trust is Just That Hard to Foster

“Forget it, let’s bring her. I’ll take her to buy winter clothing later.”

“Hm.” And their journey was decided just like that.

He JiYang went to tell Nie Lan and was met with the girl’s pear blossom eyes dripping tears like crystal. Nie Lan knew if they left her alone, even with some money she would meet misfortune sooner or later. The sense of relief that washed over her couldn’t be expressed in words, and paired with the life-saving favour from yesterday, she inwardly vowed to give up her life for He JiYang.

He JiYang was uncomfortable meeting someone elses’ tears, and awkwardly tried to comfort her. However, Nie Lan’s face could enchant the soul, and when she stared so sincerely, He JiYang felt like she gained a cute little sister that she just wanted to spoil.

Nie Lan was a mortal, so she needed to eat proper food. He JiYang, with her slight gluttonous nature, decided to accompany her, and they went to a street stall to eat guoba cai. There was a sense of comfort from the mung bean crepe noodles and the jovial atmosphere.

They planned to go cultivate in seclusion in the Winter Everest region. Nie Lan was a mortal, so preparations such as food and clothing were necessary. However, given their entanglements in this city, He JiYang decided they should leave as quickly as possible and stock up somewhere else.

As they left the city, she still felt upset from her helplessness, and bought a tang hulu from a shabby-looking vendor sitting in a small booth by the city outskirts. It was already autumn, and the weather was getting colder. However, the vendor was still dressed in muddy and patched clothing, trying to promote his straw bundle of snacks.

Suddenly, a strong wind blew. As cultivators, it naturally couldn’t affect He JiYang and Mo Jin, but the vendor’s weaved hat almost fell apart. Scattered leaves and dust fell onto the candy coatings, ruining the rest of the vendor’s goods.

“I’ll buy them all.” He JiYang said, feeling a bit sorry for him as she set down some money. The vendor’s weatherworn face immediately brightened upon hearing those words.

As she walked away with a mouth of sweetness, she felt it was a bit strange. Rather than the populated city, someone ran to this desolate clearing surrounded by trees to sell street candy instead?

He JiYang pulled Nie Lan to share a sword with her. Her current level was only Upper Foundation Building, but it wasn’t suitable for Nie Lan to fly with Mo Jin. Therefore, due to the extra burden, their speed was significantly slower.

This was Nie Lan’s first time flying on a sword, and it took a while for her to adjust. She didn’t want to bother He JiYang, so she only grasped tightly onto the hem of the cultivator’s clothes.

At first, she couldn’t stop shaking, and clenched her eyes shut. However, the sword was stable and flew smoothly; soon, Nie Lan was looking excitedly everywhere as the scenery passed by.

They took several breaks throughout the day. The first time they landed, Nie Lan got off the sword with shaky legs, almost collapsing on the floor as she adjusted back to walking on land. He JiYang couldn’t hold back a laugh as she looked at her, reaching an arm to help her up.

As they rested and ate, Nie Lan stared brightly at He JiYang with some of the fanaticism of a mortal in front of cultivators. She had been untrusting and cautious of others all her life yet couldn’t help dropping defenses in front of these two. Perhaps it was because she had nothing they would covet or scheme for, but she felt willing to offer up her beating, bleeding heart with both hands.

However, she didn’t want to bother others, so the entire time she barely said a word. Instead, she ran around trying to help, such as when setting a fire for the night. Seeing her enthusiasm, He JiYang was a little embarrassed to say cultivators could do so with a snap of the fingers. Fortunately, Nie Lan was proficient, and started it easily.

“I’m used to this. I’ve spent a lot of time living outside.” Nie Lan said shyly when she saw He JiYang’s curious gaze, even giving an explanation.

He JiYang smiled again, resisting the urge to pinch Nie Lan’s cheek. This type of utterly adorable and sweet younger sister, who could resist?

She took out some food for Nie Lan. She herself only ate spiritual fruits while Mo Jin quietly cultivated on the side. He JiYang sat by the fire, staring dazedly at the licking wisps of flame as they jumped.

Nie Lan was eating the food before starting to cough lightly. At first, she ignored it, but the cough only got worse, until blood trickled out of the side of her mouth. The girl tasted the coppery flavour and raised her hand to brush against her lips. When she saw the scarlet colour, she mechanically turned her head to look wide-eyed at He JiYang.

The expression of adoration immediately crumpled into shock, despair, and betrayal. Yesterday she went from hell to heaven, yet now she fell right back. She realized she was the only one eating this food; it was so easy for a pair of cultivators to fool and poison a little mortal.

Of course, if she thought clearly, she would have realized her deductions weren’t logical. Unfortunately, at this moment of crisis the thin layer of trust she built up easily shattered.

The poison made her insides feel like a snake, writhing and aching and wringing out blood. However, it couldn’t compare to the sense of hatred in her heart.

As she fainted, Nie Lan vowed that even if she died, she would not let these people go.

He JiYang beside her completely couldn’t understand what was happening. How come the cute little sister suddenly seemed to hate her and completely collapsed?

In contrast, it was Mo Jin who reacted faster. However, he didn’t care about Nie Lan, so he didn’t bother to catch her. Instead, he opened his eyes and watched indifferently as she fell to the ground.

“Poisoned. She thinks we did it.” Seeing that she was still shocked, Mo Jin offered a simple explanation to He JiYang before closing his eyes again and ignoring the matter entirely.


Author's Note: As the title says. Truthfully, YangYang should've reacted in time, but she also doesn't quite trust Nie Lan yet. Therefore, xiao Lan Lan ends up eating a face of mud. Whoops!

1