Battle of Tsushima
48 0 5
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Battle of Tsushima (Russian: Цусимское сражение, Tsusimskoye srazheniye) or the Battle of the Strait of Tsushima was the last and most decisive naval battle of the Japanese-Russian War (1904–1905). The battles took place in the Strait of Tsushima on 27-28 May 1905 (14-15 May according to the Julian calendar then used in Russia) and was the largest naval battle of the Pre-Dreadnought battleship era. The Battle of Tsushima is known in Japan as Nihonkai kaisen (日本 海海 戦, Sea Battle in the Sea of ​​Japan).

 Battle Chronology:

 27 May 1905 (JST)

 4:45 AM Japanese cruiser Shinanomaru in the Joint Fleet of Japan is on a special undercover mission. Shinanomaru's crew saw the Russian Baltic Fleet in the waters west of Kyushu and sent a telegram.

 05:05 The Japanese Joint Fleet departs from the port, and sends a full telegram to Imperial Headquarters, "Today is fine weather but the waves are high." (本 日 天 気 晴朗 な れ ど も 波 高 し Honjitsu tenki seirō naredomo nami takashi) which contains a veiled message about the weapon to be used.

 13:39 The Japanese Joint Fleet saw the Russian Baltic Fleet with the naked eye, and immediately raised the war flag.

 13:55 Distance: 12,000 meters. The battleship Mikasa flies the Z motto flag.

 14:05 Distance: 8,000 meters. The Japanese Joint Fleet begins a maneuver to reverse direction

 14:07 Distance: 7,000 meters. The battleship Mikasa completed the reverse maneuver. The Russian Baltic Fleet opened fire.

 14:10 Distance: 6,400 meters. All of the Japanese ships completed the reverse maneuver.

 14:12 Distance: 5,500 meters. Mikasa was hit by gunfire.

 14:16 Distance: 4,600 meters. The Japanese Joint Fleet began to focus fire on Knyaz 'Suvorov, which was the command ship of the Russian Baltic Fleet.

 14:43 Oslyabya and Knyaz 'Suvorov caught fire.

 14:50 Emperor Alexander III begins to turn north and tries to escape the fighting.

 15:10 The Russian battleship Oslyabya sinks, while Knyaz 'Suvorov tries to escape.

 18:00 The two sides approach each other for the second time (distance: 6,300 m), and again start firing at each other.

 19:03 Emperor Alexander III drowns.

 19:20 The Russian battleships Knyaz 'Suvorov, Borodino and Sisoy Veliki sink.

 May 28, 1905 (JST)

 09:30 Russian Baltic Fleet back within range of Japanese Combined Fleet

 10:34 The Russian commander gave the slogan "XGE", meaning "I surrender" in terms of the International Code of Slogan used at the time.

 10:53 The Japanese accept Russia's surrender.

 Post-Battle of Tsushima The four other battleships under Rear Admiral Nebogatov's command were forced to surrender the following day. Of the four ships there is only one modern warship, the battleship Orel, while the rest are the old battleships of Emperor Nikolay I, and two marine ships Apraxin and Admiral Senyavin. The four ships would not be able to withstand the Japanese fleet attack. Until the night of May 28, only one Russian ship was being chased by the Japanese fleet. The marine Admiral Ushakov refused to surrender and was sunk by the Japanese cruiser. Despite his old age, the cruiser Dmitri Donskoy fought against 6 Japanese cruisers and survived the next day, although it was heavily damaged and had to be sunk. The three Russian cruisers, Aurora, Zhemtchug, and Oleg managed to escape to the United States Navy base in Manila and were detained. On the Russian side, only the fast sailing ship Almaz (classified as Class 2 cruiser) and 2 destroyers made it to Vladivostok.

 Russia lost nearly all of its ships in the Baltic Fleet in combat in the Tsushima Strait. The Japanese lost only 3 torpedo boats (Numbers 34, 35 and 69). This event undermined Russia's international prestige, as well as a major blow to the Romanov dynasty.

 The pre-Dreadnought warships were a generation warship before the HMS Dreadnought was launched by the British around 1906. He used the HMS Dreadnought as the benchmark because at that time the ship reflected changes in design, weapon configuration and others that were different from the previous ships. At that time, as is now required experimentation to get the best battleships.

 The presence of warships before HMS Dreadnought, known as the pre-Dreadnought generation, cannot be separated from the development of the ship itself. When entering the Industrial Revolution, which began with the invention of the Steam Engine by James Watt, which was also followed by the discovery of new methods of processing iron-steel by Henry Bassemer and Siemens. At that time the technology development of sailing ships and sailing warships, especially in the 19th century, had reached a saturation point, one of which was the presence of a clipper type sailing ship that had a speed above the speed of a sailing ship at that time. In addition, ships need a stronger layer to compensate for the force of cannon fire, while at the same time keeping pace with the development of cannon technology and cannon shells, especially when Henry-Joseph Paixhans discovered the time-delay mechanism method, where this bullet was fired horizontally with higher speed and penetrate the ship's wall then explode and cause a large fire inside the ship. The technique, introduced in 1840, was then demonstrated brilliantly when the Russian Navy defeated the Ottoman Navy at the Battle of Sinop in 1853.This Paixhans cannon was later developed by John A Dahlgreen of the United States in 1854 and used in the American Civil War of 1861- 1865. Until the Tsushima naval battle, cannon fire had not been carried out by automatic salvo controlled under one control, but by aiming and firing independently of the cannon crew, which was a legacy from the cannon firing of the wooden construction ships. This required specific skills for the gun crew to aim and fire in a different ship than on land.

 The use of this new type of bullet led ship designers to replace wooden hulls with hulls made of iron. Starting in 1859 appeared the Ironclad type warship, which used an iron hull and became the beginning of the creation of the armored frigate type warship or armed frigate. This ship uses a single gun deck or single deck and is used specifically as a battleship.

 The battle was known as the Battle of the Strait of Tsushima or better known to Japanese people as the War in the Sea of ​​Japan.

 Mikasa who became the Japanese Pre-Dreadnought Ship was the silent witness and perpetrator of the battle that led to the Japanese victory at the Battle of the Tsushima Strait and the sinking of many of the overly confident Russian Pre-Dreadnought ships.

 The Mikasa (三 笠) is a pre-dreadnought battleship built for the Imperial Japanese Navy in the late 1890s, and the only ship of its own class. It was commissioned as Admiral Tōgō Heihachirō's flagship during the Russo-Japanese War of 1904–1905, including the Battle of Port Arthur on the second day of the war and the Battles of the Yellow Sea and Tsushima.

5