Ch.1
2.3k 12 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sunset. Among the large reinforced concrete buildings, on one of the rooftops stood a blonde girl wearing a red-bottomed white lace short skirt and holding a black metal wand. This picture presented a severe contrast to what was under her feet: a monster with a hideous face and body.

 

    "Hmph, you damn demon. Keep trying to run!" The girl yelled as she hit the monster's head with her magic wand fiercely. "Damn, I'm exhausted."

 

    "Roar!" To the girl's impolite behavior, the monster let out a roar of dissatisfaction. The impact of the strong roar caused the nearby water tank to tremble, producing rust and flying debris.

 

    It was a pity that apart from being able to roar, it couldn’t do much else with its petrified body.  It could only lie on the ground obediently. Before being subdued, it was difficult for it to imagine that a pair of white and slender legs possessed such terrifying power.

 

    The day before, it was still a magnificent Roshan demon in Flower City, leaving nothing untouched wherever it passed. However, a day later, it was trampled underfoot by a tiny girl. If this matter was known by the others, it’d have no face to interact with other demons anymore.

 

    Wait, getting caught by the superhero probably meant that its life was over anyway.

 

    "What are you being so loud for? Am I killing a pig*?!" The girl scolded in displeasure at the demon's roaring. "I haven't done anything yet. According to the regulations, I still have to make a report to my superiors!"

*T/N: pigs squeal a lot when they’re being killed.

    As she spoke, the girl took out a red booklet named "The Superhero Code of Country Z" on the cover and read from it. "This is Superhero No. 9527, Hundred Flower Girl. I will now kill you in accordance with the law. You have the right to remain silent, but your silence is useless. If you have anything to say, go tell the king of the underworld, Yama. By the way, the last sentence was my own addition."

 

    After closing the "Z Country Superhero Code", the girl pursed her lips, “How stupid.  The damn "Demon Protection Act" makes things so uselessly complicated. If it were up to me, dangerous threats to society like you should..."

 

    "Little little girl, waking up early in the morning, going to the restroom..." Interrupting her words midway, a mobile phone rang. She hurriedly took out her mobile phone from the white gap in her chest to answer the call.

 

    "Uh, wait a sec. I have to take this call," the girl said to the demon under her feet.

 

    What was this? Blatant contempt? One could be killed but not suffer humiliation*. The girl had already physically tortured it ten minutes ago. Was it going to be mentally abused now?

*T/N: chinese expression that means one’s honor and dignity must be preserved even if it means death 

    The demon was about to open its mouth and roar, but just as it opened his mouth, a hard, thick, and cold wand was stuffed into its mouth. If it weren’t a demon with degenerated tear ducts, it would’ve cried at this moment. 

 

    In this situation, what could it do? It was also in despair! In this era of superheroes, simply being a demon was also high-risk!

 

    "Hey! I'm on a mission..."

 

    After the phone had connected, the girl didn’t even have the time to finish her sentence before the person on the other end of the phone spoke first.

 

    "Bai Zimo, please, please, just go! The producer named you to make that promotional video!"

 

    Hearing the tender pleas from the other end of the phone, Bai Zimo instantly felt goosebumps appear all over his body, and he almost dropped his phone.

 

    "You have guts, demon! What have you done to my captain? Give her the phone!"

 

    "Ahem, I'm Lu Xiaofu, Bai Zimo. I’m just going to ask you this: will you shoot that promotional video or not?"

 

    Bai Zimo stroked his chin, "Give me a reason first? You know that I hate publicity the most."

 

    "As a magical girl, you have a glamorous appearance. Right now the lively girl persona is very popular on the market. As superheroes turn towards the entertainment industry, having a representative like you is crucial."

 

    Bai Zimo pursed his lips, "You’ve seen how my house looks. Something like that can be considered glamorous?"

 

    "Uh...you know, you have a very good figure, perfect for being a model. Having you in the promo will definitely achieve the desired results."

 

    "Haha!" Bai Zimo sneered. "You probably haven’t heard how netizens speak about me on the Internet. Roses are red, violets are blue. Hundred Flower Girl is 1.5 meters tall, she can’t grow any taller. Your 1.7 meter long legs are more suitable for the promo! Besides, I’ve been eating a lot recently and not exercising, so my stomach’s gotten bigger."

 

    "That..." There was silence from the other end of the phone. "I took a filming job here, so I have my hands full. You know that the organization has recently arranged me a lot of jobs like this. My schedule is completely full. .."

 

    "Let me guess, are you filming "War Tiger 5" or "Little Idiot 6"*? Let me tell you, taking too many jobs filming these kinds of badly filmed movie remakes will damage the reputation of superheroes, don’t you know that?"

*T/N: these are chinese movies

 

    "Roar!" Seeming to have gotten impatient, the demon under Bai Zimo's feet roared again. In truth, death was not scary to demons. Driven by negative emotions and their tyrannical power, the moment it had satisfied its desire in attacking, it was ready to die at the hands of the superhero.

 

    Superheroes? They were just really lucky guys! But if one really encountered them, using one or two as foot mats wasn’t a bad idea. 

 

    However, not being afraid of death didn’t mean that it wouldn’t feel the psychological strain of waiting for death. MIss Superhero, please take a look at what you do. Is it humane?

 

    Seeing this, Bai Zimo covered the phone’s microphone with one hand, and made a hushing gesture with the other, saying in a deep voice to the devil, “Hush! Don’t be so impatient, I’ll kill you after I finish this call! The Grim Reaper takes so many souls every day, it won’t notice just one or two missing."

 

    The demon without tear ducts really wanted to cry at this moment. It felt that the power that it had gotten from overeating was gradually turning into anger, although this rage seemed to be useless.

 

    After dealing with the demon, Bai Zimo continued with his conversation.

 

    "I understand what you’re saying, but these are all arrangements from our superiors. Don’t we have to comply?"

 

    "Speak English!"

 

    "You see, we are one of the strongest superhero teams in Country Z. We have to take the lead, don't we?"

 

    "Speak English!"

 

    There was a noticeable silence on the other end of the phone.

 

    "It’s because the damage caused by the recent missions was too great. According to statistics from the Disaster Damage Statistics Bureau, the damage created has exceeded the amount deemed appropriate. The cost of the extra damage has to be deducted from our salary, but the combined salaries of all five of us is not enough to cover the costs, so I have to do more business activities. Please! Just this time, I won’t do it again!"

 

    After listening to the explanation, Bai Zimo frowned and glanced towards the street below the rooftop. She saw a crowd of ant-sized people dashing around the street full of flames and realized that the cause of the fire seemed to be the battle she had just now with the demon.

 

    This level of damage definitely already exceeded this month's allowed amount. How much did it cost to pay street damages? Bai Zimo didn’t know, but what she did know was that she couldn't afford it on her salary, even if it was very high.

 

    "Since the captain has said this, I can only agree to it, but are you sure you want me to shoot the promo? If the investors find out my true identity, I’m afraid..."

 

    "Then just don't let them find out!"

 

    Bai Zimo’s mouth twitched, "Uh...Give me some time to consider it?"

 

    "Didn't you want to retire before? This time the investors gave very generous conditions. As long as you finish this job, you can..."

 

    "Wait, don't say it, it’ll get jinxed!" Bai Zimo hurriedly interrupted. The I-can-go-home-and-get-married-after-this-battle tone coming from the other end of the phone made her feel a burst of panic.

 

    "The conditions are very generous? How much?"

 

    Because superpowers were special, Bai Zimo originally didn't want to become a professional superhero. Even if she later became a superhero by chance, she spent all her time thinking about saving enough money for retirement and then enjoying life to the fullest. But after two full years of work, aside from daily meals, all of the money went to payout, and she didn’t even end up saving a single penny. Had it not been for her professional ethics and worries about meeting acquaintances, she would have robbed the bank long ago.

 

    "Ten million! How about it? Isn’t it a lot?"

 

    Bai Zimo’s stretched so far one could stuff an ostrich egg in it*. "This...This much?"

*T/N: For visualization purposes, ostrich eggs are the biggest bird eggs in the world.

    "Yeah. The investor also said that if the promotion is effective, there will be follow-up bonuses as well. How about it?

 

    "I’m in!"

 

    Bai Zimo agreed without even thinking about it. The moment he agreed, the magic wand in his hand pierced the Roshan Demon's head with a violently. Just before the blood flowed out, the verdant vines sprouted from the wound and climbed along its body before crimson flowers finally bloomed on the vines. As the petals floated in the air, the body of the Roshan Demon disappeared without a trace.

 

    The crimson petals drifted away with the sudden wind. Bai Zimo turned and walked downwards from the rooftop. As she walked forward, the magic wand in her hand lit up with dazzling light. The light spread along her arm until it enveloped her whole body. Under the light, a human figure faintly growing taller could be seen, and after a while, it grew from 1.5 meters to 1.8 meters.

 

    When the light completely disappeared, a curly-haired teenager wearing a white T-shirt, beach pants and flip flops appeared in the corridor behind the roof. The teenager's facial features were fair, his nose, eyes and mouth were put together. He was the epitome of the word "average"; one could not find the shadow of the lovely blond girl from just now on his face.

 

    Bai Zimo, male, 22 years old, high school graduate,a member of the superhero association, an active member of the God of War team, and―magical girl.

 

    Six years ago, an asteroid fell on the earth. Everyone had always thought that "Let’s watch a meteor shower fall on the earth" was just a song lyric, but when they discovered that something really fell on Earth, the situation wasn’t as beautiful as described in the lyrics.

 

    Although the government used interstellar weapons to intercept the asteroids when they appeared, the scattered planetary fragments still fell on the earth as expected and caused no small disaster. The rising dust covered Earth for half a month. People thought it was the end of the world, but everything had just begun.

 

    The mysterious substances carried by asteroids triggered large-scale biological mutations on the earth. Things not conforming to scientific principles appeared. For a long time, some scholars even began to doubt life.

 

    And it was at that time that Bai Zimo was hit in the forehead by an asteroid fragment. He didn’t die, nor did he become an idiot. Instead, he became a magical girl.

11