5. Reunion
77 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A wave rushed to the Whitehaven City as Ashe's existence became known. Starting from Matt's loud announcement, the Seekers around the area quickly spread the information before anything else.

Ashe did not know of this as he had already sealed his mind and was unconscious, but he expected such a thing to happen.

Soon, the news of a Wanderer reached many forums and news outlets. Twelve hours later, Ashe's name was being reported in many stories. All was according to how Ashe predicted it.

If Ashe knew of this, he would rejoice; sadly, he had no way of knowing, for he had no means of keeping up to date with the latest news—he had no phone.

Midnight.

Ashe awoke, feeling better already. He was alone in a private room, separated from Matt and the rest. He reckoned the treatment of Wanderers to be somewhat different from the rest.

"Book—Summon Vine."

With a flash of light, Vine on top of Ashe's lap. It was apprehensive at its new environment but soon managed to adapt as it saw Ashe's visage, "Companion, I, Alive, You, Alive!"

"Yes, we are." Ashe was glad to see that Vine retained its mind and memory. 

After summoning Vine, he left it to wander around; he just made sure it broke nothing. His wounds had already healed, and no scars formed. He reckoned the Healer must have been quite skilled. 

All the while Vine kept itself busy, Ashe stood up and walked towards a window.

Taking a look outside, what he saw was an ordinary hospital garden. When he raised his view just a couple of degrees up, he saw a towering skyscraper closing into the heavens. It was a few kilometers away.

Sigh.

This earth was the same, and yet…it was now different. It felt different; the air, the atmosphere. 

Vine sensed a melancholic feeling coming from the always happy-go-lucky Ashe and quickly moved towards him. Vine wrapped itself on Ashe's neck as it muttered, "Vine, Here, You, Companion, Me, Companion."

It knows that what Ashe felt was loneliness. Ashe felt a semblance of comfort in the presence of Vine. He appreciated it very much so.

Pah!

With a clap, Ashe decided to turn things around. He had Vine go back into the book while he observed the twinkling stars. 

The sliding door then shifted to the side as a doctor wearing the usual white coat stepped inside. 

Ashe looked at the people behind the doctor and saw two people wearing black suits. Both were humans, just like Ashe and the doctor. 

"It appears Mister Zhang is energetic enough to move around. I know you have many questions, but please, I would like to have you answer us a few questions."

One of them was tall, the other round-ish.

Ashe didn't say anything and simply donned his saddest expression as he asked, "My family…do you where they are?" 

The genuine emotions of sadness and elation made everyone present take pity of the man detached from any human touch and presence for ten years.

"Please, calm down, Mister Zhang. We will be answering your questions shortly; for now, it would be if you can take deep breaths before we begin."

Ashe returned to his bed, and one of the two men sat while the other stood by the window. As for the doctor, he stood there, watching, intending to observe if Ashe had PTSD. He was ready to intervene at any moment.

Ashe observed the tall man before him.

"My name is Smith; I am from the Bureau of Human Affairs; we are here to help you with anything you would need to adapt to the current World. Please tell me everything you can about yourself."

Ashe stayed silent for some time as he tried recalling his past, "My name is Ashe Zhang. I was born in America…my Father was part Chinese but mostly American, my mother…she was British. We moved around a lot because of my Father's job as a Historian. I lived in the Philippines, Korea, Japan, Australia, London, and some more place...I was 18 when I got separated from my family... I woke up on some island I do not know...that's everything..."

"That is all right, Mister Zhang, you gave us enough information. How about the name of your family? Can you still remember them?"

"My Father's name is Ed Zhang, my Mother is Thalia Zhang, and for my sister Aliyah Zhang…"

Ashe took note of a subtle twitch on Smith's eyes. The name Aliyah managed to elicit a reaction; Ashe found light in this situation. But he couldn't just jump on him with this information, so he decided to feign ignorance.

"My family, do you know where they are? My sister, my mother, my father...are they alive?" He stilled asked them with a hopeful voice, however,

"Sadly, I do not know. Our current information on you is limited, and every country's database had been destroyed after the [Cataclysm]. We can't run a background check on you because, for all we know, you died ten years ago. But do not worry, we will find them and help you be with them again."

Smith saw Ashe's expression and quickly tried calming him down. The questions he was asking were understandable for someone in his situation.

Agent Smith took mental notes of Ashe's situation and asked him a couple more questions.

He asked him how he survived and how he lived for the past ten years without detection. 

Ashe simply shook his head, saying, "I…I do not…for the past ten years I was just trying to survive, killing monsters, after monster, trying to live without so much as a direction to where I should go. It was an experience I…"

Ashe trembled from both fear and exhaustion. The doctor cleared his throat upon the sight of Ashe.

"It's okay. I apologize for my insensitiveness." Agent Smith apologized, and Ashe secretly smiled.

Agent Smith had finished his questions, "Do you have anything you want to ask?"

"About the different people I saw. I have been without contact with anyone else, the islands I visited were ravaged by monsters, and the infrastructures were all destroyed…can you…tell me what's happening in the World?"

Agent Smith's ring on his right middle finger shone a bright light, and a holographic image appeared.

"What's that?" Ashe curiously asked. He was slightly alarmed. 

"Please do not be alarmed, this is called a Union Ring, it is connected to the [Astral World Network] or otherwise known as AWN or New Internet if you compare it to the previous era of internet, it can be referred to as 10G.

The Union Ring acted like a futuristic computer as it presented s 3D holographic image of earth.

In the hologram, every other country, the land was marked red except for a floating continent in the North Atlantic Ocean. 

Agent Smith finally began his explanation, "First of, ten years ago, on August 31, 2025 BCA, the World distorted in the middle of North Atlantic Ocean and before anyone could respond to the phenomenon, a massive chunk of floating land appeared.

"Many researchers went to research this chunk. But two months after this happened, another spatial disturbance happened around the most densely populated city in the World, it happened in Manila, Philippines.

"Monsters surged from the massive Spatial Distortion, and the first Rift that we now call Portal appeared. Many people died, and after two weeks, more and more portals surfaced all around the World.

"Wuhan China, New York, Tokyo, and chaos ensued much death was the result. The governments tried to something about it by using their most advanced weaponry at the time. Nuclear missiles, guns, and the like were used. At first, it worked, but stronger monsters replaced the last. And because of the limited people who can fight against the beast, many failed to receive protection.

"Soon, the World was overrun with monsters. That is, except for one place, and that place is this Floating Continent everyone calls Rodinia. At this time, the World was already granted a System, but those brave enough to fight against the monsters all died without proper knowledge.

"The earth was on the verge of destruction even after the evacuation until people from beyond our star system arrived to save us…these people were called, Seekers.

"These Seekers helped us create a New World Order and shared their technology with us. Some of these Otherworlders were humans, and the other Races we hear from Myths and Legends or something completely unknown to us. The destroyed countries became known as the Wildlands, and Rodinia became the only Continent. This is the World of today."

That was the barest of explanation of what happened to the World. Agent Smith left as he gave the answer he was meant to provide to every ignorant Wanderers.  

Ashe felt tired from the amount of information he was given and simply closed his eyes. Agent Smith and his partner left with the doctor but not before assuring Ashe that he will help him find his family.

As Agent Smith stepped out of the room, he used his Union Ring once more and made a call, "Director, it appears we have found the Red Flash's Brother."

Ashe inside the room did not sleep as he began digesting the information he was given. 

'The World gained a system, and there were many deaths that happened before evacuating to Rodinia…I wonder, how many billion died? After all, they couldn't have brought everyone here at once. Also, I wonder, how many idiots who gained a system died after thinking they're the hero this era?'

How many billions of lives were lost on the day Cataclysm started? There was a good chance that his parents were dead, but as for his sister, Colt was sure he was alive. 

'That reaction spoke volume.'

He was hoping for good news.

But then again, something else was bothering him as something weird had changed in his System.

***

Ashe spent his days with many tests and receiving vaccinations. The world’s change also brought about new diseases.

Agent Smith would come to talk to him every now and then for different subjects, but nothing noteworthy made Ashe raised a brow. 

But Ashe was surprised that no reporters came to bother him yet. 

It was a pleasant surprise, “Did the reporters died with the previous era?”

Ashe hoped so. And without anything going on, two weeks came to pass.

“Doctor Mist, when can I leave the hospital?” One day, as Ashe looked over the window like he usually does, he couldn’t help himself but ask.

Doctor Mist was the old potbellied doctor; he was the one assigned to taking care of Ashe. He was a nice man with a kind heart towards his patience; he was well-liked that even Ashe felt like he could trust him.

Mist looked over at Ashe and simply made a jolly smile, “Worry not, the BHA [Bureau of Human Affairs] are doing their best to give you the best atmosphere when you finally rejoin into society.”

“…”

Mist felt worried over Ashe’s strange silence, “I heard the BHA is coming tomorrow; I think you should expect some good news…or so I hear there should be one.”

“Thanks, Doctor.” Ashe had taken a liking to the old doctor.

Ashe chose to sleep and shut his mind for a good night’s sleep without anything to do.

He woke up at around 8:00 am.

Just as Ashe confirmed that the BHA and the nurses were nowhere to be found, he prepared himself for his morning routine.

However, just as he was standing up, the automatic door quietly opened—a girl with long black hair standing outside the room locked eyes with him. The girl wore a one-piece dress. She dropped her purse as she failed to control her emotions.

Her eyes quickly reddened tears began welling up, “A-ashe?” she ran up to him for a hug.

Ashe felt something inside him. He was left speechless.

“...hey.”

Ashe…was a man who had already lost most of his emotions.

In Astralius, he fought many wars, both with monsters and humanoids. He was no stranger to killing, and to live with a complete mind, he had to abandon his conscience.

His emotions were killed once, but the moment he laid his eyes on the girl running to him to give him a hug, Ashe opened his arms and accepted her.

“W-where…where have you been…I thought I lost you...” Aliyah’s tears streamed down her face as she finally got reunited with the brother she thought was long gone. She cried without stop.

Ashe wrapped his arms around her, and without him even knowing…a tear escaped his eyes.

“I-I am home.”

Ashe failed to control his tears..

 

7