Chapter 4: A Tough Decision
25 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Roland was sitting next to Sara on her bed. He had told her everything he knew and answered the questions she had. They had been sitting like this for a full five minutes before Sara spoke up. “What are you planning to do?”

Roland evaded her gaze as she asked this question, but after a bit, he faltered and told her his honest thoughts.

“I have two options. The first would be to assume the threat that destroyed The Immortal Realm a thousand years ago is gone and go about my life, using magic whenever there is nobody there to see it.

The second option is to assume the ‘Mortal Pietas’ still exist in one way or another. And that magus have continued to appear but haven’t had the opportunity to make themselves known to the world because they get killed or taken before they ever get the option to. This would mean I would have to run to a distant place, train my magic, and then use the ‘Stone of Awakening’ to find other magus, then perhaps I could survive.”

Even though he gave both options he had already made his decision. He would have to go on the run. Sara knew he was right, if the ‘Mortal Pietas’ indeed still existed they were probably in a position of power, otherwise, the existence of magus would’ve already been recorded.

And if he was wrong, then he might find out he had wasted a few years of his life in hiding, which wasn’t a big deal compared to what would happen if he was right but decided to go about his day anyways.

“Alright, but let’s try to get some information first, alright? Maybe there’s some information on ‘The Immortal Realm’ or the ‘Mortal Pietas’ online.”

Roland agreed and they quickly took out their laptops. When they looked it up in Latin they didn’t find anything, and in English, all they found was a fiction book that used ‘The Immortal Realm’ as a faction.

After a bit, they noticed they had both looked up the same thing ‘The British Library’. As the biggest library in the world, it had many books that could be found nowhere else. The Vatican’s library was another such place but there was no way they would be able to enter that.

The British library was massive, it was rumored to have an underground network of hallways and rooms with highly valuable books spanning all across London. Surprisingly most of these books could still be read if you requested them. First, he had to get a reader’s pass, he could go through this process online and it should take about a week.

“If things are as we suspect it is possible my location is already compromised. I’ll see you around Sara.”

Roland got up and wanted to head toward his room when Sara tugged at his arm, when he looked back she was met with her stern face.

“Then what will you do when you are hidden away? Will you still go to some city for food? Wouldn’t that still make it very possible for them to find you? It’s best if it’s both of us. I don’t have magic so whatever they might use to find you may not work on me.”

Roland looked her in the eyes and they just stood there, neither of them moving an inch. After staring each other in the eyes for a dozen seconds Roland sighed as he went toward his own room, he pretended to be somewhat annoyed but instead, he was afraid, afraid he would be the cause of his friend’s death.

Soon they had both grabbed their things, they destroyed their computers, phones, and tablets before moving along. They would properly apply for reader’s passes using an internet cafe or library in a few days. For now, it was time to move.

Their decisiveness was somewhat shocking, to throw away so much just because they might be in danger. Most people wouldn’t throw away their valued possessions like that.

First, they took the train to Luxembourg city, the capital of the small country. It would only take two hours to arrive which was a very short amount of time, they decided to take the first possible flight in the airport no matter where it was to, then later they could make their way to London.

But most importantly, they had to get a fake ID, they had already decided to assume their identities are known and so were their locations. It should be fine to take an airplane right now using their actual ID but after that, they would need new names, wigs were also a must.

Even though it wasn’t as if they had a lot of experience with being on the run it was something they had discussed a few times. ‘If we were to rob a bank how would we escape?’ was a question they discussed a couple of times.

After two hours they got to the airport, “I suppose we’re going to Bolivia.” Roland stated as he looked at the flight schedule.

Bolivia was just to the west of Brasil, it wasn’t the most popular tourist destination but the duo didn’t really care about that right now. Sara went over to buy a few tickets while Roland waited on the side. After a bit they had gotten two tickets to Bolivia, furthermore the flight left in only fifteen minutes, making it even more ideal. They quickly went to the terminal and after going through some basic security procedures they got onto the airplane.

Fifteen minutes later, just after the flight left, another person arrived at the airport. The lady seemed to be Asian and had green eyes and black hair. She was dressed in a business suit and she had an earpiece in her ear.

“The mark seems to have relocated to Luxembourg City.”

A voice came from the earpiece as the lady kept walking out of the airport. Since the target seemed to be within the city this should be a quick job. Now she just needed to get a hotel room and set everything up.

At least, so she thought. Unbeknownst to her, her mark had left but a few minutes earlier.

-----------

In the plane, Roland closed his eyes as he entered his ‘web’. Last time he noticed nothing changed until he finished connecting the nodes so he decided to simply explore it for a bit. He could clearly see some nodes were bigger than others and since the first node he tested out was a small one he decided to stick with that one.

He decided to try and attack one of these nodes using his own magic power instead of using the strength of the silver node under his control. He wouldn’t be casting a spell and even if it caused him to leak some magic powers they should be fine due to how high up in the air they were.

Earlier when they were in the capital he could only access about half of the magic power compared to back in the mountains but now this had increased once more to become two-thirds.

He picked a node very close to the one he had previously connected with. He made his magic power enter the web and surround the node, once he had succeeded with this, he attacked. It was surprisingly tough, every time some of his magic power got defeated Roland noticed it became harder to control the rest but in the end, they breached the node’s defense and took it over, similar to last time.

3