Chapter 53: Melting Doors
238 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We rushed past the few people who were awake at the night hours and entered the Guild Society building again, and yet again, the moment I passed through the door I felt the energy field washing over me, but this time it made me dizzy as I ran through it and into a nearby wall.

I crashed through the wall as I rammed into it with considerable speed and went face first to the floor.

"What the fuck?!" A voice coming from the place I crashed into said.

"Oh, wow… that's a way to enter" Eugeo said, entering the place through the normal door.

"You know… I'm getting tired of hitting everything with my face" I said as I got up and scratched my face that was a little itchy after busting through wood and leaving a mark on the floor.

"Excuse me, what the heck are you doing?" The voice said.

I turned to see the person who was talking and saw a canine beastmen looking at me with a frown in his face.

"Sorry, I lost balance while running" I apologized.

"Aham. And I'm a human" he dismissed my apologies. "If you're going to lie, at least make it a little realistic. How old are you? 8?"

"What? No" I answered.

"Anyway, you or your little group will pay for the damages" he said.

"Wait, we're here for something important!" Eleno said.

"Hmm" he said while looking at the me-sized hole.

"Yes. There will be someone who's going to try to invade the dungeon and cause a dungeon break" I said.

"A dungeon break? Look, kids, why don't you go with the soldier behind you to the police station?" The man said while gesturing to something behind us.

I turned and saw a soldier putting his hands on Eugeo and Joh'ner's shoulders.

"What is happening here, if I may ask?" The soldier said.

"We're here to report someone trying to cause a dungeon break" I said urgently.

The soldier looked at the beastmen in the counter behind us with a questioning glance.

"The small one broke the wall" he said while pointing at the hole in the wall. "And now they're trying to prank me, and apparently you, to believe someone knows how to cause a dungeon break"

"What? But it's true. They'll use something called a Quantum-Flux reactor to increase the magicule levels inside the dungeon and use it to cause monster spawns" I said.

"Kid, now you're just spewing jumbled words" the beastmen said, clearly not understanding what I said as I used the arcadian words as I read them.

"Let's go to the police station and you can tell me all about it, okay?" The soldier said, and with no other option, we followed him.

In the police station, that really looked like one but with a medieval fantasy theme going, I was put in what I could describe was an interrogation room. It was a small room with a table with one seat on one side and two on the other side.

"Wait here, I'll be with you shortly" the soldier said to me and closed the door, leaving me alone in the room.

There was a tingling sensation on my fur the moment I stepped inside the room that wouldn't go away no matter how much I scratched it, and it was covering my entire body. I sat down trying to think about how I would tell what I saw to them, but the itching was bothering me more than I realized, I couldn't focus properly as the only thing I could think about was the itch.

[ Proficiency points have reached the threshold. Skill [Dragon Scales] have reached Lv. 2 ]

The itch immediately decreased in intensity as my skill leveled up, leaving me wondering what it did and what the itching was as I had thought that skill had something to do about physical defense, as Earth literature basically painted dragon scales as that mystical material, capable of enduring the hardest hits.

The door then opened and the soldier who brought us here walked in and moved to the other side of the table from where I was and sat down.

"Sorry to keep you waiting. Let's start" he said. "What's your name, kid?"

"Denaru, my name is Denaru Theris" I answered.

"Okay, Denaru, can you tell me where your parents are or where they live?"

"My father…well…he…he died…a criminal…killed him" I answered honestly and with a pain building up inside my chest.

"O-oh… I'm sorry" He said.

"Don't worry about it" I said.

"What about your mother?" He asked carefully, trying to see if this was another delicate topic.

"She was alive and well the last time I saw her" I answered.

""last time"? Where is she now?" He questioned me.

"Probably in our home, in another universe" I said.

The moment I said "another universe" the soldier's face fell flat.

"Look, I'm trying to be nice here, so you need to be nice with me as well. Why don't you tell me where your parents are, for real this time?" He said to me with a flat face.

"But I did tell you the truth… Look, I don't know how much time we have before whoever it is causes a dungeon break. You need to bring more soldier's to the dungeon" I said to him, trying to pass how important the subject is and how we are all in danger.

"Look, I tried to be nice, but you didn't cooperate, now I'll have to be a little more serious. I need you to give me the magical item in your possession" he said with a stern face.

"What?" I asked, caught unaware of what he's talking about.

"C'mon kid, do you really think anyone would believe the magical power leaking from you is actually yours? Now, why don't you give it to me and I'll return it to its owners" he said while extending his hand with his palm open for me to give him whatever he thought I had.

"What are you talking about? I don't have anything with me" I said to him.

"Sigh. Look, kid, even if you keep it, while you're here it won't work. This room has anti-magic built in, anything you try to do won't work. Now, let's end this here" He said while he closed and opened his hands for me to give him whatever.

"So… this tingling sensation is anti-magic?" I asked, but the confused face the soldier made proved that or it wasn't the cause, or that he didn't know.

I was about to say more, but a distant explosion took both of our attention from ourselves towards it.

"You stay here. I'll see what just happened" the soldier said as he got up and left the room, locking the door as he passed through.

I stayed put for a few moments as I pondered the ups and downs of trying to leave this place by force, eventually the thought of having people needing help and I having the means of helping them won over staying put and I got up.

"He said this room was filled with anti-magic, right?" I said as I extended my hand towards the door and tried to cast the only spell I knew, [Fireball].

My magicules flowed normally while inside my body, but the moment they left the palm of my hand to form the ball of fire I felt the anti-magic taking effect. It was weird, having a sensation outside of my body, but I could feel how the anti-magic was trying to destabilize the magicule flow the moment it left my body. It probably has something to do with how apparently [Dragon Scales] is protecting me against the anti-magic.

I focused my concentration on the spell and used all the instances of [Parallel Processing] I could, resulting in me casting the same spell 7 times at the same time and each one on top of one another. It was a bad idea and I immediately noticed how bad it was as the 7 spells together resisted the effects of anti-magic and activated all at once. The flaming inferno that followed was enough to overpower the anti-magic in the room and explode the wooden door that was turned to ashes just a few seconds later as the fire was strong and hot enough to start melting the stone the walls, floor and ceiling were made of.

I stood there as the flames spread out in the corridor outside and died down. I passed the hole that was the door as my feet began sinking in the partially molten stone. Looking around I saw a head poke out in the corner of the end of the corridor.

"Hi, would you mind showing me where my friends are?" I asked

"Hiiiiii!" the person screeched and vanished behind the wall, I just shrugged and began looking for my friends. 

The place was empty as all the soldiers stationed here probably left to see what was that explosion, meaning that that head was probably just a clerk from the front.

I went towards the back of the place and eventually found the cells, and inside of one of them I found the Manaball team and Jana.

"Hey guys" I said.

"Did they let you leave?" B'erene asked.

"Me? Oh, no. I just turned the door into ash and melted some of the building" I answered.

"Boy, if I didn't know you were a dragon, I wouldn't believe in that explanation, like ever" She said.

I tried to open the door but it was locked.

"It won't work, it's enchanted steel. You'll need a lot of strength to bend this" Joh'ner said.

I grabbed the bars with my hand and tried to bend it enough for them to leave, but the bar wouldn't budge.

"See?" He said.

"Let me try something else" I said as I tried to deactivate [True Mimic] on my hands.

It worked as my hands shifted from normal beastmen hands to my draconic paw and claws, except it wasn't glowing as it should, but completely black. It took me a moment to understand what was happening, but I felt it. If I looked from my beastmen body it was all good and nothing was wrong, but from the perspective of my dragon body,or rather, my dragon paws, they were cold, and I mean cold. If dragons can die of hypothermia, then I was sure my hands were going that path, and that would explain the increase in body temperature when I shift my entire body but not when I just shift a small part of it.

I moved quickly as I didn't know if it was good for me to leave them like this for too long, so I slashed the lock with my claws. I felt some resistance, but I ultimately cut through it like it was a hard meat.

"That will do" I said as I reactivated my skill and shifted my hands back to the beastmen form.

I pulled the door open and they left the cell they were being kept.

"Why did that soldier put you in there?" I asked.

"Well, he said something about vandalism and stealing of powerful magical artifact" Eugeo said.

"The magical artifact is me. He thought I had stolen something to be leaking as much magicules as I do" I said.

"It's called aura" Eugeo said and his team all turned towards him. "What? I said I studied for that test"

"Anyway, a lot of people call it "magicule leak" or just "leak",  but its actual name is "aura". Every person has its own unique aura signature, and that's what's imprinted on your documents"

"That's cool and all, but don't we need  to… like… go?" Jana said.

"Yeah, let's move. I think I know where that explosion came from" Eleno said.

We all left the place I'm a hurry, leaving a confused and scared clerk behind.

3