Chapter 54: Invading the Dungeon
256 1 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We followed Eleno through the streets that were beginning to crowd with people exiting their homes because of the explosion sound. As we moved towards where Eleno said it was the source of the explosion we began to hear a commotion of people shouting orders and asking for medical help.

We arrived in what looked like a park with what used to be a wall separating an archway that lead to a stairway downwards from the rest of the city. Used to because it was destroyed now, with pieces still standing and a lot of debris scattered around. There were also people on the ground, and by the looks of it they were hit by flying debris as there were some of the stone pieces near those people stained of blood and some of the people themselves were bleeding.

"What happened here?" I said looking at all the confusion.

"There was some kind of creature with a strange staff who exploded the protective wall and went inside the dungeon" a random person who happened to be near us answered.

I saw the soldiers who were in the police station we just left talking with some people wearing uniforms near what looked like an entrance gate to the dungeon.

"I'm going in" I said.

"Are you sure?" Jana asked.

"Sincerely? No. But I can't see how I could help around here" I said, hammering down my determination.

"I can think in a couple of ways" Celeber's voice came from our side.

"Hey, captain!" Joh'ner said.

We all turned to the leonid beastmen captain of the Manaball team who is helping me in this city that I forgot to ask the name of.

"Where the heck did you all go? I've been looking for you for hours" She said.

"Well, you see. We wanted to see some dungeon delvers, so we were on our way here. Of course, after buying some clothes that fit on Denaru. When we were on our way here, the kid somehow discovered a plan to cause a dungeon break, then we went back to the Guild Society, but got arrested, then there was an explosion and we escaped and ran here" Joh'ner explained poorly for her.

"That's a poor summary of events, but he's correct" Innev answered after Celeber casted a glance towards him to confirm whether Joh'ner was lying or not.

"You said I could help here? How?" I asked.

"Well, for starters. The barrier protecting the city from a dungeon break is destroyed, we could use  the help of a dragon to keep watch while the soldiers over there go fetch some earth mages" She said.

"Wait, how do you know this?" Eugeo asked.

"I was close to them, I overheard them" She answered.

"Oh, yeah. That makes sense" he said and dropped the subject.

"Anyway, as I was saying, you could keep watch of the entrance. Or you could enter the dungeon itself" Celeber said.

"Oh, boy. Pick the second one, it's the fun one" Joh'ner said to me.

"Ok, so, anything to say about the dungeon's layout?" I asked.

"They aren't complicated, at least this dungeon. It's just a bunch of rooms connected to one another with a casual corridor connecting some of them in a straight line from the top to the deepest levels" Innev explained to me.

"How are you going to pass through those guards?" B'erene asked me.

"Well, I think they'll let me pass undisturbed" I said, but the dubious glances casted on me made me explain it further. "I'll go as a dragon"

A bunch of "Oh!" And nods accompanied the realization on their faces as I sighed.

I turned to the dungeon entrance and began to run, carefully avoiding debris and people. The small shouts at me cause some of the soldiers to shout at me as well.

"Hey, kid. This area is off limits!" They shouted and demanded I stop, but I didn't.

From running with my two feet I dropped down and began to run with all my four limbs, it was weird and not very effective as, differently from my dragon body, my limbs in this body were different in size. Some of the soldiers tried to move in front of me to force me to stop, but I deactivated [True Mimic] at the same time I used a small boulder to jump high.

Heat and pain flooded my body as my bones shattered and muscles were torn apart and rebuilt from the organic mass. The moment I felt my wings had formed I opened them at their maximum length and adjusted my body to an attack trajectory right in the middle of the stairway.

Even without active propulsion, I zoomed past the soldiers and into the stairway. It took me a few seconds descending the stairs that shone with a fluorescent blue light and the light my own body produced naturally to arrive at the end of the stairway. I tried to flap my wings to kill momentum, but I didn't control them properly yet, totally ruining the perfect entry I've made as I crashed head first into the hard ground.

I groaned as my body, mostly my snout and head, ached from the sudden stop and got up from the small crater my body had created. Looking around revealed an empty room with some scorch marks and an open doorway on the other side of the room.

I poked my head through the doorway and in the other room were a couple of small green creatures that [Appraisal] told me were Dungeon Goblins. Looking at a distance from them I couldn't find any difference between them and their normal variant.

The goblins seemed to notice the light my body produced, because the next moment they both turned to face me and screeched, jumping head on at me.

I braced myself and slashed my claws at them. As my claws passed through the goblin equivalent of a hot knife on butter, blood and viscera splashed on my face and I almost puked right there and then.

Fighting the will of my stomach of putting anything that's inside there out, I looked over at the goblins, amazed they were so small. The only inherent goblin I've met was the one Amity made me train the [Fireball] spell, and he was taller than myself. But these goblins weren't taller than my legs are long. I've grown up from my evolution, yes, but it wasn't that much.

As I observed the bodies, they began to dissolve in a rainbow mist that smelled both pleasant and awful. The remains of the blood and viscera on my face and body Aldo began to dissolve, leaving me grateful I wouldn't need to wash myself to get rid of it as I didn't know how long I would take inside here.

I went to the next room over and was met with three goblins and they all jumped straight at me, without hesitation. A quick wave of my claws cut through the three of them like they were made out of hot butter and splattered their insides over me and the ground, some of it even entered my nose, although it immediately burned to ashes.

I sneezed as all the gore began dissolving into rainbow mist. Seeing as there was nothing left after they disintegrated, I moved to the next room and was met with four goblins.

"Is the room number equal to the number of goblins?" I said to no one as I cut through the goblins and moved yet again, arriving in the fifth room with… you guessed it, five goblins.

I was getting good at not wanting to puke as my face was splattered with gore and other bodily fluids as I cut them open with my claws.

"If this is how sharp my claws naturally are, I wonder how sharp a Razortail's claws would be" I wondered as I remembered my possible evolution list.

I moved in the next room, not even waiting for the bodies to begin to dissolve. As I entered the room waiting for six goblins, I was met with ten of them in total. I was caught off guard with the numbers and some of them took advantage of it and jumped on my back, trying to claw their ways through my scales.

"Ow, ow, ow. Hey, it hurts!" I said as I began trying to shake them off, but with no success.

The others used the chance I gave them by mistake and jumped on my legs and neck, using their claws to try to break my scales and hit my flesh.

"Oh, no. You won't" I said as I casted [Fireball] on myself as I couldn't hit them because of their position on my body. Fire enveloped my body and the goblins let go of me as their bodies were set on fire.

I used the moment to cut them with my claws while they were desperately trying to put out the flames, then I followed to the next room.

There were only two other rooms on the first floor and each of them the number of goblins increased in five. In the room with twenty goblins I just shook my head and flooded the room with fire as I wouldn't even try to attack that number of goblins as I saw some of them with wooden clubs as I didn’t want to know how much pain they would cause me.

After clearing the last room, another stairway downwards appeared as a piece of the wall moved up. I looked over and noticed the second floor was a dozen meters or so below the first one. With a little bit of doubt, I began descending the stairs to the second floor.

4