Chapter 55: Dungeon Dive: Second Floor
580 4 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

As I set a paw on the first room the first thing I noticed was the edge of a sword as I barely had the time to move my head out of the way as the sword hit the stone wall. Holding that sword was a small humanoid lizard with red and brownish scales that was a head taller than the goblins, it must have jumped to actually get on the same height as my head.

I kinda panicked with the scare it gave me and I punched it right on its arms. To say that his torso exploded in contact was not a bad explanation, as it was basically what happened as my closed paw tore open a hole on his arms and torso.

I stood there aghast with how I just exploded something. The sound of something being dropped on the ground pulled me back towards reality as I turned my head to face what made the sound. Standing on the other side of the room were another two humanoid lizards, one with another sword on hands and the other with a bow on his feet. As our gazes connected, they made a hissing sound and began scrambling to run away from me, entering the next room.

I stood there with wide eyes as another hissing sound came from the next room and I heard more rushed steps distancing themselves from me. I could only stand there shaking my head as the mortal remains of the lizard I just distorsed, hehe, get it? Dismembering is taking out the members, then, distorsed. I laughed at my stupid joke as the rainbow mist that once was a humanoid lizard dispersed back into the air.

As I walked to the next door, I stepped onto something, and taking a look at it I saw the sword the lizard was carrying with him when he attacked me. I was about to examine it when my brain finally began working and I remembered the reason I came here in the first place, I mean, why was I losing this much time when something was going to cause a dungeon break… even though I didn't really feel any challenge up until now. Sure, the goblins on the first floor did somewhat hurt me, but that was more pain than real damage.

I decided to keep going, as I would soon find out anyway. If the difficulty keept increasing like it's been since the beginning, I would began to find some rea challenges.

In the next five rooms there wasn't a single living thing, only the stone walls and the door for the next room, but in the seventh room I had finally found something. 

"Ooh boy" I said as a small army of the lizards were staring at me as my head poked through the door.

I had counted around 30 or so of the lizards using a variation of iron swords, bows and wooden staffs neatly organized with the swords on the front, then the archers behind and then those with the staffs that I assume are mages. There was what looked like a commander behind as well, as there was one single lizard with gauntlets and a skeletal armor that looked like it worked more to give support than to actually protect.

A hiss signaled the start of the battle as the archers all fired their arrows at me. They probably wouldn't actually do any damage to me, but I didn't want to discover it the hard way so I jumped to the side as the rain of arrows hit the stone walls but didn't have enough force to penetrate it and just bounced back.

Another hiss and the ones with the swords all came running straight at me, but yet another hiss made them spread into two groups, one coming to my right and the other coming to my left as they tried to flunk me.

I knew that I needed to take out the leader or else those lizards would continue cooperating like they were at the moment and I could clearly see how if I let that happen I would be screwed. I knew that if I just went for the leader, the ones trying to flank Mr would have an opportunity to actually hit me, so I used [Parallel Processing] to cast three [Fireballs] at the same time, one aiming for the leader and the others to lizards trying to flank me.

A series of hisses were shouted as soon as the flames appeared and shot in the three directions. The lizards trying to flank me all jumped to random directions, trying to escape the fire, but some of them jumped into one another and were engulfed and died. The leader also got out of the way and at the same time some of the ones with the wooden staffs aimed them at the flames and water balls were shot like bullets into it, accompanied with strong winds that tried to compress the [Fireball], but didn't accomplish much.

The ones who were shooting water all raised their staffs pointing to a single point and water began accumulating there. It took less than two seconds the whole scene, but the moment my [Fireball] arrived where the leader once was, a ball of water twice the size of my [Fireball] was shot against it. Fire and water encountered one another and both fought for dominance over the other, ultimately both lost as a steam explosion knocked some of the lizards with bows and staffs down and spread to the whole room, creating a dense white mist that covered my entire field of vision.

I heard the steps of the lizards spreading throughout the room and I took the opportunity to do the same as if I couldn't see them, they couldn't see me as well. After moving to a new place in the room, I stood still, trying to find those lizards, and when I heard a hissing sound near me I almost jumped on it, but managed to not do it as it could be a trap.

But I soon learned that it was not a trap, but a signal for the lizards to attack, as in the next moment I was hit with a shower of arrows. Most of the arrows hit my scales and bounced off, but some actually did damage as they hit the areas where my scales connect with one another, right in that tiniest weakness. The arrows didn't last, however, as the moment they cut the smallest hole through my skin underneath my scales they were incinerated by hot plasma jets that leaked for a few seconds before they closed.

After the arrows, I heard the footsteps of the ones carrying swords in my direction, and to avoid being surrounded by them I jumped to the other side of the room, landing on top of a surprised lizard with a wooden staff. His body didn't resist my weight and exploded as I landed in a show of gore that made me want to throw up right there and then. The leader hissed again, sending a series of what I assumed were orders in the form of hissing that I couldn't understand to the other lizards. This time around I was assaulted with countless water bullets that didn't even hit me as they evaporated before reaching my sca-...

I casted [Fireball] and shot it towards the last place I heard the leader, but not a single sound of someone being burned came, but I understood what they were doing. The spell creates a ball made of flames that can illuminate an area just like a normal fire, and I could see the light coming from the flames that made the spell, meaning that they were able to see me because, as a solar dragon, my body literally glows. They weren't seeing me through the dense mist, no, they were tracking the light I produced in order to hit me and avoid my attacks.

"I see… in that case, what about changing tactics?" I said to myself as my body began to shift into a beastmen.

As my transformation ended, I heard a series of confused hisses, but instead of revealing myself, I dropped to all fours in the ground as I began to crawl to the nearest hiss I heard without making a sound.

I was looking at my crawling height trying to find the lizards that were no taller than my leg, but when I stumbled into one, he was… not huge, but way bigger than I expected, at least the same size as my beastmen body. Fortunately it didn't seem to notice me, as he was looking around with his face pointing upwards and sword in front of him as my real body was at least thrice their height. I took the opportunity to crawl right behind him and stood up.

"Finish him, agent 47" I muttered as I put both my hands on his head and twisted it just like the assassin does in the game.

His body became limp as his neck was broken. I grabbed his body so it would not fall on the ground too loud and gently put it on the ground quietly. I picked up his sword and began crawling again, going for the next hissing I heard.

The next lizard was one with a bow. I quietly approached him from behind and thrusted the tip of the sword against his neck, opening a vertical cut along it. The archer died immediately after I cut his neck, and almost fell on the floor, but I managed to catch it before he made any noise and put him gently on the floor. I was going to put the sword on my back using the clothes I bought from that shop, but noticed they weren't on my anymore and that I was, once again, naked.

I immediately blushed after having noticed I was completely naked, but I couldn’t let that distract me, at least not right now, so I picked up the bow and put it over my right shoulder and below my left arm, I also picked the quiver the lizard had to store his arrows and wrapped it over my waist. As I got ready to go to the next lizard under the cover of the vapor mist, the leader hissed again and the mist began to dissipate as the lizard mages used wind magic to push all the mist outside of the room.

I pulled the bow and put an arrow in it, but as I didn’t know how to use it properly it took me a few moments to not let the arrow fall out of my hands as I pulled the string, and even so, when I pulled the string it snapped and hit my thigh. I didn’t made any sound from the sudden pain as I managed to hold it, but the string made a loud snapping noise when it snapped and I knew all the lizards turned their heads towards me at that moment, and as the mist dispersed and revealed the room properly, it had become a fact.

Everyone in the room, me included, stood still for a few seconds, processing what happened and what to do, and ,unfortunately for me, the lizard leader was the first to act. He hissed again, and the lizards mages and archers all aimed at me and started shooting arrows and water, air and fire spells at me. I knew the bow was just a bended stick now, so I threw it at the head of one of the archers while jumping to my side to avoid the attacks.

To my surprise, the bow hit the archer and threw him on the ground while completely exploding from the force, he wasn’t dead, but by the looks of it he wouldn’t be back up for a good while. Noticing that my strength alone was that deadly, at least to those lizards, I picked an arrow from the quiver and threw it at a mage. The arrow flew like a bullet and hit the mage right in the chest, completely piercing him and hitting another archer a few meters behind, both dropping dead.

The leaders wouldn’t let me just continue killing his subordinates, and, with another hiss, sent the ones with swords to attack me, even with arrows and spells aimed at me. I kept jumping to avoid them, but every once in a while an arrow or spell hit me and they hurt, it wasn't enough to actually damage me, but it still hurt. As the ones with swords began to attack me, I used the sword I stole to counter attack… I say counter attack, but what I was actually doing was hitting their swords and overpowering them with raw force. While I slashed the soldiers with my sword, I picked the remaining arrows from the quiver and threw them at the leader, but he dodged every single one.

I had an idea while throwing the arrows and wanted to test it. The next arrow I picked from the quiver, I tried to cast [Fireball] on its very tip. The first attempt didn’t go too well, as the arrow burnt because the flame was too big and engulfed the wooden part of the arrow, igniting it and burning almost instantly. I kept doing it and was met with failure after failure, but when I pulled the last arrow and tried to do it again, the flame got contained in the metal tip of the arrow, not burning instantly. I smiled as my little experiment worked and threw it at the leader, but, to my dismay, the arrow broke apart mid flight. At least the small [Fireball] kept going, but the leader broke a piece of the floor and threw it at the spell, causing it to engulf the stone bit and stop.

After a few minutes of slashing the last ones of the soldiers, I began jumping in the direction of the archers and mages. Surprisingly my jumps covered a few meters in an instant, allowing me to slash the lizards with a single movement. When I finished the last mage, I looked in the direction of the lizard and was met with a furious glaze.

“Look, I’m sorry, but I’m trying to stop someone using something called a Quantum-Flux reactor, and you began attacking me without warning. I’m just defending myself here” I spoke, but I didn’t know if he couldn’t understand me or simply didn’t care as he began running in my direction with his gauntlets in position to punch me.

I looked at him with a sad face as I raised the sword and moved it to slash him with a descending arc. The leader tried to counteract with an upper punch, but the moment his gauntlet met the sword it broke, together with the sword itself, surprising me. The sword had shattered in hundreds of pieces, and every single one had at least some kinetic energy as I had used a lot of strength in the sword. The majority of the shards hit his scales, breaking them and leaving deep cuts, but a few of them hit his eyes and kept going to his brain.

His body fell on the floor a moment later, leaving me speechless as his last act managed to break the sword that had killed his subordinates, even if it was probably already unders a lot of stress and on the point of breaking. I moved to his side and kneeled down.

“I have to admit, it was a good fight. I don’t have much experience with fights in general, but I think this was a good one. May you rest in peace” I offered him a farewell and got up, moving in the direction of the stairway to the next floor, already changing back to my normal dragon body.

4