CH 21: Can You Repeat That?
135 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Andie sat on the living room couch. She had her feet up on the cushion, a recipe book in her hands. She looked through “D&D’s Cookbook” on how to make her own pizza. It had an entire section about the dough, the cheese, the sauce and the toppings.

She also heard it contained a few of Stitz Bristo’s dishes.

Her head looked up when she heard footsteps from the second floor.

From her view point, the back of the sofa faced the archway. She could see the corner of the staircase. The footsteps came closer as her best friend descended. She spotted the slender legs first. Then, the shorts and the top. Her heart sank when she didn’t see the red wig.

With that, Andie became more determined to see the bag campaign.

Eve’s feet thudded on the floor, making her way around the couch. She plopped down and hung her head on the backrest. Her brown eyes squeezed shut.

“So, how did it go?” Andie asked. She closed the book slightly.

Her best friend groaned. “I’m screwed. Big time. Everything ends here.”

“Why? What happened?”

Eve opened her eyes and twisted her neck. Her soulless brown eyes stared at her best friend’ stormy blue ones. Her voice flowed out in a monotone. “I just told off my boss for the past 30 minutes.”

Andie coughed, hiding her snort. “Why?”

Eve glared. Then, she pushed herself up and slouched her back. Feet apart, her elbows rested on her thighs. Her gaze dropped to the floor. Frown lines creased above her nose. “He was asking about the agreement his mother and I had.”

Andie raised her eyebrows. “He knows?”

“I don’t think so,” Eve replied, licking her bottom lip. Although she messed up, the chat still pissed her off a bit. “He was suggesting that he’d double the money.”

Her best friend placed the recipe book on the table. She scooted closer and gave her full attention. “You think he did that with the other women? Get them to leave?”

“Most likely.”

Crossing her arms over her chest, Andie bit her inner cheek. Her eyes perceived nothing. “Then..., if they accepted and you didn’t, doesn’t that increase your chances instead?”

Eve’s back went rigid while her head snapped up. The TV screen stared back at her. She saw the faint silhouette of her reflection. Her heartbeat thumped in her ears.

“No, it doesn’t,” she denied.

Her best friend snorted, noticing the hesitation. “Well, it wouldn’t if he wanted someone that agreed. Maybe he’d draft his own dating contract between him and his girlfriend.”

‘A man trapped into a deal…,’ Andie speculated. He would want some control. The more she thought about, the more likely it seemed. That person would establish rules.

If needed, he’d use money to get the approval.

“That sounds like a tight spot. If that’s the case, I am glad it won’t be me.” Her best friend sighed in relief.

Eve relaxed her posture. She stretched her arms overhead, lacing her fingers. The conversation had ended. Her obligation had been fulfilled. Her sisters’ high school fund had also been secured.

She did good.

The weight on her shoulders lessened. The week would finish soon. She doubted her boss was the type to initiate conversation. There wouldn’t be a need for worry…

… or so she thought.

The next day, Eve arrived at Eros’ Headquarters after a trip to a film set.

The building stood near the center of the city while their studios stayed in a more remote area. The latter had more than just buildings. Different sets also covered the land area. A few sores and shops opened branches in their property.

Not only did they gain business but they sometimes also appeared in films, increasing their exposure for their other locations.

Eve stepped out of her BMW. A sling bag hung on her shoulder. She held the strap with one hand. Her legs headed for the private elevator. She preferred to use the one in the parking lot than the building’s lobby. A security guard stationed beside it. He stood behind a counter, looking over a few files.

His black eyes looked up when she walked a few meters.

A bushy brown mustache framed his upper lip. It extended to his chin and his jaw, shaping a long stubble beard. Long slick brunette hair covered his head all the way to the back of his neck. He wore the standard uniform of his security agency of white and blue.

“Good afternoon, Ms. Hart. You’re awfully late today,” He greeted Eve, putting down the papers.

“I am not, Darryl.” She snorted. “I had to check on a movie’s progress. The premier is around the corner but the editing is still ongoing. Boss wants it done by the end of the week. Since they’re way past deadline, he’d check on the finished cut himself.”

Darryl pursed his lips. “That sounds heavy.”

“It is.” Eve exhaled sharply. The elevator doors opened and she stepped inside. Her heels clacked on its flooring. She waved her hand before stainless steel blocked her view of the security guard.

Soft jazz music played out of the speakers. Her foot tapped as she waited to reach the top. This would be the first time she saw her boss after the chat. She didn’t know what to expect.

Her free hand fidgeted on her black blazer. Would Ambryan recognize her? She took a photo before leaving the house and compared it to Evangeline’s. Her admiration for Cale rose up. He did wonders with his cosmetic bag.

The elevator doors parted and Eve stepped into the top floor. She placed her bag under her desk. Then, she walked towards the CEO’s office door.

Her hand touched the knob. She paused for a moment.

This was the spot where Avery offered the money.

Back at work, that event almost seemed like a dream.

Eve took a deep breath. Anything about Evangeline moved out of her mind. She was Eve the Secretary. She also had work to do. Straightening her shoulders, she knocked at the door.

“Come in.”

“Sir Hathaway, the producers promised to deliver the final cut by Thursday afternoon. I instructed them to deliver it here.” Eve announced as soon as she stepped inside. She fished out her business phone and looked over today’s schedule.

“The director for ‘What is Love?’ will come by in half an hour. I’ve informed Sir Kingston about the meeting since Venus Investment Associates had green lit the project.”

She folded her hands over her stomach. “Would you like to have your break now or later like always?”

Ambryan continued to type on his keyboard. He hardly blinked as he read his own words. His eyebrows glowered in concentration. “I will have it later. Keep in touch with the director. Advise me when he’s five minutes away from arriving.”

Eve pressed her lips together, narrowing her stare.

She clicked her tongue and said, “Sir Hathaway?”

Her boss chose not to reply. He merely waited for her next statement. If possible, his forehead lines deepened. His fingers increased both in speed and in vigor. Something on the monitor displeased him.

Walking up to his desk, Eve knocked on the table. “Sir, Hathaway, where are your anti-radiation glasses? Please use the eyedrops. Your eyes are dry again. There are still long hours ahead.”

The tapping ceased at once.

Ambryan pulled a drawer and took out a leather case. He slipped the frames on, going back to work. On second thought, he also snatched the eye drops and placed it on his table.

He would get to it later.

Eve nodded in approval. That was as good as she’d get. She would check on the eyedrops before the meeting with the director. His mother may say that he considered health as a priority but she knew better.

Her boss only chose which part he cared about.

She shook her head and made her way towards the exit. She could almost hear the urgent matters that filled her inbox.

“Eve.” Ambryan called out, looking away from his computer. The sunlight glared at the lens of his glasses. It brought a warm shine to his violet eyes.

His secretary had one hand on the door. She spun on her heel upon hearing her name. Her heart began to drum in her chest but her expression remained impassive.

“Yes, Sir Hathaway?”

He pushed his glasses up and grabbed the eye drops. Hanging his head back, he peeled one eye open as he delivered his instructions.

“Contact Luna Athon for me.”

Eve felt the floor tilt. The walls came crashing down. Her lungs stopped functioning. Black spots clouded the sides of her vision. The world turned into a haze of reality. A cloud blocked out her consciousness.

“I’m sorry, Sir Hathaway,” she breathed out when she found her lips, “Who did you say it was again?”

Ambryan blinked several times, spreading the eye solution. He gave her a look while his hands screwed the cap back. “Luna Athon, the owner of Athon Corporation.”

3