CH 36: The Second First Date
117 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Alight Roller Skating Rink had a rectangular shape. Its main attraction had the size of an olympic pool. The waxed floorboards offered a smooth (and slippery) experience to skaters. The establishment also had two floors, keeping the upper one to its sides and allowing the customers to watch the rink from any spot.

Silver foil coated the ceiling. Lights in purple, blue, yellow and pink glowed from it. Tiny rotating spotlights whirled on the walls and the floor. Chairs and tables matched the colorful theme. Booming disco music thumped around the enclosed space.

People from different age groups occupied both the seats and the rink.

Eve squealed as soon as she entered. It differed from her childhood but it contained the identical spirit. The song crawled over her skin and flowed in her veins. It sang to her soul, reviving the little girl inside. She could spend hours here and not become tired.

Ambryan dusted his shoes on the doormat. After he finished, he stood there for a while. No one came in and out. Nothing bumped into him. His gaze stared straight ahead. The decorations paled in comparison to what he saw.

Crimson wavy hair swayed before him. A pink flared skirt did the same. Legs and feet staying in place, raised forearms circled alternatively like they swam in a pool. Hands pushed the air away from the body.

They moved without a care in the world.

He sighed through his nose as a memory flashed in his eyes. Melodic laughter echoed in his ears. Pearly white teeth gleamed from the sunlight. The combination was contagious. It drew him and pulled up the corners of his lips.

As it faded away, it left a warm feeling in his chest.

He welcomed it.

“This is so cool!” Eve exclaimed above the music. She spun on her heel and met a pair of violet eyes. Her lips stretched into a full-blown smile. “Thank you so much for bringing me here. I’ll make sure that this trip won’t go waste.”

She didn’t wait for a reply and skipped over to a counter. Shelves of roller blades stood behind its staff worker. A group of teenage girls headed for the rink, holding their rental shoes.

“One pair of Size 7 with socks, please,” Eve said and took out her wallet. The zipper ripped open under her grip. Her fingers counted the money inside. She searched the counter for the rate, hoping to give the exact amount.

“And a pair of Size 10 for me. Hold the socks.” Ambryan cut in and handed over a paper bill. The corresponding roller blades dropped on the counter. Then, the worker took the money and punched on the cash register.

Eve tucked her wallet back in her bag. She crossed her arms over her chest and exhaled sharply. “I could have paid for myself.”

She would have paid for him too. This was her idea after all. It was technically under her invitation. It was only natural that she’d be the person to treat her companion. The place wasn’t as hot as outside but it was warm.

She figured he’d be uncomfortable in his suit and jacket.

Instead, he merely shrugged and gave her a pair of roller blades. He lifted them up as if they were the tea set from earlier. “I know but I wanted to pay for our date.”

She caught them in her arms. They weighed heavier than other shoes—which was a given since they had wheels and metal pieces. “Did your mother tell you to do that?”

Granted, she hadn’t witnessed him date that much. The shopping idea gave her some insight though. She decided to think that Ambryan had zero knowledge on dating. Anything that hinted that he did was probably from Avery’s speeches.

“Whatever do you mean? My mother isn’t my boss,” he replied coolly. The worker came back to give him his change and he hid them in his inner breast pocket. “That would be me.”

Eve gawked at her boss’ back. This was the first time he talked this way to someone outside his close family and friends. She only got to hear it when Richard or Avery visited. Did this mean she was doing a good job?

Either way, it was both surprising and refreshing to hear.

He walked ahead of her, scanning for an empty table. His presence dominated any scene—even when he would usually be out of place. A skating rink? With Ambryan? This she had to see. Her feet scrambled to catch up with him.

They didn’t linger on a table for long, only to change out of their shoes. Eve unstrapped her heels and wore the socks. The worker had inserted them in one of the roller blades. Ambryan already wore a pair. He unlaced his black Oxford style shoes.

Eve was the first to step on the rink. The roller blades covered up to above her ankles. Four red wheels added an inch to her height. She kicked the floor with her right foot, sending her forward. She repeated it several times until she gained the momentum.

Her legs leaned on one side as she curved on a turn. Her feet stayed close together. She zipped past the crown, wind blowing in her face. The music played louder and she felt its beat. She moved along with the rhythm, spinning around and skating backwards.

The exhilaration was like no other.

Ambryan stood up from the chair. He raised one hand and snapped his fingers.

One of his bodyguards materialized by his side. He shrugged off his jacket, handing it over for safekeeping. His phone and wallet stayed in his pant pockets. His toes pushed lightly, gliding him towards the rink. He swept his gaze around the area and searched for a head of red hair.

The dimness of the room made it harder than it should.

At the time, Eve pulled her feet apart and dropped low to the ground. Her back curved behind her. Her arms spread wide like an eagle. If she closed her eyes—and not hit anyone—she could almost imagine herself on an ice rink instead.

Ambryan rolled into the rink, heading for where she’d be. He kept his posture straight and only shifted his weight as needed. His focus was on balance. Compared to her, he was as sturdy as a rock.

Eve rounded back up right. The execution was smooth. Most beginners would have stumbled from the tiniest mistake—but not her. She spent a week mastering it in the past. Now, it paid off.

Because she still remembered it.

“Woah! Mr. Hathaway!” Eve giggled when she noticed him. Her roller blades continued to move, making her circle him like a predator to a prey. “Did you also spend time at skating rinks? Never thought you’d move with such ease.”

“It’s not complicated,” he pointed out and stayed rooted on the spot. He only followed her with his violet eyes. The colorful lights danced on his beige skin. “It’s simple science.”

“You do have a point but how much can calculation help you?” She asked, her lips teasing a smirk. Her feet came to a full-stop as her gaze darkened into a challenging stare. “You think you can keep up? Skate and dance at the same time?”

“I don’t see dancing as necessary to enjoy skating.” Ambryan retorted. His face remained impassive.

Eve laughed once. Mischief sprang in her hazel eyes. “Ha! I’m not saying it as a way to enjoy. I’m saying it in the name of science. There has to be a formula, right? How figure skaters and alike are able to do it?”

“What does that have to do with me?”

She pushed herself towards him, giving him a clearer look. The lights highlighted her glossy lips. Her voice dropped to a soft whisper. “What do you say, Mr. Hathaway?

Something stirred inside Ambryan.

In this dark room, the world turned upside down. Things seemed different compared to when they were under a bright light. The faint scent of cherry blossoms floated up his nose. He stopped breathing. Even then, he could still smell it.

It had imprinted itself in his mind.

Eve parted her lips. Intense heat radiated off Ambryan’s stare. Just like earlier, it scorched through the surface and pierced her inside. She felt it ignite a fire she never had before. It gave her an adrenaline rush and a newfound confidence.

It had imprinted itself in her mind.

Her hands tucked behind her, Eve rolled backwards. The people parted like the red sea and allowed her to pass. Her hair and her skirt fluttered in the wind. Despite the strands on her face, it did little to hinder her smile.

Ambryan froze as she disappeared in the crowd. Time moved both slowly and swiftly for him. One moment, he smelled the cherry blossoms. The other, it vanished. He found nothing around him—only a pair of hazel eyes that became smaller until he lost sight of them.

A voice rose above the crowd and the music.

“Catch me if you can.”

4