Episode 294: Reciprocation
15 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“The one who just came in; no hair, tattoos on the scalp, long black tail. Her name is Valerian.” TO watched as the Nagarajin made her way to the canteen, “She’s next on your list.” They said to Mira. 

 

“Right.” Mira said as she took a sip of water from a pilfered bottle. “You’re sure she’s next?” 

 

“Positive.” TO said. That person was next on the list and TO knew that because Valerian fell between the arachnoid with the purple tipped feet who Mira had just spoken to, and the woman who had only seven tentacles instead of the eight that most of the Cephaloids possessed. 

 

“Alright.” Mira said, “Gimme a second, then I’ll head over.” She glanced around, “Anyone else.”

“Yes, the seven tentacled woman in the corner next, then the reptilian-”

“Don’t list it to me again.” She grumbled, “I won’t remember it, and you don’t need to prove your memory to me.”

TO grinned, their ears wiggling slightly, “Well, I had to earlier.” They said.

“Yeah, yeah, I know.”

Poor Mira did look tired; her antenna had slowed in their twitching, and pinned back almost permanently against her head. She also moved with an awkward lethargy, as though her body were too heavy for her.

“Are you alright?” TO asked.

“Tired.” She admitted. “I didn’t sleep well last night, and even though I’m eating the food… I still feel hungry afterwards? I mean, I feel full when I’m done…” 

 

Pursing their lips, TO considered this for a moment before reaching into their pocket and pulling out the bag of dried fish.

“Here.” They said, “Have some.”

“No, it’s fine, I’ll-”

“You’re unwell. I ate, and while the substance that they serve early is foul in its taste and texture, it at least seems to hold some nutritional value for me. Clearly, it has nothing for you.” They pushed the bag of fish into Mira’s hands. “Eat before you go to the next person.”

“No, it’s not-”

“Eat at least one, or I’ll stop reciting people off the list.”

Mira glared at TO, but it lacked the bite it might have had. Finally, she sighed and took two of the few remaining dried fish from the bag and passed the rest back to TO.

“I’d manage, you know.” She grumbled.

“That’s what I said, and you and Pearla still ensured I had food.” TO said.

“Whatever.” Mira muttered as she scarfed down the food. “I’ll eat this, and hit up the next person.”

TO glanced around, watching people entering and checking them off of their mental list as they did. “Do you want me to talk to a few people?” TO asked. They felt bad that Mira was doing everything while TO was just standing there and picking people out.

“Absolutely not.” Mira said, “You struggle with local dialects a lot, and you don’t always pick up on things. You know..” She shrugged, “When someone is uncomfortable, or anxious, in trying to be subtle.”

TO huffed, crossing their arms as they leaned against the wall. “Not my fault, nobody can express with their ears.” They grumbled. “Besides, I can pick out facial expressions-”

“Barley.” Mira said. She ate the last few bites, “Alright… Here I go. Who was the next person again?”

TO sighed. How did she forget this so quickly? “Over there.” TO said, pointing off to a corner, “Sitting on the floor and eating. No hair, tattoos on the scalp.”

“And her name is some kind of flower, right?”

“Valerian.” TO said, “I have no idea if it’s a flower or not.” 

 

She took off without another word to talk to Valerian, whose name may or may not have been a flower. With a sigh, TO glanced around, looking for more people. When Leanaran came in, they noted him but paid little attention since, given he knew what was going on, they didn't have to talk to him. Leanaran’s presence was extraneous information, and he faded from TO’s attention until the moment he was standing before them, looking up expectantly. 


“Oh. uh… Hello?” TO glanced over to Mira, who was just starting their conversation with Valerian. “Mira is over on the other side of-”

“That’s fine.” Leanaran said, “Come with me. Have a seat for a few minutes.” He lowered his voice, “I heard you were scrounging for food yesterday. I have some for you if you want it. It’s artificial jerky.”

Though TO was certain they could manage with just the stuff that they served at the cafeteria and the last dried fish for a little while longer, the promise of more meat was tempting even if it was artificial. Besides, maybe they could save some for Mira and Pearla.

“Alright.” TO said, “Let’s go.” They glanced over at Mira, and it seemed like she was going to take a while longer. Well, it was fine, she’d see TO sitting with Leanaran when she came back.

TO followed Leanaran to what was apparently his seat because although in the rest of the cafeteria had only standing room left, the seat that Leanaran had sat in when they saw him first was still open, as was the seat next to him.

“Someone saved your seat for you?” TO asked.

“Paid for by me.” Leanaran said. “I offer some special products to the people on either side to make sure they save the seat. Though, most people know it’s my seat, and they don’t want to annoy me.”

TO’s ears pinned back. They had seen stuff like this in the shows, where incarcerated people would use threats of violence to establish their hierarchy. “They’re afraid of you?” TO finally asked. 


“Oh, my no!” Leanaran said with a big laugh, “No no. I mean, I don’t think so? If I like someone, I’ll offer them special rates on stuff, or help them out from time to time.” Amused, he shook his head as he sat down, patting the seat next to him as he did. “Honestly, you watch too many shows.”

The flush to TO’s ears probably gave away that his assumption was entirely true, but how else was TO to learn about life outside of the training center before their placement. Of course, it’s not like the things they had seen in the shows had proven accurate.

 

“So…” They sat down, oddly conscious of not having a bowl with them while everyone else was eating. “... You don’t ‘lay a beat-down’ on people if they get in your way?”

“Well, I don’t.” Leanaran said, “I’m not interested in getting people hurt. Though, there are people here who will hurt you if they have reason to, there's hardly violence in the center itself. It’s too easy to get caught and the consequences are harsh. If you’re going to be attacked, it’ll be on a job assignment.”

TO was just glad they didn’t have to go on assignment.

Leanaran reached down under the table, and came up with one of the cafeteria bowls, but instead of the sludge that they normally had, Leanaran had filled it with bits and pieces of cubed, dried ‘meat’. The artificial stuff wasn’t as appetizing as the natural stuff, but since all TO had eaten in the last few days was the sludge and the fish it seemed like a high-class feast, so they dug in.

“You’re not adapting to the food here.” Leanaran chuckled, “I’d say you’ll have to learn… But I suppose you won’t, will you?”

TO paused for just a moment as a jolt of panic struck through them, but then they remembered they had in fact told Leanaran about their plans. “I suppose not.” They said before continuing to eat.

“And if everything goes according to plan, I can afford to splurge a little, can’t I? I might treat a new friend to a meal, and have a little chat.”

They stopped eating again, looking at Leanaran in surprise. “A friend?” They asked, their voice quiet. They hardly knew this man, and he already thought of him as a friend? “You consider me a friend?” 

 

“Of course. I mean, friends help each other, right? I heard you were scrounging for food and figured you’d need something half-decent to eat.”

The idea of such a transactional means of friendship seemed odd, but they remembered that the first day they met DH, they had made a deal to help each other; TO would help DH with their flying, and DH would teach TO to speak in a smoother manner. Of course, that was just an excuse to spend time together, and this felt very different.

Leanaran watched TO for just a moment longer before adding, “And… if I needed something from you, I’m sure you’d offer to help.”

“Well.. yes?” TO said, their ears flicking out at the strange, unidentifiable tone that Leanaran had; one that seemed far more purposeful than their normal speech. “But… I mean, I help people who aren’t my friends too?” They mostly remembered Q10, and how they shared their medication with them back in training. Of course, remembering the synth brought a wave of guilt and sickness to them, and brought to mind the way they were just so willing to get corrected. They focused again on their food, trying to block out the memory.

 

“Tio?” 

 

“Hmm?” TO glanced up from their food as Leanaran spoke their name. “Yes?”

Leanaran gave a heavy sigh. “You’ve lived a sheltered life before this, haven’t you?” They asked.

“A little.” they said as their ears dipped. Truthfully, they had been very sheltered in training; they saw that now. Although they remembered the story that Mira had made up about them, They wanted to avoid lying if they could.

“I can tell.” Leanaran said flatly, “I need some information.”

Suddenly, Leanaran’s comments about helping friends and having a chat fell into place. TO’s ears warmed as they set the jerky down.

“Ah.” They said, “We’re not actually friends, you just want to ask me something.”

Leanaran’s color turned a gray-blue as their tentacles twisted about them. “Ah.” They muttered. “... I have nothing against you, but I don’t know you, right?”

TO nodded, “I understand; that makes much more sense!” They sat upright, “So, to be clear… you’re trading me some of this jerky for information?”

Leanaran sighed again, “Yes, Tio. I’m trading you food for information.”

“Why didn't you just say that!” TO said. Now, they didn’t have to worry about potentially insulting Leanaran by saving some to give to Mira; it wasn’t a gift, it was currency. “What do you want to know?”

Leanaran looked around quickly, then leaned in and spoke in quiet, whispered words.

“Tell me about this Gyrini. Why is she here?”

0