Episode 297: Methanol
12 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was very little they kept from Leanaran upon bringing him to the laundry room after supper. While they told him of their ‘suspicions’ about the potential actions of the synth fleet once it approached Arkane, they did not share exactly how they got that information. They also left out the fact that TO was a synth, and that they had five other synths underground with them. TO worried that Leanaran would press them for more information, that he would demand to know how they had so much information. 

 

He didn’t. Of course, facing the annihilation of an entire planet's population was likely to push other, less important thoughts out of one’s head. 

 

There were questions about their source when it came to Outis though. The data that Vik had presented was incriminating to be certain; the simultaneous arrest of the guard, the call for the guards to find Pearla, and the slash to Outis’ remaining debt all added up to the same picture.

“I’ll take care of Outis.” Leanaran said, their voice cold, their expression unreadable as they read over the information once more. “Just… leave him to me.”

“What if they’re in the vents?” TO asked, glancing back up to the grated vent in the wall, “And if he reports on us-”

Before TO could finish their thought, Leanaran threw a dirty towel at them. “Put that over the vent.” He said. While TO did that, he picked up another towel, opened the sliding door, then let it close again. Just before it actually closed he caught the edge and held it in place. A moment passed before the door beeped, and a small light at the top flashed red. Ignoring that, Leanaran manually pulled the door shut.

“And now, this won’t open automatically.” He said. “So you don't have to be worried about someone walking in on you.” 

 

“That’s useful.” TO muttered as they tucked the towel around the corners of the vent.

“You pick up on things.” Leanaran said. “And we can’t risk anybody seeing her.” He glanced back to Pearla. “If Outis got so much debt slashed for just reporting you, then I’d hate to see what gets offered for someone finding you.”

“But… nobody would turn me in, right?” Pearla asked, “It’s not worth it, right?”

“Depends.” Leanaran said, “If someone thought they could bargain for the rest of their debt to be wiped, then maybe.”

“They haven’t even announced it yet.” Mira said, “So that’s not a problem-”

“It will be if they go much longer without finding her, they’ll release Pearla’s description to the center.” Leanaran said. “Every day we’re in lockdown is an extra day added to our debt. People are going to get sick of that, and end up looking for her with or without a reward.”

 

Mira turned to TO, “What do you think?” She asked. “If you were Gyrini, what would you do.”

“If I were Gyrini, I’d already have announced who I was looking for.” TO said. “I don’t know why she hasn’t.”

“I do.” Vik said. They were still on the line, though they were using a voice modulator just like the first time they spoke to TO. “Of course, I can see all the files. The center management sent a request to Gyrini, asking her to let them handle it themselves. I guess she’s coming down on them for the recent escapes.” 


“Well, that won’t last long.” TO said, “At least, it wouldn't last with me.” 

 

“I wonder about your particular experience in this.” Leanaran said, a sharp glance and the tight twisting of their tentacles betraying the otherwise cool tone and relaxed facial features. 

 

“Previous work experience.” Mira said, “They’re trustworthy.”

“I’ll take your word on it.” Leanaran said, “For now, anyway.”

“So what about the rest of our plan?” Mira asked. “Is it to your satisfaction? Can you help?”

“There’s a lot of moving parts here that I can’t see.” Leanaran muttered, “A lot is happening behind the scenes. It also requires a lot of trust in people I don’t know.” He glanced at Mira’s still broadcasting communicator, “Including people who won’t even use their real voice.”

“Hey.” Vik’s unnaturally deep voice spat from the communicator, “I don’t know you either, and I still agreed to work with you.”

“It’s the same plan it was when we first approached you.” Mira said, “Just… with a few extra steps.”

“Mira, I swear, if this was anybody but you…”

“I know I know.” Mira said, “So you’ll help?”

Leanaran sighed, “Yes.” He said, “Even if part of this is true, it’s best to get away from here as soon as possible.”

“So now what?” TO asked, “We wait for Gyrini to announce that she’s looking for Pearla?” They were prepared for a second night here away from their mate, but TO didn’t know if they could handle a third.

“Hmm, no need.” Leanaran said, “I can speed that up a little.” He smirked at TO, “You might have an idea on how Gyrini works, but I know how the guards work. The information will get back to me before I go to bed tonight, I assure you. Once it does, then I’ll take care of things.”

“Alright.” Mira said. She looked at Pearla, “Are you sure you’re ok with this? If things go wrong…”

Pearla hugged herself, shrugging, “I wouldn’t say I’m ok with this.” Pearla said, “But it’s the only option I can see, right?” She shivered, “I don’t know what Gyrini’s going to do when she gets her hands on me.”

“It’s a risk.” Vik said, “And your Partner's not thrilled with it, but the alternatives are worse; if you stay in there too long, Gyrini will catch you. I know you’re loyal, Pearla, and I know you’d never turn on any of us, but…”

“But torture will break you.” TO said, finishing Vik’s thought, “And without special training, you’ll tell her everything you know.”

“Right.” Vik said, “So… they hate it, but they can’t see another way. Also, it’s TO’s idea, and they trust TO.” 

 

Leanaran sighed once more, and gave TO a hard stare, “I hope you’re as good as they seem to think.” He said. “There’s going to be more than one death here if you don’t know what you’re doing.”

TO nodded, their ears dipping. They knew what they themself were doing, yes, but like Leanaran said; there were too many moving parts behind the scenes, too many variables. They weren’t used to working with Non-synths, and didn’t know how everyone would react.

Still… they had to do something.

“Alright.” Mira said, “Let’s get this started.”

======

 

Hours later, Mira and TO watched the screen projected before them. With the door jammed and the vent covered up, TO didn’t mind using their chip and projecting the video that Vik was sending them. There were many security cameras through the center, focusing mostly on larger communal areas and main hallways, but they only needed to watch the elevator and the stairs.

When Leanaran entered the elevator at two in the morning followed by a guard, and Gyrini, they only had to focus on one. 


“-I have no problem leading you to the infirmary.” Leanaran said, his voice clear once get go into the elevator, “But I’m certain you don’t need me to-”

“Certainly not.” Gyrini said, her voice a low hum, “But You’re still coming with me.”

“I don’t get why she’d do that.” Mira muttered.

“Well… Civilians lie.” TO said, reciting the words from their training, “If you catch them in a lie-”

“Them?”

“... Well, what they taught us, I mean.” TO said as their ears dipped back, “If you catch a civil- Someone in a lie, they’ll panic, and you’re more likely to get the truth from them.”

The elevator brought the three down to the bottom floor, to the infirmary that TO had visited only earlier that day. They strode past the sign leading to the morgue, and towards the infirmary.

“Vik, you’re certain you can get us audio from the infirmary?” Mira asked.

“Yup! I mean, not from the security cameras, but from the computer there.”


“And you’re you set certain everything up right?” TO asked, “You’re certain that all the files correct?”

“Really, you worry too much.” Vik said, “Yes, it’s all fine.”

The door to the infirmary slid open, allowing Gyrini, Leanaran, and the guard to enter. The security guard positioned in the infirmary went from his position of leaning his impressive bulk against the wall to standing at attention once Gyrini entered.

“A moment.” Dr. Nycht muttered, his ears twitching and rotating as the unfamiliar noise entered. He glanced up, and froze once he saw Gyrini.

“Minister Gyrini!” He said, dropping a file and standing as tall as he could atop the desk, “Apologies, I didn’t realize it was you. Please, sit, how can I-”

“I’m looking for a patient: Deceased. Nagarajin. Subject has curly black hair and purple toned skin.”

Dr. Nycht frowned, “That sounds familiar…” he muttered as he looked through his files.”

“Of courts it does, Dr. Nycht.” The guard at the door said. “That’s the description they gave us earlier today. You were to look out for any patients that match that description.”

“And I checked all the patients here.” He said, glancing back towards the curtained beds behind him, “But there was nobody matching that-”

Leanaran cleared his throat, “I had to interrupt.” He said, “But I heard she had expired already when she came here. Maybe she never even came into the infirmary?”

Dr. Nycht thrummed his fingers on the table. “Possible…”

“Unlikely.” The guard said, “Doctor, you always bring your patients in here-”

“Yes, but if she was dead already…. Ah.” He found a file on his computer and projected the image above the computer so that Gyrini could see. Though TO couldn’t see the image on the screen from where they watched the scene play out, they knew what it looked like; Pearla’s darkened eyes, sunken cheeks, the dry, cracked lips…

A picture couldn’t capture the unsettling stillness though.

“Pearla Faros.” He said, reading the file, “From the third moon of Folia. Cause of Death was Methanol poisoning.” He sighed and shook his head, “Dumbasses.”

“Methanol poisoning.” Gyrini echoed, considering the words, “How.”

“Most likely from bootleg seaberry.” He said, “Some of the indebted smuggle it back from trips underwater, ferment and distill them here. Most of the time they fail.”

“I see…” She said, “How was she found? Was anyone around her? Who reported her?”

“Uh…” Dr. Nycht checked the file, “It says someone by the name of ‘Leanaran’ reported her body-”

“And that’s myself.” Leanaran said, “I found her under a bed in the dormitory. She must have drunk some bad sea berry juice.”

“I see.” Gyrini said. Now she was watching Leanaran carefully, “Or someone gave her bad seaberry juice.” 

 

“Well, always possible…” Leanaran said, “But I wouldn’t know-”

“Spare me.” She hissed, “I already know about you. You basically have a little shop running in here.” When Leanaran didn’t respond to that with anything more than a startled look, she continued, “I really don’t care what little scams you’re running in here; it’s frankly beneath me. What I do care about is what happened to this person.”

“... I didn’t give her seaberry juice.” Leanaran said, “I didn’t know her until recently, didn’t trade with her, and honestly I avoid getting that stuff to clients as it tends to end with them dead.”

Gyrini watched him for a moment more, then turned to the doctor again, “What time was she declared dead.” She demanded.

“I found her yesterday, late at night.” Leanaran said, “I don’t know… twenty-five hours thereabouts?”

“She was logged in here about twenty-five forty.” The doctor said, “So.. between the time she was found, reported, and transported down here… that would make sense.”

“You didn’t mention this to me.” The bulky guard said, “Are you certain?”

“Well, the paperwork is here, so I must have done it right!” They said, “My memory is awful, but look, I’ve done better than I thought I did.” He pointed to the guard, “This is why I’m so careful with my paperwork!”

It seemed to be going well, at least. Leanaran had memorized everything on the report, the guard on duty today wasn’t the same as the one on duty with the doctor the other night, and Dr. Nycht’s memory was just as bad as Leanaran said it was. Still, the next words from Gyrini still filled TO with dread. It was a request TO was expecting though, as her request was exactly what TO would have requested.

“I want to see the body.” 

0