Chapter 3.2
515 2 29
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

“Ne’ tola, you have brought the child. I have been waiting for so long,” the woman said as she looked at my aunt. Then she turned her attention to me. “So long have I waited for you to awaken, little one. So long have I wished to finally meet you, though I wish I had met you with your mother beside you,” she continued as she walked towards me. I looked at her and tilted my head.

(You knew my mom?) I said. I wondered if she could hear me. By the look of the smile on her face, she could.

“Why yes, my child, I did. Just as I know everyone here. I have lived a long time and have met many of your kind, including your ancestor. That man was so noble, even in the face of having to kill his closest friend.” She said as she sat on her knees. She reached out towards me, and I started to back away, but something inside me told me that I was okay. Wearily I allowed her to place her hand on my head. The touch sent warm feelings throughout my entire body. It was like being covered in a blanket.

“They are still looking for her, Ne’tola. I will do what I can, but it won’t last forever. When she is back in our world, they will be hunting for her.” the woman said. I could only guess that she was talking about me. Who was looking for me, and why? What have I ever done for someone to be hunting for me?

(Be still, little one. Everything will be made clear soon.) Aunt Brenda reassured me.

“Now, please hold still. I am going to place a concealment spell on you. It will protect you from those who hunt you for a time. By the time it expires, I hope that things can be solved. Your Luna will oversee making sure things get solved for more than your behalf.” The woman said before leaning down and kissing my forehead. I felt a tingling sensation on my head. It was like a light pressure against my skin.

“There, you will be safe for now, but please tread lightly, my child. This will not save you from them if you go and draw attention to yourself,” she said with a stern look on her face. Did she expect me to do something to get myself captured or killed? She didn’t know me at all. “ Be safe, child, and know that I will be there should you ever need me.” the woman said before disappearing in a flash of light. Then everything started to calm.

As the winds stop swirling and the clouds cleared, I felt a massive wave of exhaustion come over me. It felt like I had stayed up for days without sleep. I slowly fell to the ground. I tried to keep my eyes open, but it was becoming harder and harder. (Rest now, sweet girl. You have been through a lot.) I heard my aunt say before the world went black.

When I awoke, it was the next morning. I was in moms’ bed with no clothes. I wondered if last night all had been a dream, but I don’t remember going to bed. Slowly I tried to get out of bed but was greeted with pain. Every joint in my body felt like someone had lit them on fire. With determination, I willed myself out of bed. Slowly I made my way to the bathroom. I closed the door and looked in the mirror. Everything seemed the same. My blonde hair sitting just down to my shoulder-blades. My blue eyes. Nothing seemed different until I looked at my neck

On the side of my neck, just below my head, was a mark. It was a strange symbol with different colors. It kind of reminded me of those Zen tangle coloring sheets. I couldn’t make out what it was supposed to be, but it was gorgeous. When I touched it, I felt a chill run down my body. I would have to ask my aunt about it if she was willing to tell me the truth. All of these lies and secrets were getting to be too much. I left the bathroom and walked into the walk-in closet, and got dressed.

Heading down the stairs, I could hear my aunt and cousins talking. I couldn’t quite make out what they were saying, but they all got quiet as soon as I entered the dining room. I rolled my eyes, went into the kitchen, and grabbed a glass of orange juice before sitting at the table.

“Good morning Michi. Did you sleep well?” Ally said. She was trying to sound happy, but I could see that she was worried about something. It was in her facial expression. Without saying a word, I nodded. It was too early to pretend to be happy.

Aunt Brenda studied me for some time. I sat there and ignored her the best I could. I wasn’t going to be the first to bring anything up if it was at all real.  Erin just smiled at me when I looked at her. The twins were acting so generic that if I didn’t already know who they were, I wouldn’t be able to tell them apart.

“Michala, do you remember anything from last night?” Aunt Brenda asked. I looked at her, but I did not say a word. I know I had been difficult before, but now I had a reason. If what happened last night was real, then my whole life had been a lie. And why now of all times? “Please, I know something is on your mind. You have wanted answers, and now I can give them to you,” she said, almost pleading. I wanted to ignore her, to just pretend that she wasn’t talking to me. I tried to make her suffer just a little of what I was going through. But the anger inside of me was too much. First, I lose my parents, and then I find out that everything about me was a lie.

“Was last night real, or was I just dreaming? Am I some kind of freak? Some kind of monster?” I asked, my hands trembling as the anger inside me threatened to consume me. Ally and Erin both looked terrified.

“You are neither a freak nor a monster. You are a beautiful girl who just happens to be able to become a wolf,” she said with a smile. How could she be smiling about this? Did she even hear what she was saying? How could a human be able to become a wolf? It wasn’t physically possible, right?

“A long time ago, our ancestor Van Helsing was a regular man. After his wife and kids were murdered by his longtime friend Dracula, I searched for a way to end his friend’s reign of terror. You see, neither Van Helsing nor Dracula was originally werewolf or vampire. They each made a pact with demons for the sake of revenge against their family’s murders—first, Dracula, who wanted a way to protect his people from the Ottoman army. And then Van Helsing after Dracula murdered his daughter and son and took his wife as one of his brides. After Dracula was slain, those who he had turned began a rebellion against Van Helsing. And that is how Van Helsing ad comes to be known as the vampire slayer.” Aunt Brenda said.

Even as she said the words, it sounded like something out of a book. To me, more specifically, the original Dracula book. Was this some kind of joke to her? If so, it was in poor taste.

“I would like to tell you more about the history, but for now, I will make it easy for you. Yes, everything that happened last night was real. It wasn’t a dream, although it would be strange for it all to be a dream because if it were, we all shared the same dream,” she said as a smirk broke across her face. Now she was really making jokes at my expense. This still wasn’t getting me anywhere.

“I tell you what, be patient with me, and let me make you some breakfast because you look like you could use the food. After you have eaten and are settled, we can further discuss everything,” Aunt Brenda said as she got up from the table. As much as I wanted to argue, I was hungry. I felt like I hadn’t eaten in days. Reluctantly I nodded before she disappeared into the kitchen. The twins both looked at me and smiled. Another day and more secrets to learn about. When would I be able to properly mourn for my parents? Silently I waiting for all the secrets to be over with and my real life to begin.

29