Chapter 4.1
455 3 26
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was thirty minutes before Aunt Brenda came back with my breakfast. It was pancakes again. I jokingly thought that she was trying to fatten me up. Keeping her word, Aunt Brenda didn’t say anything to me while I ate.

When I was finished with breakfast, aunt Brenda took my plate back to the kitchen, then came back and sat at the table.

“You have to understand that everything that we did, we did for your protection. You see, part of the treaty between vampires and werewolves was that they were not allowed to conceive a child. Both sides feared that a creation like that would become too powerful,” aunt Brenda said.

I tried to grasp the severity of what she was telling me. Apparently, my parents had broken one of the largest laws in the treaty. Did this mean that if someone found out that they would kill me? I hoped not. I didn’t do anything wrong, except being born.

“When your parents had you, it was during a time when there was turmoil between the races. Some felt that the treaty was a mockery—descendants of those who were in the war. Originally, your parents did not mean to conceive you. However, when you were born, your parents thought that eventually, you could change people’s minds. Bring both races together,” my aunt continued. I felt a sickness wash over me. My parents were going to use me as a way to prevent a war? Like I was just some pawn.

“So, you’re saying that I was a necessary accident?” I asked as anger began to sweep over me. I was a kid. I wasn’t a means to an end. And to feel that that was all my parents saw me as was like a knife to the heart. My aunt frowned.

“No, Michala. It wasn’t like that. That is why they took you away from here when you were a baby. They realized that your existence would only fuel the fire. They loved you more than you will ever know.

“If they were so worried about what would happen to me, then why did mom plan on me going to school in the one place that they were worried about learning about me. It seems a little redundant,” I said, brushing my hair out of my face. With everything that she was telling me, I just felt my anger grow.

“Despite the danger, they knew that after your transformation, it would no longer be safe to attend school with humans. Too many temptations.” She said as she placed her hand on my knee. I moved it, letting her hand drop. “I will be there to make sure that no one harms you, as well as some others who know about you.”

By this time, Ally and Erin had disappeared. I guess they didn’t want to hear what my aunt had to say. Or maybe they just didn’t want to get in the middle of whatever happened.

            “I know that this is a lot to take in, and I wish that there was a better way of telling you, but there isn’t. But please don’t worry so. We will get through this together,” she said, trying to reassure me. I sighed and looked at the floor. No matter what she said, it wasn’t going to change how I felt.

            I sat there for some time, letting everything sink in. Because of my parents, I will always have to look over my shoulder and wonder if the person behind me will be there to kill me. It was not something that I ever thought I would have to worry about.

            “Now, I know that you just got here and all, but unfortunately, the term is about to start.” Aunt Brenda said with a sympathetic look on her face. Not only did I turn into a werewolf the other night, but now I have to prepare to go to this new school. It was like one hit after another.

            “Why is school starting during the middle of summer?” I asked.

            “Because that is how it’s always been since before I was born. Maybe even longer than that.” Aunt Brenda said.

            “So when does school start then?” I asked curiously. There was a slight smile on her face after that question.

            “Next Tuesday. You should also know that the building that the humans know as Lakeland Academy is just a façade. The building that they see is just an illusion. When we enter the building, we will be walking into another realm. A realm where fae children can be themselves without the fear of human panic,” aunt Brenda said. Now she was starting to sound crazy, but then again, if you had told me that werewolves were real, I thought you were mad.

            “Is that everything?” I asked, wanting to get out of the kitchen and away from my aunt as soon as possible. Everything was just moving so fast. I barely had time to get used to my new home before being told that I wouldn’t be living here at all.

            “For now. Sadly, now I have to leave you and get to the academy. Have to make the final preparations to welcome the new students, which includes you,” aunt Brenda said, standing and putting her arms around me.

            It had been two hours since my aunt had left, leaving me in the house by myself. Had decided to go back to my moms’ room and think about everything that my aunt had told me. I still couldn’t believe that I was just the product of a taboo.

            By the time aunt, Brenda got home, it was time for dinner. The twins had come home hours before, but they kept to themselves as I stayed in my mom’s room. I would have gladly eaten my dinner in my room, but my aunt insisted that I eat with them. Reluctantly I joined them and ate dinner.

            After I went back to my mom’s room and took a shower. After my shower, I laid in bed and just thought about my life now. I don’t know when I finally fell asleep. Everything was a blur.

            The next morning, after having breakfast, Brenda said that we needed to go to the academy and get me enrolled. It was a quiet ride. There wasn’t a lot around these parts. There were a few houses, but the rest was mostly farmland or fields. Just another reminder of how secluded we were.

            When we got to the building that was Lakeland Academy, it looked like an ordinary school building. Aunt Brenda parked, and I got out of the car and stretched. Then she took me by the hand and led me to the double doors of the building.  I really thought that we were just going into a regular school building until we walked through the door.s

            On the other side of the doors was a dense forest. In the distance, I could see what almost looked like a castle. We were still a bit away, so it took a bit to reach the building. When we finally crossed the edge of the forest, I was in awe. It really was a castle-like structure, complete with towers.

            “Welcome to Helsing Academy. This is where you will be spending the next three years, except for during break.” Aunt Brenda said. I just looked at it in awe. Other teenagers were walking around the grounds. Some of them seemed utterly inhuman.

           

            There was a girl with cat ears and a tail, a boy covered in scales, and even a few fairies. There were also wolves running around and chasing one another. A couple of them I recognized from the other night. It was as we were walking across the courtyard that I noticed her.

            Standing next to a giant tree was a girl with pale skin. Her long black hair draped over her shoulders. Her deep red-colored eyes scanning the grounds. She had to be about my height. I watched as people did their best to avoid her. I wondered what she had done for them to act that way.

            “Aunt Brenda, who is that girl over there?” I asked as curiosity got the best of me. My aunt looked in the direction that I was pointing and smiled.

            “That is Keaira Blaylock. She is a new student here as well. She is a vampire, and the descendent of Lamont Blaylock, one of the founders of the academy,” my aunt said. I tried not to stare at her, but it was hard to resist. She was stunning. I guess she realized I was staring at her because she covered her face and walked away. I sighed and then turned my attention back towards the academy.

26