Chapter 6
13 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Welcome my dear lurkers, I hope you are all doing well! (^^). Next chapter should come out wednesday, at 2PM GMT.

She turned and looked at him with a pair of brown eyes that sparkled with streaks of vibrant green. For a moment, Lane stood there lost in surprise.

“Lane?” Asked his sister shaking his arm, “Em, Lane.” She repeated.

“Uh, ah hello!” Lane said taking a step towards the girl. However, she remained silent, her eyebrows rising slightly just an instant before lowering again.

“Do you know him?” asked Dahlia.

“This is my first time in the north,” answered the girl with a shrug, “Unless he had been to the capital, I believe this is our first meeting, mister?”

“L, Lane.” He managed to answer.

“Then allow me to introduce you,” said Dahlia turning to Lane, “This is Lady Erin Vance, envoy of The King” Dahlia said as she pointed with her whole hand towards the girl. “My Lady, this silly gentleman is Lane Darr, son of the kingdom’s blade, brother of our Lena, and childhood friend of mine.” She finished while turning her hand at Lane.

At the introduction, Erin made a small curtsy without standing from her chair.

“It’s my pleasure to make you acquaintance Mr. Darr. I confess my new friends have told me some stories of yours which I am very curious about.” Erin said raising an eyebrow.

Lane managed to collect himself enough to give an awkward bow and when he realized, he was sitting at her side. On the table, was a varied assortment of pastries with a set of tea, probably work of Dahlia and Lena. Being closer, lane saw that Erin was wearing a white shoulder less blouse while a pair of black gloves covered from her hands to her elbows.

“Ha-ha,” laughed the City Lord, “While I’m sure you certainly have some interesting tales, I believe My Lady was about to tell us the purpose of the visit.”

“My, then we will have to catch up later,” Erin said looking at Lane with a smile, “But I guess My Lord is right, today I came here to deliver our King’s word.” She said taking out a sealed letter and pushing it towards Deren, who received it and put it away promptly.

“Besides that, I’d like to announce that the Heir, my master, will receive the Winter Reveal here, and make sure the conditions during the same are appropriate for my master’s station,” Erin said before taking a sip from a small cup of tea.

That revelation finally made his father’s expression change when his eyebrows rose, albeit for a moment. Lance Darr quickly schooled his expression but the City Lord was not as subtle.

“The prince is coming?” He asked while rubbing his thick beard, “If I may, when will he arrive? We only have a week of moon left. A week and a half at the best.”

“Yes,” Erin answered setting her cup back on the table, “His Highness is aware of the dangers of traveling during the winter moonless nights. That is why my master will arrive tomorrow. I am to part at the first light to reunite with the entourage escorting him into the town.”

“I don’t believe that is the usual procedure,” Said Lane’s father while the City Lord hummed in contemplation.

“And for that, you have my apologies,” answered Erin, bowing at the City Lord with both hands at her heart.

“None is needed,” Said the Lord, “So please rise my Lady, I’m sure what our Captain meant was that this would require more than a night of preparation.” He continued, and while his voice was level and perfectly courteous, there was no trace on his face of his usual goofy smile.

“To be honest,” The City Lord continued, “I, myself would like to know the reasons our King had for such decision or the suddenness of the same.”

“Must I?” Asked Lady Erin, looking at the City Lord’s eyes with a frown.

“I would appreciate it as a personal favor,” answered the City Lord, “And it would doubtlessly help us prepare better. So, yes.” He finished with a nod.

Instead of answering, Lady Erin stood there, biting her lip in silence, with her frown deepening, and her eyes closed. Although she stood like that, no one interrupted her, nor pressed for an answer. Finally, after letting out a sigh, she opened her eyes and looked at the City Lord’s eyes.

Lane had been watching the whole exchange silently, but at the sight of a tiny, and young girl looking at the Lord with such determination, he barely held a gasp.

“Then I’ll have to apologize in advance,” Lady Erin said, “Because I must be brazen with my Lord.”

The City Lord, seeing her seriousness, nodded in approval.

“Tell me, my Lord, can you trust the people in this room? Can you vow for their loyalty?” She asked, and this time, not only Lane but also his sister and Dahlia failed to rein in a gasp of surprise.

“Those are not light words my Lady,” the City Lord said, but Lady Erin only stared at his eyes expectantly, “So be it.” He said, and after a pause, “I Deren Korden, Shield of the North, and Son of Karin and Darian make this vow of my free and conscious will. The loyalty of everyone I am aware of in the room is absolute, and unconditional, to the Kingdom.”

With each word, Lane felt a pressure in the room building up. That pressure was invisible, yet as tangible as a physical wall pressing over him.  As the chant progressed, The City Lord’s eyes shone brighter, with a red hue replacing their usual blue.

“May The Spirits watch my soul, and The Far Star witness my pledge.” The City Lord finished, and as soon as he stopped, the pressure vanished entirely. With the weight gone, Lane realized that, at some point, he had clenched his fists over the table leaving his knuckles white.

“Now tell me, my Lady. What is so important that required the weight of my life to balance it?” Asked The City Lord.

“L, life? Dad, Life?” Asked Dahlia, tears threatening to fall from her eyes as she trembled, “Dad?”

“It’s okay darling.” Said her father in a gentler voice before turning again to Lady Erin. Lane looked at her too and saw the Lady relaxing visibly, letting out a breath as her shoulders fell.

“Thank you, my Lord,” she said and licked her lips, “It was necessary. You see, the final choice for the location of my master’s reveal was not the King’s doing.”

“You mean. The Queen picked our town?” Asked the City Lord with a frown. Moreover, Lane’s Father was frowning too.

Why is that important? Wondered Lane, then a glance around the table showed him that Dahlia and Lena were just as lost at the reason why.

“Yes, my Lord,” said Lady Erin, “The King’s word has the instructions, and requests, for my master’s security. That alone should be enough guarantee. However, in case there were doubts,” and she stopped for a moment, pulling her left glove to reveal a second sealed letter, “This is directly from The Queen’s hand, only for the eyes of The Shield, and The Sword.” And passed the letter to the City Lord.

“I take it you don’t know what it’s in there,” said The Lord.

“Not a single clue,” She answered looking downwards and shaking her head, “Right now you know as much as I do.” She finished, her glove was now a crumpled mess in her hands.

“Well, I suppose we will have to cut our welcome short then. You will have to excuse us, my Lady,” Said the City Lord standing up together with Lane’s father, “I take it we will have a busy night. You stay in good company though. Dahlia,” He said turning to his daughter, she was tranquil now but some traces of tears remained as proof of her earlier distress “I’ll have to trouble you to accompany Lady Erin for the rest of the day, see that she has everything she needs and tell Hans to prepare a proper carriage and escort for her tomorrow.”

“Yes, dad.” Answered Dahlia cleaning her eyes.

“My Lady and children.” He nodded at them and walked away, leaving the room with quick steps, Lane’s father following closely in silence.

After they left, the youths stood a few moments watching the table in silence. The petite Lady fidgeting with her cup. The tea in the pot cold, and the pastries on their plates intact.

Then, Lady Erin put her glove back on, and turned to Dahlia, breaking the silence with a question. “Young Lady, I, I am sorry about earlier. If you are so kind, can we see the castle?”

Dahlia took a moment to react, staring at the table, but then looked up at Erin and asked, “Could you, would you tell us about the Queen? Why did my dad react like that? Please.” Her brows were furrowed, and her hands wrapped around a small cup that trembled slightly, spilling sips of tea on the table.

For an answer, Lady Erin looked at her and simply nodded.

 

0