Chapter 17- Finale Assualt (Rewrite)
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The thing, whatever was a pitch-black dog-like creature. Similar to the Hell Hounds I had seen when I had first appeared in the Demon Grounds, but far bigger and meaner looking. While the Hell Hounds had a sense that they were animals, the creature in the chamber was thinking and it was furious, but based on the collar and stakes sunk into the stone of the cavern, not a willing participant.

The thing lashed out and tried to bite at one of the Forsaken but the man jumped clear of the bite. "ENOUGH! Get all the critical supplies packed up, we have to leave before another scouting group finds us!" I looked to see a Demon decked in medium armor and wielding twin blades barking orders at the other Forsaken.

As I studied the man a tag appeared [Forsaken Lieutenant- Eldred Shadow-Fire] appeared and I smiled as I shot off a quick message to the others. The Forsaken had made a critical mistake and assumed whatever had happened had killed the invading force as well as their defenders above. 'HELP ME, COUSIN!' I heard the mental call and my eyes snapped to the large dog again as it strained at its bindings as it stared at me.

I froze in surprise and immediately checked to make certain my Stealth had not been disrupted. 'The Blood Traitor and his followers have not detected you, yet. Free me and I will help you cousin!' it called again and I frowned in worry as my thoughts went to Chessala, Dura, and Anna, and the dog-like creature snorted.

'Do not worry, I will not harm the mortals and Angel as long as they do not attack me. Give me a Blood Oath cousin, and I will give you mine, this will bind us and I cannot break a Blood Oath.' the mental conversation continued.

I considered my options, besides the dozen Forsaken, there was at least the same amount of Summoned creatures around the cavern as well. Between the Dark Rangers Summoned Dead and the others, we had ten attackers, so we needed every edge we could get. "Agreed.' I silently whispered and the thing nodded its head as I pulled touched the spike balancing my hammer and cut my thumb causing blood to well up. 'I, Damocles Al'Theron, swear to free you and in return, you will assist my companions and me in defeating your captors. After you will leave unimpeded by us and you will not harm us either unless intentionally attacked, agreed?" I whispered and the creature bit its paw letting some blood flow to fall on the ground.

'I, Spot, Warden and Gatekeeper of the Underworld, First of the Cerberus, swear to uphold your terms if you free me. This a swear by the Demon Blood flowing through my veins.' Spot responded and suddenly a green tag appeared over the Cerberus.

"How do I free you?" I asked Spot as I continued to move slowly once again.

'The spikes, destroy them and I can do the rest.' Spot immediately responded before lunging at another captor that got too close causing the Demon to skip backward and falling. I smiled as I quickly fired off another message about the new development as I moved into position for my part of the assault as I tried to figure out how to free Spot so he could assist us.

The collar wrapped around the large hound's neck was inscribed with dozens of Runes and Sigils, each one glowing with power. Attached to it were two chains, glowing with power attached to two anchor points. "How do I break the anchor points?" I asked the Cerberus as I continued to study the chains, collar, and anchor points.

'Using your power, by weapon or magic, as long as a Demon does it I will be freed.' Spot responded as he snarled at another Forsaken. With a flash of light, Anna and the others appeared, Skeletal Warriors and Ravenous Zombies tore into the Forsaken and their creatures as the battle began. My hammer slammed into the nearest Forsaken's head in front of me causing his health to drop to the critical range as wheeled around and triggered Shadow Walk. 

I quickly traversed the cavern as the battle devolved into an all-out fight of survival. I appeared near Spot as I did and drove Shadowfury into the spike pinning him to the ground "NO!" someone called behind me but I ignored the scream of indignation as I dove for the other spike when something slammed into me from the side.

<<<>>>

Debuff Mindspike: Spirit Regeneration has been negated. (Duration 10 Seconds)

<<<>>>

I grunted in pain as the bolt sent me skidding away and Spot snarled in anger. I rolled to my feet as I instinctively brought Shadowfury up as Eldred brought his blades down on me. "FOOL! You have no idea what you have stepped into, withdraw and I will let you live." the Demon snarled out and I smiled as I triggered Demonic Combat Form as I spun flinging the man's blades away and brought Shadowfury down on the Demons trailing leg, bones snapped as my hand rose.

Before I could cast a spell I felt another spell settle on me.

<<<>>>

Debuff Silence: Cannot cast Spells. (Duration 15 Seconds)

<<<>>>

I grunted in annoyance, Shadow Walk and Shadow Bolt were out I thought as I rolled away from the other Demon as he struck out at me as he began to shift as he assumed his Combat Form. Eldred gained about a foot in height, a hundred pounds easily, a barbed tail, and large green horns grew from his head as he lunged at me. "I will end you!" I smiled and did my best to dodge and parry the more powerful Demons blows.

Suddenly golden flames engulfed the larger Demon making him scream in pain as he glared at Anna as she twirled away to reengage her opponent, but it had accomplished the task I needed. A distraction. I sprinted towards the last spike as I checked the timer on the Silence Debuff, five seconds left.

I felt the sting as Eldred's blades grazed my back as I sprinted towards Spot. The Cerberus was glaring over my shoulder and I raised my hammer and brought it down in the last spike. In a flash, Spot let out an unearthly howl as it shifted growing larger and more powerful as the collar around its throat burst and exploded. Two shadowy heads grew from its shoulders and it launched itself at Eldred.

Black and orange flames washed over the Demon as Spot let out a bone-chilling howl as his main head concentrated on Eldred while his other two heads launched waves of black flames towards nearby Forsaken. I smiled as the Silence Debuff finally came off cooldown and I hit Eldred with a trio of Shadow Bolts as I circled the fight between the two powerful foes.

The Demon howled in pain and annoyance as a blinking red bar appeared over his head. Spot let out another howl and charged towards another group of Forsaken and leaving me to face the wounded Eldred. I triggered Shadow Walk, the ongoing battle for the cavern froze around me. Half of the Forsaken and most of their summoned creatures were down, but all of Chessala's summoned Dead were gone.

I moved over to Eldred and activated Stealth as I prepared to end him. I had to hit him with everything and I hoped it was enough. As the world came crashing back into focus, I triggered Backstab, Savage Blow, and Shadow Strike. The combination strike as it slammed into the Demons back, snapped bones and caused Eldred to scream in pain as he staggered back, but I pressed foreword launching a Shadow Bolt after Shadow Bolt until I didn't have the Spirit to cast a spell as I looked around to see the Cerberus and the others finish the last of the Forsaken.

"It doesn't matter you fool!' I looked over to see Eldred revert to his pre-Combat Form state as he collapsed. Entrails and blood pouring from the open wounds of his stomach. 'You have won this battle, but we are winning the war. Tell whoever sent you, we have already broken four of the seals, eight more, and everything will change." My hammer slammed into his head silencing the Demon forever as I looked over to see Spot eyeing Anna.

"Enough you two, whatever ancient hatreds you have for each other doesn't matter here and now. Spot works with or for Hades, so unless you want to start a fight with a god, leave him alone Anna. Spot, she is with me, please don't antagonize her." I told the two beings causing them both to stop glaring at each other and relax slightly. I touched what remained of Eldred's body and looted it, gaining a nice sum of gold, a piece of armor I could use and better than what I had, and an odd piece of metal.

<<<>>>

Armor Name: Shadow Guard
Armor Type: Medium Armor; High Steel Chainmail, Segmented Leather, Lorica
Class: Epic
Base Defense: 60
Primary Effects...
--- +20 Dexterity
--- +15 Intelligence
--- +15 Spirit
--- +10 Vitality
Secondary Effects...
--- +10% Resistance to Elemental Damage
--- +5% Resistance to Blunt and Slashing Damage

Item Name: Unknown Seal
Item Description: This item is ancient, and although the potent magics that once were used upon it are gone, the metal can still be repurposed for other uses. 

<<<>>>

I pulled the piece of metal out of my inventory and studied it. It was warped, as if from heat, dozens of small Runes and Sigils had been engraved upon it but no energy coursed through it at all. "HEY!' I called over to Anna and Spot showing the piece of metal and both beings moved over to study it. 'Something tells me this is a clue to what the Forsaken were up to and why we should be worried. Eldred said something about seals and that they had broken four already, do you guys have any idea what he was talking about?" I asked them.

Anna shrugged her shoulders, "I have no idea, but I can tell you it was used to focus an immense amount of magic." she replied before looking at Spot who stood frozen in surprise.

'I know exactly what that is, that is one of the twelve Seals emplaced upon the Netherworld, they were used as foci to channel the magic that keeps the prison locked up.' Spot responded, shocked at the appearance of the seal in front of him. 'If four of them have fallen into the hands of the Forsaken, the Fallen's plans have advanced further than we have ever believed. I must go and speak to Lord Hades, good luck cousin. If it is as bad as I believe it is, you will need every advantage you can get. Look me in the eyes cousin and do not look away.' the Cerberus commanded and I followed his instructions.

It felt like I was falling and suddenly everything stopped and I was left staggering away from the large Cerberus. "What did you do to him Demon!" Anna hissed as she steadied me while eyeing Spot.

'I helped him on the next step on his path. He is no longer a Spawnling, but a full-fledged Demon. The changes will occur over the next eight hours. Stay your course cousin and your blood will awaken given time. Good luck, I will be keeping my eye on you cousin.' Spot bowed his head once towards me then turned and disappeared.

"Chessela, loot, and salvage what you can, Dura please help her. Anna, tell me everything you know about these Seals." I told her as I sat down as I broke out in a sweat.

Anna studied me with a frown, "As Spot said, when the Full Blood Demons and whatever Fallen they were able to cast out of Midgard, they wouldn't just stay in the Netherworld because we asked them, they had to be locked away. Twelve foci, or Seals, were used to lock them away. In theory, the Seals would last for eternity, but apparently, the Fallen that remained free have other ideas. If Eldred wasn't lying, the Forsaken have already broken four of the twelve Seals." Anna explained and I nodded my head in understanding as a headache made me wince.

Anna hesitated but at my gesture, she continued. "Of the twelve Seals, one is kept by Michael, one was cast into Midgard and lost to time, and the remaining Seals were divided among Lilith and her most devout followers. It is a duty that has been handed down from one follower to the next, but if they have broken four of them, some of them have been compromised by the Forsaken," she stated as a muscle twinge caused my whole body to jerk. I grabbed a Portal Scroll from my inventory and handed it to the Angel.

"Get us back to Capena, grab the head we have to turn in the Quest to Atreus DuCall!" I told her as I groaned in pain as another wave of pain rolled over me.

1