Chapter 20- Bad, to Worse (Rewrite)
43 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I studied the huge building in front of me, large marble columns lined the steps leading into the interior. Large double doors were open and while nothing about it was ominous, I had an uneasy feeling about it. "Why are we here again?" Anna asked as she studied the Parthenon.

I sighed, "For multiple reasons, you do not have to go in but with everything going on I thought it would be best to visit and see what assistance or answers I could get. With a Friendly Reputation with Hades, I might find out why I don't have a Curse unlike other Twice Damned, at least." I told her and she grimaced as I walked up the steps and into the building.

Several people were waiting within, talking to each other and one of them broke off as I entered. "How can we assist you sir?" the Demon asked.

"Yes sir, I was looking for the Altar dedicated to Hades," I told him causing the Demon to frown and study me.

"You don't strike me as a Dark Mage or Necromancer...but that is between you and Hades, follow the main hallway, his temple is the third room on the left. No violence will be tolerated within the Parthenon, breaking the peace will have devastating consequences. Welcome." the Demon finished before turning and walking back to his companions as I followed his directions.

As we walked the halls, I saw several followers of various gods and goddesses as we walked. I spotted an Altar with a raven and spear engraved into, "That is for Morrigan, goddess of Battle and Tactics. You should offer her thanks for being able to free Spot and winning the battle against the Forsaken." Dura commented and I smiled.

"I think that had more to do with luck than anything else Dura, but feel free to offer thanks," I told the Orc as I spotted the smiling visage as well as the spinning coin of Fortuna. I walked over to her gold inlaid Altar and placed a Gold Mark and offered my thanks before walking away deeper into the Parthenon.

<<<>>>

Notice: Fortuna has smiled upon your acknowledgment of her assistance and giving thanks for her efforts. Remember, fortune favors the bold. 

Divine Buff Fortuna's Smile: +10% Critical Hit Chance,+5% Chance Secret Quests will be discovered. (Duration 1 Month)

Note* Divine Buffs and Curses cannot be stripped from you by normal means. They can only be removed by seeking the assistance of a Priest of the Deity that placed the Buff or Curse upon you.

<<<>>>

I missed a step and nearly stumbled into a Priest who chuckled. "I assume the Mistress placed a Blessing upon you?" the man asked and I nodded my head as I blushed, causing the man to smile and pat my back as I left the little room and continued towards Hades Altar.

"Master!" Dura hissed gesturing to Morrigan's Altar and I sighed as I fished out yet another golden coin. While I wasn't destitute any more, my money wasn't limitless and if I thanked every god or goddess that could have assisted in my battles, I would be broke again.

I placed the gold coin on the Altar as I studied the spear and raven, "Mistress of battles, I suspect the path I am will lead me to cross your path more than once throughout my journey. Please provide some insight so I do not get my companions killed and guidance so I can complete my objectives." I silently whispered before turning away to see a woman standing there studying me.

"Most would ask for victory or that their blows will kill their enemies, you ask to be smart enough to save your companions while also the wisdom to win your battles...You are an odd one Elder. My mistress will know the words you stated this day, I have no idea how she will react though." with a blink the robed figure disappeared.

<<<>>>

Notice: You have gained the attention of Macha, Aspect of Strategy in Battle and War, who serves the Goddess Morrigan.

Note* Aspects are parts of a particular God or Goddess and derive their powers, Skills, and Abilities from their chief Patron.

<<<>>>

I dismissed the information and frowned at Dura who blushed and looked away from my glare. "I am going to Hades Altar next. I will not stop at any other along the way." I told my three companions earning a chuckle from Chessala as I strode away from Morrigan's Altar hoping I wouldn't gain any more attention from any god, goddess, their Aspects, associates, or anything else!

"What's wrong Damocles?" Anna asked, curious about my reaction as I stomped away.

I stopped and considered my reaction and sighed, "I don't know, I just...I didn't expect a response from either one and I got a Buff from Fortuna and the attention of an Aspect of the Goddess of Battle and Tactics. I don't want any of this Anna. Whatever I was before, I want to live my life the way I want, not gallivanting around the Demon Lands because everything is about to fall apart if I don't." I told her as I continued to walk towards the Altar of Hades.

Hades Altar was crafted from what looked like black stone, inlaid with silver, gold, and jewels, and other precious metals of the earth. Several symbols were engraved upon the stone, a three-headed dog, a boat, a two-pronged spear were the most dominant ones. I placed a gold coin upon the Altar, "Hades, Lord of the Underworld, I am Damocles and I am certain you are busy with many things but one day can you please enlighten me as to why I am different from other Twice Cursed?" I conveyed my question before stepping away.

Turning around revealed my surroundings completely changed. I was in a large hall, braziers lit the room and two thrones were in front of me. A large man, easily seven feet tall sat on one of the seats, the other was occupied by a beautiful woman, both were studying me. "As much as I would like to answer you, I cannot answer your question because I do not know the answer. The magic that brings Adventurers, High Born, and Twice Cursed Adventurers to this world are all the same, but each bare different marking allowing them to enter the various Planes when they come here. You were marked for the Demon Lands, but for some reason, you were not to be punished despite being placed there. It was an oddity but one I have to abide by." the man I assumed was Hades responded.

I frowned looking away as the woman smiled, "I like him husband, he might be a Demon but he is full of more than just anger and lust." she stated as Hades patted her hand calming her.

"Very well, can you at least confirm if four of the Seals on the prison of the Netherworld have been broken like I was told?" I asked Hades who lurched out of his chair as he was suddenly decked in heavy armor, the two-pronged spear in his hands glowing with a dark light.

"Yes, the Forsaken have managed to break four of the Seals, which ones I do not know. As part of the agreement we made with Michael and Lilith, the gods were forbidden from having any control of them. Know this, the situation is worse than you believe, two of the Seals are anchored to specific beings and cannot be destroyed without first killing their owners. One is anchored to Lilith and the other is anchored to Michael, if they die not only will it likely result in Netherworld opening, but it will also cause a war between the High Heavens and the Demons of the Demon Grounds." Hades warned me adding yet another worry I had to think about.

"Who knows about that?" I asked Hades and he frowned.

"All the gods, goddesses, that were present and of course Lilith and Michael. The Fallen do not know about it, but we are concerned that Lolth has allied herself with the Fallen, and if she has she would have shared that information with them." Hades warned me.

I staggered back and bumped into someone. Looking over my shoulder I found Spot looming behind me, I hastily patted the large Cerberus on the shoulder, "So if Lilith has disappeared, she very well might be dead. Not just being held by someone for information on the Seals and how to break them. If so, it would result in an all-out war between us and High Heavens...Awesome." I replied as Hades smiled at me as he relaxed as the woman touched his shoulder.

The armor and weapon disappeared in a flash as he sat back down on the throne. "Yes well, we do what we can with what the Fates give us. I am sorry I cannot offer anything else, Damocles, continue on your path and good luck, you will need it." Hades stated and before I could disappear the woman put a comforting hand on his shoulder again.

"You will not send away a guest without offering him a boon that will help him on his travels husband." the woman chastised him.

"My apologies, Persephone is my wife and my Aspect of Mercy. She also keeps my head level when I am not thinking of everything...The question is how do I do that without tipping the balance to far and allowing anyone else to manipulate events to their advantage." Hades commented absently.

Persephone smiled and patted his shoulder and whispered in his ear causing Hades to smile and nod. "Yes, a small thing can tip the balance and it won't be enough to anger anyone or allow the Fallen to manipulate events more.' he stated as he pulled something from what I assumed was his inventory and threw it at me and I caught it reflexively. 'That trinket will help you and shore up some of your weaknesses Damocles." the god stated as I pulled up the ring's information. 

<<<>>>

Armor Name: Shard of the Dark
Armor Type: Jewelry; Silver, Black Diamond, Ring
Class: Legendary
Base Defense: N/A
Primary Effects...
--- +10 to all Attributes (Except Luck)
--- +1 Luck
--- +25% Critical Hit Damage
--- +10% Resistance to Light Damage
--- +5% Magical Item Drop Chance

'There is no Light, Darkness cannot consume.'

<<<>>>

I looked at the god and bowed, "Thank you Lord Hades for this gift. Lady Persephone, thank you for your thoughtfulness. Spot, once again, thank you for your assistance, I am certain the Fallen would have killed most if not all my party without your assistance." I told the Cerberus causing him to bump into my shoulder.

'I will keep an eye on you and if I can, will assist in your endeavors to locate Lilith and combat the Fallen and Forsaken. Good luck cousin.' Spot responded before disappearing into some nearby shadows.

"Be wary Damocles, the path you are on is fraught with danger and I do not wish to see you too soon again," Persephone stated and Hades nodded his head in agreement before muttering a word and suddenly the world lurched around me and I was suddenly back in the Parthenon again. 

All three women were eyeing me. "Yeah, it got worse..." I told them as I began to relay what Hades had told me. 

1