52. Comforting Talk
279 0 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Wei Lu sipped the tea again. He put down the cup and sighed. “You’re already 14 years old. I’m sure that your father will try to arrange engagement for you soon. Even though there’s no certainty, it will happen sooner or later.”

Most young ladies were engaged when they were 14 or 15 years old. There were some who were even earlier, but it was rare because many usually waited until the time was close. They wanted to make use of their daughters to strengthen their position in the court by arranging them to be with some of their old friends.

“I know, Uncle.”

“Is there any young men whom you fancied.”

Wei Liuying’s brain short circuited for a moment when she heard what her uncle said. A rare astonished look flashed within her eyes for a split second. “Uncle?”

“I can try to introduce them to your father.” Wei Lu smiled playfully. “Even though there’s no certainty, I can influence his decision a bit with some little tricks that I can pull from the back.”

At this point, Wei Liuying didn’t know whether to cry or laugh. She faintly shook her head. “My marriage will be something that my father decides for me. I’m sure that even if there’s any man that I fancy, it’ll not enter his eyes.”

Wei Lu arched his eyebrows. “What kind of man do you want?”

“Someone ordinary.”

Wei Lu: “…”

The word ordinary was something that was thrown out of their dictionary when someone was searching for his daughter’s marriage partner. There was no way that one would want to have an ordinary and unremarkable son in law.

“Xiao Ling…. Can’t you give me another description.”

Wei Liuying was amused when she saw her uncle’s troubled look. She sighed. “I don’t have much criteria. As long as he respects me and not someone over twice my age, I wouldn’t mind that much.”

Twice her age?

Thinking about the old officials who were still taking concubines even though they were already over forty years old, Wei Lu sighed. There was some possibilities that Wei Hong would pick them to be his daughter’s husband if he was too desperate.

“How about the imperial family?”

Crack.

Wei Liuying stepped on the branch in front of her. Her eyes were looking at her uncle with menacing glare. “I don’t want to enter the palace, Uncle.”

There were too many hidden dangers within the palace. She was afraid that she wouldn’t be able to stand facing all those hidden dangers that lurked everywhere and got herself killed. That would be too tragic.

Wei Lu coughed. “Well, the princes are 18 to 22 years old, so they’re not that far from your age. Even as a concubine, it wouldn’t be so bad.”

Wei Liuying shook her head. Even if she knew that an ending as a concubine existed, she didn’t want to be the one to jump into that pit. There was no telling whether the main wife would be trying to harm her or not because she might take the husband’s attention. Even if she didn’t attract any attention, she would just end up ignored in the residence.

Ignored…

It was a feeling that she had already experienced so many times in her own residence. She didn’t want to repeat it again for the rest of her life.

“I don’t want to be a concubine, Uncle.” For the first time, Wei Liuying told her uncle about her real goal.

Wei Lu raised his head and looked at his niece’s eyes. It was filled with determination and solemnness. He understood that she was serious. “Do you think that your father will agree with it?”

“I’ll try.”

Try.

Meaning that she had another plan in case she failed. However, Wei Lu had a bad feeling when he saw her gaze. It was as if she was even willing to bet with her entire life for the life that she wanted.

“Don’t act rashly.”

“A calm rabbit will not do anything bad, but when provoked, it’s still possible for it to fight back,” Wei Liuying replied.

Wei Lu opened his mouth then closed it again. There was still time for her before it was determined, so he knew that Wei Liuying wouldn’t do anything rash. Unless there was no other option, she would bid her time.

“You…”

*rustle*

Wei Liuying noticed that her father had returned. It seemed that the two of them still have some discussion. She cupped her hand. “I’ll be leaving now, Uncle.”

“Go.”

Wei Lu watched as Wei Liuying’s back disappeared in the distance. If only there was something that he could do for her, he would do it. Unfortunately, he didn’t have good relationship with his brother, so it was impossible for him to interfere with her marriage.

He could only arrange some of his good friends who have suitable son to try getting close to Wei Hong.

As for the rest, he could only hope.

“You’re still here, Wei Lu.”

“Our talk is not ended yet, right? Have you calmed down?”

Wei Hong snorted and sat down. He looked at his brother with menacing gaze. It was as if he was intending to kill his own brother.

While the two of them were chatting, Wei Liuying returned back to her room. She had just finished changing her clothes when the door was pushed open. A servant walked in with a haughty expression. Wei Liuying recognized her as Wei Zilin’s servant.

“Don’t you know any manner?” Wei Liuying asked in low tone.

The servant was startled to see Wei Liuying on her bed. Even though the light in the room was dim, she could still see that the Third Miss was lying down on her bed.

“This… this servant is here to deliver herbs from Second Miss.”

“Give them to Xiao Yu.”

“Y..yes!”

Wei Liuying looked at Xiao Yu, who was standing behind the servant with her head lowered. It looked as if she had failed to prevent the servant from getting in, so she felt guilty.

“You can get out.”

“Yes, Third Miss.”

Taking out her book, Wei Liuying continued to read. She didn’t want to bother with those unruly servants again. Her second sister seemed to love checking her out. It would be harder for her to get out in the future if this continues.

6