Chapter 15
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hiring mercenaries would be the most expensive. They would follow your orders alone and you won't have to make any other concessions other than monetary ones. Getting them to work here also means we could get them to spend money within the Barony. Mercenaries are not known to keep savings." Locke explained as he struck down one line on the chalkboard, checking to see if Trive was keeping up.

"The second option is to seek the blessings of the Sun Temple. They would send their Templars to protect the Barony, however the cost would be that all the members of the Barony would have to become devout converts of the Sun God. The temple would bargain for rights to openly proselytise, and ask for restrictions on alcohol and other professions the Barony usually turns a blind eye to." Locke continued making another strike on the blackboard.

Trive seemed to be seriously considering the pros and cons. 

"What about the third option?" Trive asked.

"The third option, is what I personally suggest you should work hardest on. However, it depends on your diplomatic abilities." Locke said, pausing for his words to hit before continuing. "Viscount Bilary, our Liege, will be holding a grand celebration for his son, August Bilary who just became a Grand Knight. All the five Barons under the Viscount have been invited. Since Baron Mith has left for the Capital, you would be the next in line to visit." 

"Okay. How does this celebration relate to our Barony's security?" Trive asked.

"August Bilary is a man who thrives on flattery." Locke spoke slowly as he opened a scroll and handed it to Trive. The scroll contained detailed information about August Bilary's personality traits.

"If you befriend him and invite him on a visit to the Barony, he might not be unwilling to oblige. Entice him with the prospects of being a hero who saved a vulnerable part of his territory and the prospects of bounty hunting for the escaped convicts." Locke said.

"Oh, it seems like he has fine taste for alcohol." Trive said as he read through the scroll. "I will handle this matter. This third option is truly the best one."

Locke nodded. "There's more troubling news. Among the escaped convicts are the three brothers of that girl." Inwardly, his mind drifted to Ghost who was quietly observing everything as a bracelet. "Those three brothers have a blood feud with you."

Trive suddenly felt his body shiver. He had not yet put two and two together. He had heard of the terrifying combat capabilities of those three brothers and their desire to kill himself. He needed the help of Viscount Bilary's son as quickly as possible.

"Locke, I need you to prepare a carriage for me to head to the Viscount's Estate. You can handle all the problems in the Barony for now. I need to befriend August Bilary as quickly as possible." Trive authoritatively spoke.

Locke bowed. "As you say, elder brother." 

A few hours later, the best horses had been prepared, a summary of gifts had been collected and Trive had dressed up in his best tailored outfit. 

"You did a good job preparing all this Locke." Trive nodded. Locke didn't care for facile compliments, instead he brought forward a servant.

The servant was a young woman, barely above eighteen. Trive wasn't unfamiliar with her. She was a frequently seen servant in the Mansion.

"This woman is Lorina. As a servant, she is quite good at gossip and befriending other servants. She will be handy for you to gain information in the Viscount's Manor. She is also trained in seduction. If you are unable to placate August Bilary, you can use her as a last resort." Locke explained carefully.

"Was she trained on father's orders?" Trive asked in surprise, to which Locke nodded. Trive,followed by the servant entered the carriage with all the gifts and the carriage slowly left the Baron's Mansion.

Locke glanced at the training ground. Barely fifteen guards remained. Their morale was terrible and they seemed to be in an altered mental state. This period would be one of the more dangerous periods in the Barony, especially with the escaped prisoners.

Locke returned to his study and looked at the list of escaped prisoners. He quickly crossed out those from Herish Village's revolt and began studying the information about the remaining. He crossed out those who were caught for violent crimes. To his surprise, there weren't all that many of them.

The majority of prisoners seemed to have been those who didn't pay their taxes on time, several were thieves while some had insulted the Barony at one point or another.

After a while, Locke quickly brought some of the remaining guards and rushed out. In the town, he visited the houses of some families, who were shocked and scared to see him.

"Don't be afraid, I mean no harm. Did your husband return after escaping from the prison?" Locke asked. When he saw the women pale he understood that the men were still in the Barony, but in hiding.

"Tell them, that the Barony is willing to forgive their crimes and allow them to live legally, if they come visit me at the mansion. I guarantee it." Locke said.

While people still feared his status as a bastard son, Locke was one of the most popular people in the family among commoners because of his humble behavior and frequent interactions, especially in the town.

Thus Locke made his way to all the five villages, meeting specific families and informing them about his offer before returning to town. Locke had no time to rest. While traveling, he would spend his time teaching Ghost. Ghost was very inquisitive and always had questions on her mind.

Back in town, Locke didn't return to the mansion. Instead, he headed for the only Sun Temple in town. The temple was a small one, built in the shape of a spire about two stories tall.

After requesting entry, Locke entered what clearly was an area designated for sermons. This wasn't the first time Locke was here. Every year, during the harvest festival, the Baron's family would visit the temple. It was a Noble's obligation, mandated by the King.

1