Chapter 21
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

In the next week, work was hectic. The construction of Herish Village was nearing completion. Locke had long requested permission to expand Herish Village's boundaries.

At the same time, the bricked road from Herish Village to Mith Town had been completed. The speed of wagons and carriages had dramatically increased. Trive had given Locke carte blanche to expand the construction activities.

As such, Herish Village continued to expand radially, and The Dream Trading Company was also developing the paved roads for the Barony at a cost. The opening of the second half of Herish Village had been even more spectacularly than the first half.

The demand for rentals inside the village were expanding daily. Mith Barony was quickly outstripping the other Baronies in the Viscounty in terms of businesses. People were thronging into the Barony.

With the expansion and profits, Locke was intending to reinvest them immediately with new reforms. However he did not hurry the matter. The reason was that he wanted to wait and see how Cassi's arrival played out.

Today, a Carriage arrived at the Mith Mansion from the capital. The carriage was quite luxurious. Out of the carriage a young lade with a small oval face but a confident look stepped out, followed by a middle aged man. The man was wearing a white robe of a mage. Only Locke had come out to greet the two.

"Lady Cassi, Honorable Mage. It is my pleasure to be graced by your arrival." Locke eloquently replied.

Cassi nodded. "You don't need to be so formal with me Locke. This is my healing magic teacher, Mage Beluriel."

The mage nodded at the boy. "So you are the little girl's administrator half brother? Good, good. I observed the activities in the Barony. Your talent in administration is certainly among the best I've ever seen."

Cassi was surprised by her teacher's praise. He wasn't one to give out praise so easily. She too had seen the changes and was quite overwhelmed by them. After the tragedy under her father, she didn't believe Trive could possibly be the cause of this.

"I do not deserve such effusive praise, Lord Mage. I can only say that desperate circumstances required a desperate gamble. I am happy to see it pay off." Locke replied.

"Where is Trive?" Cassi asked.

"Master Trive has gone hunting with Master August Bilary and the other Barons of the Viscounty on a visit." Locke replied.

He then led the two to their chambers to rest. After leading Cassi to her room, Locke was leading the Mage to the guest room when the mage halted.

"You area very interesting fellow, Locke." The Mage Beluriel said.

"I beg your pardon?" Locke asked.

"Enter the room, I'll explain." Beluriel was calm and immoveable like a mountain.

"How much do you know about magic?" He asked Locke who had a bitter expression on his face.

"My magic talent is minimal at best. As a result I haven't had much exposure to the subject beyond books I could get my hands on in public." Locke replied.

"Indeed, you are lacking in talent. I can even see that your talent is lacking for no fault of your own but the maliciousness of others." Beluriel commented, causing Locke to be surprised.

"Haha, I am not bad for a mage and I specialise in healing magic, a branch of light magic. So it isn't surprising for me to figure such things out." Beluriel laughed.

Locke nodded.

"Since you don't have much knowledge about magic, I wouldn't blame you for not knowing. But I can sense a terrible curse targetted towards you. A swirling mana of death!" Beluriel said.

Locke sighed. He realized immediately that Beluriel was talking about Ghost. So she was some form of curse?

"However, it is most peculiar. This level of curse cannot be performed by even the strongest Archmage! It is a curse, but it isn't harming you, yet. I can only think of one thing that can create such a powerful magic!" Beluriel sighed. He was half talking to himself and his face was in awe.

"And that is?" Locke asked.

"A dragon!" Beluriel replied. "Only a dragon can use such a powerful magic that overturns the laws of the world!"

Locke was stunned. Dragons really exist then. "But, why would a dragon curse me?"

Beluriel shook his head sadly. "Only a dragon could possibly understand another dragon. Perhaps they were having fun, perhaps they had their own motive. What I can say for certain is those who end up in the eye of a Dragon are never ordinary!"

Locke didn't know how to reply. 'If I am not ordinary, I'd like for my own actions to determine that. Not some magical creature's whim.' He thought. However, he eventually did come up with a question.

"Is this curse a good thing or a bad thing?" Locke asked.

"I don't know." Beluriel answered. "Only time will tell. This curse is not something anyone in the Sun Kingdom can resolve. Perhaps, you might have to find another dragon to relieve it."

Locke stifled his urge to laugh. Where could he possibly find a dragon? But then again, a dragon somehow found him without his knowing?

"Give me your hand." Beluriel said.

Locke obeyed, though he was afraid the mage might discover the bracelet on his wrist was actually the curse he referred to.

"How interesting!" He suddenly said with his eyes raised.

"What do you mean Mage Beluriel?" Locke asked.

"You've not just been cursed. You've actually been poisoned. At birth. My word, how can such a poison exist?" Beluriel looked terrified right now. Even the curse on his body had only interested him.

Locke was finding it difficult to maintain a poker face, but the mage quickly began to perform a terrifying array of spells within the span of seconds before resting.

"Soul Poison! It is actually such a terrifying Soul Poison!" Beluriel almost sprang up in fear. However, he soon collected himself before looking at Locke pitifully.

"You don't have much time left kid." Beluriel said.

1