Chapter 25
27 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Locke was planning to collectivize the land. Instead of a feudal structure where villagers could toil and live on a part of the land, all the land would be pooled together and planted in a planned fashion.

Locke paid a visit to Herish Village, which was now being called Herish Town, and directly entered the new Sun Temple. Father Molard soon came down to meet the new Baron.

"The change was rather abrupt, but indeed suitable." Molard said refering to Locke becoming the new Baron.

Locke smiled perfunctorily. "I believe, the Sun Temple has a means to improve the productivity of the land?" Locke asked.

"We indeed do have such means. I have heard from my followers about your large land usage rule changes. Is it to improve the productivity?" Molard asked.

Locke nodded. "With increasing influx of people, agricultural demand may soon fail to keep up and the Barony will have to import grain. If you do have these methods, it would be very useful for the Barony."

Molard nodded. "I understand. However, such favors require a price. Making it effective would indeed require a very large plot of land." Father Molard asked his servant to bring something from upstairs. He soon arrived with a small bottle containing a golden liquid. "This is purified solar essence created using the Temple's secrets. It doubles the productivity of the land. Just one drop is enough to cover a land of an acre. The temple is willing to exchange this for ten gold."

"Ten gold." Locke muttered while quickly calculating if it was profitable to use this method to boost productivity. He quickly realised why it was feasible only on large plots of land. After judging, he realized it was worth the price, especially considering the effect of Hesef compounding the productivity even further. "That will do." Locke said as he purchased the liquid.

On the way back, Locke inspected the construction work in Herish Town as well as the roads. Once he returned to Mith town, he implemented the new farming laws.

The changes were sweeping. Feudal practices were abolished. All the farms would be collectivize and run under a single organization that had been formed. Several clerks had been hired to organize the division of labor. Farmers would receive a fixed salary and be charged rent for the houses they lived in. Locke tried to make the agricultural enterprise as corporate of a structure as possible. The talented farmers were put in higher command positions where they could employ effective productivity strategies. Hesef was also made a chief and his mission was to boost the productivity of all farms. 

A month more passed by. Locke could feel Beluriel's threat about the poison consuming him in two years still hanging over his head. But as the sole remaining member of the Mith, he was alone left to deal with the situation in the Barony. The only difference was, Ghost could now be in human form all the time. However, she covered her face with a mask so that no stray person could identify her. She was soon assumed to be Locke's personal servant.

Infact, she was more like a bodyguard. Locke soon discovered that Ghost an incredible combat abilities. Her transformation magic was extremely suitable to close combat battles. Locke never lost an opportunity to teach her anything and with her rapid growth she had begun to be able to think for herself.

Herish Village had turned into a completely fortified town. Roads were being laid to all other connecting villages and towns. The other towns in the Barony were rapidly being industrialized as well. The agricultural reforms had gone well, but the effects would take a few months to reveal themselves. Meanwhile, the development of Mith Town and the other five villages was causing an influx of people.

Locke had contacted the Mercenary Guilds, Merchant Guilds and various other societies and had managed to convince them to set up shop in the Mith Barony. In a few months, Mith Barony looked nothing like the Mith of the past. As Mith grew, so did the Dream Trading Company. The company had become extremely rich and powerful.

The role of the DTC in turning Mith Barony into a prosperous place was not something that other Barons and even the Viscount ignored. Several of the Baron's and Viscount's had formed contracts with the DTC to create paved roads to Herish Town. The tax haven town was now a huge center of trade in the enter County and rivalling large cities in the Marquisate.

---

Right now, Locke was riding a horse deep into the Merunia woods. He wasn't alone. Sitting behind him on his white horse was an innocent looking girl wearing the outfit of a maid. However, she was more powerful than a knight.

'Looks like this should be the place.' Locke thought.

He turned to Ghost and spoke. "Let's stop here. It is a good picnic stop."

Ghost orderly took her picnic bag and laid out a cloth on the grass before setting down lunch Locke. She didn't have food after all.

Locke had tried feeding her food before, but she would only vomit it out. Instead, Locke had discovered a peculiar item she would actually have. Gemstones. She would crunch on them like they were chips, if she found them in the wild.

Ghost took out a red gemstone she had found during her escapades and began to crunch on it as she quietly observed Locke eating.

"It is quite a nice environment." Locke commented. In contrast to the noisy industrial towns he had turned the villages of the Barony into, he much prefered the quietude of nature.

At that moment, a beautiful woman suddenly appeared from behind a tree. Her hair was dark green, but her skin was like a normal human. However, there were several flowers attached to her hair. Every step she took caused flowers to grow instantaneously in place of her footsteps.

It was the Dryad.

1