Chapter 30
24 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"The next one is Duke Methis. The nature of his Legacy is not quite clear. The Duke is very circumspect about using the ability and it was only spotted twice, when attempts on his son's life were made. It was observed that the Duke would split into two, and one of them would shield his son from an attack. This 'copy' of the Duke would then disintegrate and the real Duke would receive mild I juries in the process." Girald explained.

"Oh? A life saving skills. Legacies are not as simple." He verbalized, but mentally he was equating Duke Methis' ability to the Pokemon ability substitute.

"Finally, is Duke Breave. His ability is quite clear, though, it was only seen once. When Duke Breeve screams, it will paralyze all those who hear it for a few seconds." Girald finished.

"A good skill for war. No wonder he is considered the greatest Marshal in the country." Locke commented. "Oh, it seems the only Duke who doesn't have a Legacy is my higher Liege?"

"Indeed. Duke Lum has no Legacy, moreover he isn't interested in one. He is known to openly look down on legacies." Girald said.

'He is the Archmage after all.' Locke thought as he recollected the Duke's profile. The most powerful mage in the Kingdom, a man who seldom partakes in the affairs of the country and obsessively neutral in all matters. Duke Lum is always busy with his experiments.

"The Royal Family has no Legacies?" Lock found that hard to believe. 

Girald nodded. "The mess in the Mid-West was partially a result of that reason. For some reason, the royal family has never managed to find details about Legacies."

"Huh. That's quite a bizarre coincidence. Anyway, what else have you found out?" Locke asked.

"These Legacies are extremely rare to come across. However, almost all known legacies seem to have come out of famous haunted places." Girald said.

"Haunted places?" Locke chuckled.

"Yes. Places where people would hear whispers or wails in the night, sudden natural disasters, or any scary incidents." Girald said. "I have also collected details about such places around the country that are relatively famous."

"If it were so simple, wouldn't everyone have a Legacy of their own?" Locke laughed. "Oh, there's actually a haunted place in the Barony?"

"Yes, My lord. In Burness Village, people often report seeing a green light glowing on the nearest mountain at night. Some see it, some don't. Whenever they went to search for it, they don't end up finding anything." Girald said sadly.

"Did you go as well?" Locke asked causing Girald to choke.

"Yes, my lord. I couldn't find anything." Girald said with embarrassment.

"What about the other matter?" Locke asked the old man.

"That...I failed to find anything." Girald bowed in apology.

"Nevermind, you can leave." Locke said as he turned to pore over all the documents in detail. 

---

A few days later, while Locke was in his study, he received a formal letter. From the Duke Lum his heigher Liege and the Kingdom's strongest mage.

"The Duke's calling for a celebration at this time? Looks like he is calling in a meeting of his subjects." Locke pondered as he went over the letter. The text was filled with platitudes, followed by an invitation to the coming of age of the Duke's daughter, Selestia.

The plans for the development for the Barony had already been set in motion. He wasn't too worried about an absence of a week causing any major disturbance, but he was still wary of Baron Katich. The isolated idiot had become increasingly jealous of Locke's success.

However, he too would have to pay attention to this call. So Locke was relatively relaxed. Since the Viscount didn't get back to him, Locke guessed he was still figuring out the matter. It would also be an opportunity for Locke to observe all the known Legacies in action and observe the political maneuvering.

The celebration was being held in Lum City, the capital of the Duchy and the city known as the refuge of mages in the Sun Kingdom.

Before Locke left however, he and Ghost were going to make a trip to a particular hill.

---

That evening, the Baron and his servant who followed him around like a shadow, calmly entered Burness Village. Like all other villages in the Barony, it was under hectic renovation. The development was in full swing.

When people saw the Baron, a lot of them began to gather and thank him for his rule. Locke smiled and accepted their thanks. Many wanted to give him food and gifts, which Locke tactfully refused.

He made his way to the house of the Village elder, where he discussed about how the development of the village was going about. The elder was very happy to see the Baron take interest at such a local level, something he had never seen happen in his long life.

Slowly, Locke brought out the matter about the green light. The old man explained the story that people believed it was some old soul of the mountain that was crying for its loved one. 

"That green light was a most mysterious thing. Some people could swear seeing it, yet others standing right beside them swore they saw nothing at all!" The old man said.

"Was?" Locke immediately seized on the most crucial word in the discussion.

The elder nodded. "Several months ago, the mysterious thing disappeared for good. If I am not wrong, it was when those three brothers had run up the hill to look into it."

"Three brothers?" Locke was barely able to keep the shock hidden in his voice. He soon remembered the incredible feat in battle of the three brothers at the battle of Herish Village, their incredible capabilities in slaughtering all the guards in the dungeon. His recent tabs on their activities had also revealed that all three had already become knights. "Could it be the three brothers from Herish Village?"

"Yes." The old man nodded. "The Baron is truly a man of the masses. He even knows his subjects so well." The old man flattered.

1