Chapter 34
49 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Open it then!" The woman said and threw the object towards Locke, who promptly caught it. He quickly began fiddling with the object, turn here, a shuffle there, a change of orientation here. The algorithm was relatively simple, but someone who wasn't aware of it might spent forever without having a clue how to proceed.

Two minutes later, the multicolored edges of the cube had turned into uniformed palettes on each end. On completion, the object suddenly crumbled and broke apart, revealing a black crystal. It was identical to the one Locke had obtained in the Barony earlier.

"So that is how it was." The woman seemed to have tears in her eyes. 

"Was solving this Rubic's Cube, really what kept you haunting this village for so long?" Locke asked.

"How could a fool like you know the significance of it...anyway, a deal is a deal. You can have my legacy, the ability to lock and unlock anything." The woman spoke.

A shining golden liquid emerged out of her ethereal body and began to enter Locke's. The feeling was a very bizarre one. It felt like something was filling the emptiness within his body.

"Um. You have potential. Don't sully my name!" The woman said as she began to disappear.

"Wait, old hag. Tell me what this crystal is before you disappear!" Locke couldn't care less about her self reflection.

"That..." The woman was rapidly fading away and her voice was disappearing along with. She pointed towards a room in the house before disappearing.

"Uh. She disappeared so quickly unlike the chattering trio." He muttered to Ghost who had just been watching the situation unfold with curiosity.

"What's a Rubic's Cube?" Was the first question on her mind.

"The puzzle I solved for the woman." Locke replied before walking towards the door that the woman had pointed towards.

When he tried to open it, he realized it was fastened and locked tightly. He then remembered what the woman said her legacy was. He mentally felt for the bizarre goldy thing within him and willed for the door to unlock.

Click!

The door opened without any obstructions. The room inside was extremely simple and almost empty.

Almost.

In the center of the room was a small sack made of a red velvet cloth. It looked like a typical sack used these days to exchange gold coins. However, when Locke picked it up, he was stunned. The small sack that could fit in his pocket could not be opened.

He used his ability again and the sack opened without any struggle. What he saw inside scared him. 

"This...! No wonder that hag was up to all these stupid tricks! Even in death she didn't want to part with her treasure." Locke laughed.

Inside the sack was a space as large as a room. In it were all kinds of things, from trinkets of gold to bizarre weapons to a shelf full of books and potions. Nothing inside the sack looked ordinary from the first glance.

"This woman..." Locke was sighing. "She must have been a terrifying thief. With this ability I'm not surprised!"

He put the two black crystals into the sack and locked the sack using the ability. Then, he checked and the sack couldn't be opened again unless he used his Legacy power. He burst into laughter again. This was a sack no one else could use except him.

The wind had died down and the village returned to normalcy. The howls had disappeared. Locke and Ghost exited the house and closed the door. He looked into the sky. The village was so isolated that Locke could clearly see the stars in the night sky.

He had figured out the peculiar behavior of the Legacy soul, the name he had decided to assign to these bizarre people who assigned legacies. The two met, both had bizarre personality quirks. The woman haunted people from beyond the village so that no one could take away her treasures.

---

The next morning, Locke got up with a yawn. He had fallen asleep on the doorsteps of the large house. Ghost had been patiently sitting beside him.

"Don't you feel sleepy?" Locke asked her. She shook her head. In her hand was a book Locke had taken out from the sack. It was a book teaching the basics of the magic language. The old hag seemed to have stolen the library of some mage.

After freshening up, they hired a villager to drive the carriage until the closest city. When they reached a city, the two got into an inn, where they could finally freshen up and change into a good pair of clothes. Locke had the carriage healed, while he activated his communication amulet.

The Viscount Bilary was quick to reply. 

"Baron Mith. Have you reached Lum City?" The Viscount asked in worry. "It's good to know that you are alright. I heard some ugly rumors..."

"Lord Bilary, you can rest assured that there is nothing of the sort. It would take me another day to reach Lum City." Locke replied.

The two talked about their affairs. The viscount was closer to the Duke's city and had already made his way there. So far, according to the Viscount the atmosphere was calm, but even he had finally heard about major issues in the Ghon Forest causing trouble to the Kingdom. The Viscount advised Locke on ettiquette and about the factions he should be mindful of at the celebration.

The rest of the journey was rather uneventful. Locke spent most his time cataloging the items inside his new spatial sack along the way, while Ghost spent her time studying.

The carriage soon reached Lum City. The city was circled by huge defensive walls. From the perimeter of the wall, Locke could estimate that the city was very large. The carriage was halted at the gate and well armored guards requested to inspect the insides of the carriage. 

Locke opened the door, letting the inspectors have a look. Ghost barely acknowledged them as she continued reading her book. The guards saw Locke's Baron Insignia, and saluted in respect, allowing the carriage to pass.

1