Chapter twenty-three
98 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The pub for the Broken Shield had closed its doors for the public. It did that so efficiently that those few regular customers that tried to visit it, found themselves unable to do so. They seemed to remember where the pub was, but somehow took a wrong turn somewhere along the way and ended up in a completely different street, again and again. It was odd and had it happened in any other city, it would have been something people talked about and paid attention to, but this was London. There was a new oddity every week, and no-one had the energy, let alone will, keeping track with all of them. 

Which worked just fine for the people hiding in the pub, because attention was the last thing they needed. It was already hard enough for a bunch of people (some of them moderately famous city-wise) to disappear overnight. They had bosses to convince, family members asking questions, friends and romantic partners left with a vague explanation. But they knew from the very beginning that the less the relatives and friends were involved, the safest they can be. 

And of course, there were some other issues, too, mostly personal ones. Benjamin didn't like to be closed up and became very grumpy about it. Vittorio, this huge man, was scared to death of Robert, so he tried to hide every time he saw the other man, rather unsuccessfully, given his size, and the fact that they all stuck in one small building. 

After The Priest cut through two battlewise police officers as easily as knife cuts through butter, it was obvious that the Met needed every help they could get, and that meant Robert, Jenna, Marcus and the others. Then Marcus realised very quickly that they are going to need more people if they want to protect Mr George. So they borrowed the bodyguard from Don Carano, who was keen to help, probably in hope of some good press once the situation is over. At least that was what Jenna told them, in a very sarcastic tone.

Then there was Martin, Benjamin's friend who was at Camden Town when it all started. He joined because he wanted to help, and also because he had an enormous crush on Rose. He quickly developed one on Jenna and Ayana too, not to mention Robert. When he wasn't trying to flirt with one of the women, he followed Robert like a very talkative shadow, asking his opinion about everything from the defensive system of the pub to movies he liked. Robert let him do that, and answered every one of his questions very patiently, mostly because he noted that Jenna wasn't quite as dismissive about the whole flirty behaviour as Robert would have liked it. Of course, he didn't actually blame any of them: Jenna was deadly beautiful like a real-life femme fatale, exciting, witty and very smart, while Martin was a handsome, tall, fit young man, respectful to women with the right amount of humour and way bigger arms than Robert's. Also, Robert decided right at the beginning not to follow up their kiss, at least not until this quarantine is over. He believed that it would make things even more complicated. Jenna might have had the same opinion because she didn't mention the night of the ghoul-fight at all. Or, and this thought didn't make Robert happier, maybe she just didn't care about what happened. 

When Luther, to everyone's shock, offered his help, he made very clear that there was nothing, nothing at all on this planet what was able to penetrate his defence. He didn't share any details, but Robert believed him nevertheless. The first evening they all spent together in the Shield, Jenna stated that she had a migraine because of the ancient magic worked around them, and went to sleep before it was even eight. 

'Why now? After God knows how many years, world wars and plagues and firestorms and rebellions, you decided that you will help us now. Why?' asked Robert from Luther. It was well after midnight and everybody went to sleep already, except for those who had the first watch: Robert, Teodore and Ayana. The latter was Marcus' friend, or as it turned out, colleague. She was a strict looking small Japanese woman, around 30, with glasses and a tight black ponytail. She didn't speak much, and every one of her movements was measured and forehanded. Now she sat in one corner, legs neatly crossed, long grey skirt fixed to the less revealing position possible. 

Ayana was an agent of MAGE. This international organisation had jurisdiction in almost every country in the world and was specialised in everything weird and/or magical. They only answered to the UN and had basically free hand to deal with anything they decided to be a threat. They were constantly one bad decision away from becoming a terror organisation, something they were called every other day, mostly by people they arrested red-handed. 

Its agents were the same type as the case they dealt with: unique, weird and somewhat menacing. The MAGE made sure that every one of its members had something very specific to offer besides being able to survive their very thorough combat training. In Ayana's case, it was her huge amount of experience with demons and spirits. 

Marcus, on the other hand, was selected because of who he was: a relative to the Commissioner of London and best friend of Robert Montgomery, who had a prominent place on the list the MAGE kept about potentially dangerous individuals. 

Robert wasn't surprised when he learned what Marcus was doing for a living: as he told Jenna already, he suspected that or something very similar for a long time now.  

As Robert was waiting for Luther's answer, he saw that Teodore lowered his book and was listening too. Ayana didn't take her eyes off the door and showed no sign of being aware of the conversation.  

'You know the law of my people, young Montgomery: I cannot interfere in your life,' he said, cleaning a glass with a white cloth. 'But… This Priest isn't a human being. Not anymore. Nobody should ever have power over death. Nobody. And the thing he wants to set free… That might be something even worse than him. We took away the Old Talk from you for a reason. You weren't ready for that kind of power and responsibility, and you still aren't.'

Robert felt like "took away" was kind of a euphemism for a brutal and merciless war in which the fae basically hunted down and killed so many sorcerers that the knowledge they once held about the language of magic simply died out during the following centuries. And what remained, were destroyed during the witch hunts, because after such purge, human beings had to prove that they can be as big of a monster as the fae. Maybe even bigger: legends were that fae never killed another fae, while humans apparently didn't have any problem doing so. But this was clearly not the time to discuss ancient wars, so Robert let the whole thing slide. 

'So you are helping us to protect the old gentleman, but that's where you are drawing the line. You won't teach us stronger magic and you won't deal with the Priest yourself, because that would be interfering. Am I correct?'

Luther shook his head and put down the glass, only to pick up another one.

'I cannot leave this place, ever.' 

'Why?' asked Teodore quietly.

'Because he is guarding something. Something his people left behind. Right?'

Luther gave him one of his rare smiles. It was almost threatening, especially with what he said next: 'You are very smart, young Montgomery. Maybe even too smart.'

Robert decided not to push that topic, but Luther had something to add: 'But if he breaches my defending spells, I will help you defeat him.'

Robert nodded. That was already a much better deal than anything anyone was able to get from the fae. He went and sat next to Teodore at the fireplace. The boy was reading some kind of medical book. 

'So, erm… How is the hospital? You just started your first year as a resident, right?'

Teodore looked up, right into Robert's eyes.

'We don't have to talk, Montgomery,' he said.

'Right. Of course,' Robert looked Ayana's direction, but the woman didn't move ever since she sat down. 'Let's just sit here in complete silence then. That will be fun.'

The days went by, and nothing happened. Robert spent most of his time in the bar, even when he wasn't on watch, reading or drawing. Mr George occasionally joined him, to have a talk or just a tea together. George Fitzwilliam was an elderly gentleman, 96 years old, but fit and strong. He was tall and thin, with a glorious white cloud of hair and long, always clean-shaven face. He didn't look much older than 70, and only used a cane when it was raining outside. He was a bit of a legend himself: he fought against Hitler's infamous warlocks back in World War II on several occasions and lived to tell the story, which was even more impressive considering that Mr George couldn't do magic at all. That never bothered him or stopped him to be amongst the firsts charging at Normandy. He was a pleasant man to be around, and he only ever complained about the situation when he mentioned that nobody will water his bonsai trees at home while he had to stay at the Shield. If he was terrified or even scared about the fact that an unstoppable psychotic sorcerer was hell-bent to kill him, he hid it very well.             

'You have got quite an eye for the details, my friend,' he said to Robert one evening. They were sitting at the fireplace, Robert in an armchair with a coffee, Mr George enjoying his evening brandy on the couch. 

'I'm but an amateur,' he answered, looking at his sketchbook with a critical stare. 

'Does that lovely young lady knows how fond of her you are?' 

Robert, of course, was drawing Jenna, who was sitting in a corner, legs up, earbuds in, listening to music with closed eyes.  

'I'm not… I'm not fond of her, Mr George. We are just friends. Acquaintances, really.'

Mr George finished his drink, let out a satisfied sigh and stood up.

'I see, I see. You are a moron, then,' he said smiling. 'Anyway, if you are sure about that, you might want to tell her, too, because judging by the way she is looking at you when you aren't paying attention, she thinks you two are more than "acquaintances". But that's none of my business, of course. Good night, my friend,' he said, and off he went, towards the stairs leading upstairs.

The upper level of the pub was a bit of an enigma, even for Robert. Somehow it was big enough for eleven rooms, all with its bathroom, even so, the level couldn't possibly be that big. Robert checked: the ground level was about 35 steps wide, and the same in length. And yet the corridor between the two rows of doors was almost three times longer, while from outside the two stories looked the same size. He asked Luther about this phenomenon, but the fae told him that it was beyond humans to understand. Robert still wanted to give it a shot, but Luther smiled at him with that slightly threatening smile of his, and he decided to drop it. 

'What are you smiling about?' asked Jenna. Robert didn't even notice that she got up and walked across the bar.

'Nothing, nothing,' answered Robert. Jenna sat down and poked-pushed Robert with her bottom until she had enough space, despite the plenty of other options around to sit. She wore a sleeveless top, while Robert rolled up the sleeves of his shirt, and their naked skin touched. Robert could smell her fruity shampoo and even the faint scent of whiskey in her breath.   

'The old guy is something else, eh?' she asked.

'Indeed,' nodded Robert. 'Very interesting gentleman.'

'Wanna listen to music?' she offered half of her earbuds. Robert took it and he could hear the last couple beats of the Wind of Change. He looked at Jenna and the woman shrugged.

'It's a good song,' she said.

'I thought we are not allowed to have our phones with us,' noted Robert. 

Jenna showed him her hand and the iPod in it. It was one of the old ones with the circle-shaped control panel, battered and full of scratches.

'I always break my phones, so I keep this on me, in an unbreakable little case,' she explained. 

'Smart,' nodded Robert.   

This was the first time they spent alone since the night Jenna slept at Robert's. It might have been quite romantic with the crackling fire and the music, not talking, just be with each other, if it wasn't for Luther washing dishes loudly at the tap behind the counter. The stroke of grace arrived half an hour later in Ayana's form, who sat down and started to stare at them silently. Robert removed his earbud.

'Can I help you, Miss Saito?' he asked as politely as he could.

'I doubt it, but appreciate the sentiment,' she answered and continued to stare at them. 

'Alright,' said Jenna a minute later, climbing out of the big armchair they shared. 'I guess it's time to sleep. My shift is over anyway,' and with that she left. 

Robert looked angrily at Ayana, who stared back with empty eyes as if she wasn't there. Robert sighed.

'What's up with the Chinese lady?' asked Benjamin a few minutes later. He and Robert went to one of the boxes to eat a late dinner, while Ayana was where Robert left her, motionless.

'She is Japanese. And I don't know, maybe she is doing some kind of astral projection thing. Or just figured out how to sleep with her eyes open.'    

'Is that possible? Astral projection?' Benjamin was in a better mood at the moment, probably because of the huge cheeseburger on his plate.

'On paper. I wouldn't try it, mind you: every random demon trap could catch you, not to mention the exact opposite, every random demon could occupy your empty body. Even the weakest ones. Plus it takes a huge amount of energy.'

'Demons in one's body are not the end,' said Ayana, who was apparently eavesdropping, even though she sat at the other end of the big room. 

'Care to explain?' asked Benjamin.

'No,' she replied, turning back her unwavering gaze to the thing she was looking at, whatever it was.

'Okay, that wasn't creepy at all…' shook his head Benjamin. Robert laughed.

They finished their meal, then Robert went to wash the dishes. 

'I wanted to ask…' he started casually, while rubbing his ketchup stained plate with a sponge 'is Martin serious about Jenna?'

'Why do you care?' asked back Benjamin with a suspicious look.

Robert shrugged.

'Just general curiosity. There is not much to do around here.'

He could tell that his brother wasn't completely satisfied with his answer.

'I'm not sure, actually,' Benjamin said nevertheless 'But even so, he is a goofball, I doubt that Carano would be interested. Don't really know her but I got the feeling that she likes older dudes.'

'Possibly,' nodded Robert. 'As far as I understand, that is mostly the case with young ladies.'

'And yet, you are all alone, bro. I heard things didn't work out with Rose, by the way. It's a shame, really. What was the problem?'   

Robert put the last piece of cutlery on the dryer tray and wiped his hands with a cloth.

'I'm not that old… There was no problem. We have had a couple of… Let's call them date, but we never actually connected. You know, emotionally. I think we both knew that it wouldn't work right at the beginning.'

'So… Is she a legit target now?'

Robert threw the wet cloth into Benjamin's face, who had to duck behind the counter to avoid it. 

'Do you think Marcus and Miss Creepy over there… You know.' asked Benjamin whispering sometimes later, in the middle of the night. Ayana put a chair right front of the door, and sat down with straight back, hands in her lap, still as a statue. The two of them took two big armchairs at the mantelpiece.

'If not, it wasn't because of the lack of trying from Marcus' part,' Robert answered quietly. 

'Yeah, dude's trying a lot. He even asked me out once.'

'Marcus is a very simple man,' explained Robert. 'If he sees something nice, he has to have it. It doesn't matter if that something is a man, a woman, a car or a suit. Then, of course, he will get bored in a couple of weeks, and everything starts all over again.'

Benjamin shook his head.

'I still can't believe that he is an agent of the MAGE, though. I mean, what kind of bloody idiot would hire him and give him responsibilities?'

Robert just realised that he wasn't the only one affected by Marcus' secret. 

'Apparently, it worked out just fine, at least so far,' pointed out Robert. 'He even managed to keep it secret, for years. That is pretty impressive if you think about it.'

Benjamin made a small, blue flame, and had it dancing on the top of his forefinger. He often used magic when he was bored, which was something every young sorcerer was told not to do at the very first magic class in high school. Reckless usage of magic could lead to serious issues, even brain injuries, if someone was stupid enough to overdo it. Of course, "over" meant something different to everyone. 

'To be honest, I'm kinda mad about that,' he said. 'It was pretty shitty from a friend, spying and everything.'

'It wasn't exactly nice, I agree with that,' nodded Robert. 'But I'm sure that Marcus had the best intentions in mind. He was doing what he thought to be right.'

Benjamin extinguished the little blue fire and looked at his brother.

'Don't tell me it's not bothering you, bro. Last time your favourite Duel fighter lost a game you were bitching about it for days. No way you let Marcus' shit go so easily.'

'I was angry, I admit it,' said Robert. 'But then I realised, with everything that going on now, being angry at my best friend is just a luxury I cannot afford.'

Benjamin looked at Robert surprised.

'That is very mature, even from you, bro.'

'And I also turned all of his cars yellow with pink polka dots,' added Robert. 'Took me half an hour to figure out how to do it from a big distance but worth it.' 

'There you go,' laughed Benjamin. 'See? I bet that helped to forgive him.'

'Can't wait to see his face,' admitted Robert with a childish smile. 'Oh, and by the way, I'm done with O'Brien. I'm a Claire Penn supporter now. She is brilliant.'

'Nah, bro, she is too hot-headed. She will never win in any big tournament with that temper, I'm telling ya.'

'And that's where you are wrong, brother. She is only acting like that, so her opponents will underestimate her. A blind man could see that…'

They were arguing for a while about that, then made a bet of hundred pounds about whether Penn will be in the finals of the upcoming championship. After that Robert made some sandwiches and coffee for them in Luther's kitchen (he offered a sandwich to Ayana too, but she said she had  eaten that week already, and Robert didn't know what to say for that). 

Despite the circumstances, it was one of the nicest siblings bonding-type of night Robert and Benjamin had in a long time.

4