The Goddess and The Girl (1)
363 2 11
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There once was a goddess who created the world. From the barren planet to the sun from which it orbits, she created it all. She created such monumental things, yet she felt empty inside. 

So she continued to create. 

She added rivers and oceans, the beginning of her new task. She added plants so that they may grow and spread across the planet. Some small, some large, but all unique in their own way. 

But the void never left. 

She created animals to make the otherwise static planet more dynamic. 

It solved nothing. 

She created humans from her image, hoping that by watching them she will find the solution to her problems. Just like she had, they created things, but they never seemed to feel the emptiness that she does. 

Without any other clues, she wandered her world. One day as the young goddess was laying on some grass, aimlessly staring at the sky, a human girl came up to her. 

"What are you doing?" the curious girl asked. 

The goddess, not thinking too hard, replied "Nothing". 

"I'll join you then!" the girl exclaimed, and layed down beside her. 

Neither said anything for a while until the girl randomly said "That cloud looks like a cat". 

The goddess, after looking at the cloud the girl was pointing at, could agree that the cloud resembled the animal the girl was talking about. Without much thought she manipulated the cloud to look more like a cat. 

"Wow! It actually looks like a cat now!" The goddess looked over at the girl and a feeling welled up in her. The smile on her face, the eyes filled with a mix of awe and wonder, it filled with her with something she never felt before. 

She manipulated the cloud, making it move across the sky like an actual cat, running, jumping, pouncing on other smaller clouds. She continuously peeked at the girls face, watching as she was mesmerized by the scene above her. 

This continued for hours, the goddess changing the shape of the clouds every so often, until the sun begins to set and the girl says "Ack! It's this late already! I need to get home, will you be here tomorrow?" 

The goddess is conflicted, sad that the girl is leaving but happy that she'll be back. She nods and the girl runs off across the plains. 

The goddess patiently waits there with nothing better to do as the evening turns to night, and the night to day. The girl does return, waving while running towards her. 

They lay back on the ground, watching the clouds, the girl talking about herself and asking questions about the goddess while the goddess simply responds, content with listening to the girl speak. 

Days pass by, the girl finding new and interesting conversation topics and the goddess finding new ways to entertain the girl. And then one day the girl says "Someday, I wish to travel across the world. Traveling from country to country, discovering the many places in between." 

The goddess, not wanting the girl to leave forever, quickly shouts "Take me with you!" 

The girl chuckles. "Alright then, let's go together." 

The days turn to weeks. The girl, after learning that the goddess doesn't have a place to call home, brought her to her village. 

Weeks turn to months. The goddess stays at the girl's house and spends every day with her. 

Months turn to years. The two set off on their adventure. They travel from town to town, the goddess showing the girl all wonders she created that humanity never found, although she never told the girl that she made them. The girl made all sorts of maps, drawings and paintings of these locations, conveniently stored in a bag that is larger on the inside than it shows that the goddess 'conveniently' found after they started having luggage problems. 

As they arrived at cities the girl sold some of the paintings as well as any valuable resources or ancient relics the goddess 'found'. They sampled food unique to that city and then continued on.

Every few years they would travel back to the girl's village. Eventually the goddess 'found' a relic that warped them to a predetermined point and back, allowing them to travel further without worrying about the trip back. 

Years quickly passed. The girl got older. The visits to the girl's village stopped at some point and the goddess didn't know why. The girl also seemed down every so often so the goddess worked hard to keep her happy, even if she didn't know what was causing her to be down. 

Time continues on. The girl requires a cane to help her walk, which although it slows them down, the goddess doesnt mind the extra travel time. 

They reach the next city, but when the expected departure time comes, the girl wishes to stay. The goddess is confused, but doesnt care either way. As long as she can stay with the girl she will be happy. 

They buy a house with their accumulated funds and live a simpler life. Once in a while the girl would violently cough and blood would come out her mouth. She would say she's fine and to not worry, but the goddess ignores her. But whenever she checks, she can't find any diseases or illnesses. 

She's scared. Every year the girl gets weaker, more of her hair gone from her head. And the goddess can't find anything wrong. 

One day, the girl asks her something. "Can you bring us to the clearing that I found you in?" 

The goddess happily obliges, instantly warping them there, not even bothering with the 'magic relic' ruse. She would do anything for the girl. 

The goddess helps the girl lay down on the grass for fear that she loses her balance and hurts herself. 

"Can you do the cloud show? The very first one?" 

The goddess lays down beside her, her hand gently clasped in the girl's. She recalls the first 'cloud show', as the girl calls it, she did as if it was last year. After all, it hasn't even been a century yet. 

The clouds move forming a vague shape of a sitting cat before becoming more detailed and finally moving across the sky. 

"I was quite foolish thinking I could selfishly keep the goddess's chosen for myself." 

"Hmm?"  

The girl chuckles. 

"Do you still not realize it? The nature defying powers? The fact that you look no different than the day I found you here?" 

The goddess doesnt understand what she means and stays silent. 

"So for what purpose did the goddess choose you? What quest did I shamelessly keep you from?" 

The goddess is confused. What quest is she talking about? 

"Unable to reply? That's fine, dont worry about it. Let's just enjoy the show for now. You can follow your purpose after I'm in a better place." 

The goddess was happy after this sentence. She would follow her purpose whether the girl said that or not. She would follow the girl to the far reaches of the planet and onto the next, after she made it of course. 

Hours went by, the goddess continuing the show, adding slight differences that she hoped the girl would pick up and comment about. She never did though. 

The goddess reached the end of the show and just layed there, waiting for the girl to say something. Anything. 

"Amelia?" She called out, but got no response. She turned to look at the girl but her eyes were closed. The girl is just asleep, she thought. 

The goddess got up and reached down to carry the girl home, but when she touched her, the girl was cold. The goddess checked the girl again for anything wrong but found that her heart wasn't beating. She was dead. Gone.

She fell to her knees, tears streaming down her face. The truth she was trying so hard to ignore made itself known. All humans die eventually. There are no souls, no afterlife. Just death, and an end. Short of linking the girl up to the world's energy, which would have worked, there's nothing that could be done. The girl stubbornly refused when the goddess asked, saying that humans shouldn't live forever. But then why must she live forever, alone? The void she filled with the girl's presence becomes empty once again.

Millennia pass, humans pass by her, buildings are constructed around her, but her eyes never part from the place where the dust from the skeleton of the girl's body used to be. Tears never stopped streaming down her face. Then one day, she reaches a conclusion. 

She shall follow the girl. 

She does everything she thinks will work in a single moment. She blows up the planet. She sets the sun to supernova. She forms a blackhole consuming all that she created, for nothing she created has any worth without the girl. She disconnects the energy flow keeping her world in existance. 

And the world ceased to exist.

11