Chapter 3: Moving In
1.1k 7 45
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

After a couple more hours of driving (and me ignoring Dad), we finally pulled into a parking spot by the dorms. The dorm I was going to be in, Collins, was a large four-story building with a brown roof and red walls. There were lots of other freshmen and parents milling about near the entrance, seemingly as lost as I was.

After venturing into the lobby, Dad and I found the check-in line, which ended in a counter and some student volunteers handing out lanyards and keys. Dad decided to strike up a conversation with the mom in front of us. God, I wish my parents were less friendly.

“Where ya from?” he asked, and they began to make small talk as I stared down at my phone. I sent Kate some pics of the line and messaged, “My dad is incapable of not talking.” She replied, “lmao at least he’s not grumpy all the time.”

Dad interrupted my texting, gesturing to the boy in front of me in line and saying, “Hey sport, this is Kevin.Kevin, this is Sam. I guess you both like video games, maybe you could try to talk about that.”

Kevin ran his fingers through his short black hair and said, “I’ve been big into League recently, what about you?”

I muttered, “Um, I like Breath of the Wild and Animal Crossing and stuff,” and then stared at the ground. I could feel his eyes looking me up and down.

He said, “I like your shirt. Y’know, the triforce and stuff on there is cool,” and nodded a bit. 

I said, “thanks,” quietly. I really wanted to put my hoodie back on, but it would seem weird now, like I was covering up my shirt right after he complimented it. God, I wish I wasn’t so awkward.

Thankfully, soon after Kevin and his mom got called to the desk. As they walked over, he said “Bye, Sam. Hopefully I’ll see you around.” I just weakly waved in response.

Then it was my turn. I told the girl at the desk my legal name (ugh), and she said, “Moore, yes. I see you here.” She crossed something out and handed me a key, a lanyard, and a folder full of papers. “There’s lots of useful info in this folder, so make sure you look through that. Also, we’ll be having a welcome event at 8, so hope to see you there.”

Dad and I headed back to the car, then lugged my stuff to the elevators. After a ding, the doors opened on the third floor, and we got out. We found #317 across from the elevator and over to the left. I put down the bay I was carrying, took off the lanyard, and opened the door.

    The room was fine, but kinda basic. There was a bed and a desk and a chair and a lamp and a dresser and a small closet. I had convinced the university to give me a single by telling them I was trans. So at least I wouldn’t have to deal with any roommates.

We set my luggage down and Dad said, “Wow, nice that you get your own room.” I had told him I was assigned to a room by myself by pure chance. I felt a little bad because a single cost more, but my parents had plenty of money so whatever.

Dad sat down on the chair and said, “Well, bud, I think I’m gonna rest here for a bit, if you don’t mind. Then I’ll get goin’.”

    I said, “Sure, Dad. I’m gonna start unpacking.” I sorted out my stuff (there wasn’t that much of it) and put most of it in the dresser or desk drawer. I was extra careful with my backpack, which had my girl clothes and hormones hiding way inside.

45