Chapter 48: IR Fork
853 11 23
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Well, It's been a while, again. No, I'm not dead, yes, I'm still writing. If you want more info just go to the discord, honestly. I'm almost always on there. There's duck pics and memes about there not being a chapter 48 (suck it, there is now).

Regardless, Hope you enjoy.

Novel Discord and Novel Wiki.

Chapter 48: IR Fork

I check a couple of things on my fancy new doodat, then swap it out for my old eye. Activating it, I check between my current vision and my memory of my vision previously, finding no major differences.

“Alright, baseline test succeeded. Let’s see the alternate mode.” I say to myself. This was more of a just in case test – currently, it was almost functionally and structurally identical to the previous one. There shouldn’t have been a way for it to not work. But ‘should be good’ assumptions are sometimes quite wrong, so it’s always better just to check.

 “What are you muttering to yourself about?” Faida looks over curiously from where she sits. Once again, I’m at the mountaintop to test this.

“Testing out a new eye.” I reply, flicking the switch and activating it again. The world before it is outlined very roughly, and I look towards Faida to check. “Hah! It works. Just as expected.”

Faida raises a regal eyebrow. “Had you not already made yourself an eye? Did you make a better one?”

“Well, yes and no. The normal vision part of it is actually identical to the other one, more or less. But I added new functionality based on a little theory I had – and it worked! Here, it’s easier to just show you.” I float the eye over to her. “Works just like any other magic tool. The part it ‘sees’ out of is that little bit at the front.”

Faida looks at the little ball in front of her. “It is not… dangerous, is it?”

“Not in the slightest. Might hurt if someone tosses it at you hard enough, but apart from that, no.” I reply. “Although, it hasn’t been tested on anyone but me. I suppose there’s a small possibility of some unknown negative effect. You could have the guard just behind those rocks test it, if you prefer.”

Faida jumps in surprise, and a man steps out from behind the rocks. “You knew I was here? When did you notice?”

“When I was partway to the mountain.” I say honestly.

The man flinches. “Weren’t you supposed to be blind?”

“There’s many different ways of seeing, you know. Mine has trouble with colour and intricate details. It also has a radius of nearly two kilometres.” I don’t fail to notice that this man wasn’t one of her guards when I talked about my sight. “Not nice to know someone’s gathering information on me, but I guess it’s to be expected given current company. Good luck to the people doing that, I could count the number of people who know about me outside this world on one hand – If I had hands.”

The surprise on his face is evident, but he recomposes himself after a few moments. “I see. Well, perhaps it is fortunate that I have an opportunity to talk to you myself. What are your intentions with lady Faida?”

“What is this, an interrogation?” I sigh. “Whatever floats your boat. Don’t have any particular intentions. Occasional conversation, maybe. Relationships with important people can get complicated, you know.”

“Do you have any ties with factions, organisations or individuals that are at odds with lady Faida, her father or their kingdom?” He continues.

“No. I’m a loner. I don’t have ‘ties’ with anyone.” If I could roll my eyes, I would. “Look, let’s just make this easy. I have nothing against anyone you work for. I don’t know that anyone I know does either. I’m not involved in any plans against any of them to my knowledge, or any plans at all. I’m just at the academy to learn magic, and I’m on this mountain specifically because it’s easily accessible, remote and has a good view. That good enough for you?”

He chuckles and stoops down to pick up the eye that I had lowered to the ground during the conversation. “Yes, that will do. For what it’s worth, I apologise for the interrogation. As one assigned to be a guard for lady Faida, it is my duty to be suspicious of anyone that approaches her.” Inspecting the tool for a moment, he closes his eyes and activates it. “It seems perfectly harmless, indeed.”

The man tilts his head curiously. “I’m not sure I’ve seen something with a similar effect outside of potions. Something like this from someone who is, though I may risk offense by saying this, a novice artificer, is impressive. I don’t suppose you would be interested in working for lady Faida’s family in the future?”

Faida blinks in surprise, and I fall silent.

Honestly, it would be a big help. I’ve been paying attention to any information about her and her family ever since we started being in frequent contact, and they’re a pretty big deal. The kingdom they’re from is historically ruled by high elves, and was originally an elven kingdom. But over time, wars, alliances, treaties and the like, it grew to encompass a variety of races. To be blunt, it’s one of the greatest powers in this world.

Now, Faida’s family isn’t in the direct line of succession. But they aren’t far off, either, and that’s saying something. Funds for the academy wouldn’t be a problem anymore, and I wouldn’t have to worry about some noble kid taking offense to me and annoying me for the rest of my time here. I would probably be able to acquire rarer resources through them too, stuff that I could use not just for future magic tools but potentially to absorb for my own gain. If there’s one problem with it, though… It’s that I’m not staying here.

“That’s a very tempting offer.” I reply. “And I’m flattered that you made it. But unfortunately, I have circumstances that make it so I can’t accept in good conscience. Specifically, I plan to find my way back to the world of Odwia once I finish my studies here. I’ve got a friend over there who’s probably worried about me.”

He nods understandingly. “I see. Well, if you want, we would be interested in buying some of these from you, or the underlying formation – only if you’re willing, and for a reasonable price, of course. I imagine these would be quite useful for night guards.”

“May I have a look at what has you so interested?” Faida inquires, extending her hand for the tool.

“Ah, of course, my lady.” The man says, handing it to her.

“It is my personal belief that any inventor has to take into account how their invention may be used before selling it.” I say, almost feeling awkward now for repeatedly rejecting him. “It probably would be very useful for night guards, as you said. But it would also be an excellent tool for assassins and thieves. I don’t want that on my conscience.”

“We would never sell it to those types of people!” Faida protests, looking around curiously through the tool.

“If it were that simple, smuggling and circulation of goods illegally wouldn’t be a problem.” I say bluntly. “Where there’s money and power, there’s corruption. They’d filter out into undesired hands eventually, trust me. It’s just how people are.”

I pause. “That being said, I’d be happy to sell you anything I produce that doesn’t share those risks. I don’t have anything currently besides my original version of the eye, but I should be able to figure something out.”

“I understand. I’ll be looking forwards to seeing what you come up with, then.” He nods.

I turn my attention to Faida. “So, what do you think of my eye, Faida?”

“It is… Almost like I am seeing another world. But it isn’t. Such a strange thing.” She says with wonder.

“Hm.” I grunt in agreement. “Wonder what it would look like to see the whole spectrum.”

“Spectrum?”

“Eh, too complicated to explain. Anyway, think I’ll head back now. If I could have my eye back?” I ask, to which Faida holds it out to me.


The man looks down the mountain, already unable to see anything of the flying fork. “What an odd fellow. Oddly honest, too.”

“Do you think he knows how to lip-read?” Faida looks into the sliver of sun still visible on the horizon contemplatively.

“Pardon?” He turns to face her.

“Lip-reading. He said he could see everything within a near two kilometre radius. Do you think he can read the lips of anyone in that area?” She asks.

He blinks. “I don’t know. Possibly. It’s hard to say when we know so little about how his sight works.”

“So he could be reading our lips even now…” Faida mutters. “I think he knew that you are a priest. You said it yourself – he was being oddly honest.”

“Perhaps. It didn’t feel like I was talking to someone young. Normally people would get frightened and flustered if they felt they were being interrogated. He… Well, you were there. It felt more like I was negotiating with a businessman than making an offer to a talented youth.” The priest shakes his head in disbelief.

“Rather than that.” Faida waves the topic away. “How honest was he being, exactly?”

“Completely.” He replies simply. “It’s difficult for me to believe, myself. Although now that I think about it, he never mentioned his thoughts about you, specifically.”

“At the very least, however, he has no plans against me or my father.” Faida muses.

“Indeed.”

“Well, It’s something. Thanks for your assistance.”


He was a priest!?

Just kidding. Of course I knew he was a priest. That or so incredibly naïve to think that he’d get actual answers from those sorts of questions. From what I know, priests and paladins often are given the ‘detect lie’ skill, among others. He didn’t seem like the fighting type, so I assumed priest, not that it would’ve made much difference.

That being said, I don’t generally lie to people in the first place, but it did make the initial conversation swifter.

Anyway, magic tools that I could make for cash… It’s harder to come up with something than I thought. There are some things I could reproduce from earth with my current magical knowledge, but the problem is, there’s mostly easier ways to do them. A ‘light stone’ is one of the simplest and cheapest tools there are, completely making light bulbs obsolete – not that I could make a lightbulb without a tonne of experimentation.

Stoves – fire magic. On and off, no risk of explosion, some more advanced ones even have heat dials. Even something as relatively complex as a fridge is replaced by simple ice magic. Maybe I could sell magic tools like that back in the Empire where there was significantly less magical knowledge, but not here.

Maybe I’ll be able to do well enough with just my prosthetic sense magic tools once I develop them. I already have solid leads on talking and hearing. Even touch maybe. No clue on taste or smell, though. Haven’t the foggiest idea of how they work, outside of ‘chemistry’. Not exactly much to go on.

Speaking, hearing, sight… You know, maybe I do have some ideas. I could make a megaphone pretty easily. Not using how it works on earth, using magic, I mean. Basically just gotta enhance the sound waves that go in, maybe a dial for magnitude, simple.

And a telescope that allows you to easily change magnification, that sounds useful. Recorded music… Yeah, maybe that’s a bit too complicated for me right now. Wait, when it comes to stuff I learned from science class experiments, there was that too, right? That… That might just be doable. Not now, but if I take that class next semester, maybe. I don’t think there’s anything comparable right now, so it should be able to sell easily.

Well, for now I have enough ideas to think about and work on. Plus, I should still refine my eye design further. Not in regard to the electromagnetic spectrum; infrared is probably the most practical addition from there. While it’d be cool to be able to see from microwave to gamma, what use would there really be in that? No, rather than that I’d much prefer to enhance its acuity and detail in visible light.


Despite the success of my prototype, I don’t rest on my laurels, and keep researching magic and working on new tools. When I’m not in class, I’m almost always in one of two places: the library and the workshop. The only time I don’t work is when I enjoy myself with my friends, both for their sake and mine. Working 24/7 is stressful, after all. Taking a break can help me come back to work with a fresh mind, and it’s not just once or twice that I make a small breakthrough because of it.

During artificing classes, I only half pay attention, more focused on working out formations for my own projects than learning. Frankly speaking, I’m ahead of the class in most aspects, so I don’t see a need to pay much mind.

Even if I do, I can just check back through my memories.

Normally this wouldn’t be the case, as I mostly research from the library subjects I’m not taking so as not to waste time, but it can’t be helped. Artificing is something necessary and important for me as the best method for me to regain my senses.

Outside places with a culture in magic like this, it’ll also become an easy method of making money. Money isn’t something I’ve ever particularly cared about, but it’s sometimes necessary, so it’s better to know methods of making it wherever I go.

Now that I’m thinking about it, material goods aren’t the only things I can sell. My information gathering ability is quite high. After all, any conversation that happens anywhere near me, I know the contents of, more or less. Written or encrypted methods not as much, but even that might change when mana sight advances to the next proficiency level. Food for thought.


“Hey, hey! Stop that!” Spark complains, bobbing around like a drunken bumblebee on a swirl of wind magic above Lamar’s hand, the latter lazily twirling a finger as he smirks at the trapped fairy.

Spark continues complaining, unable to muster enough strength to break out of the air currents. “You know I can blind you, right!? I’ll do it! I really… Gonna barf…”

With a chuckle, Lamar eases up, letting Spark harmlessly fall onto his hand, where the little guy promptly vomits. “Eugh. Thought you were bluffing.” Lamar switches the dizzy fairy to his other hand and wipes the sick on the grass.

“I think you went a bit too far.” Iueia says, concerned.

“Didn’t mean to hurt him or anything.” Lamar mutters, inspecting the fairy cradled in his hand carefully. “You right, Spark?”

“Just- just gimme a minute…” Spark drapes an arm over the edge of Lamar’s hand, drooping towards the ground.

“You’re absolutely fine, aren’t you?” I ask dryly.

“Apart from this taste in my mouth, ugh.” Spark’s face twists, before freezing. “I mean, no, I’m terrible. Woe is me. How could you do such a terrible thing?”

Lamar smiles slightly, rubbing Spark’s noggin with a fingertip. “I’m glad. Sorry. Went too far.”

Spark bats away Lamar’s finger. “Well, if you’re saying such a sincere apology, then it would be rude of me not to accept it… If you let me ride on your head for the rest of the time we have out.”

“Alright, but if you vomit up there, you’re cleaning it.” Lamar warns, placing him on top of his own head. “And don’t pull on my hair.”

“No problem, no problem!” Spark exclaims cheerily, already having bounced back from his earlier unhappiness.

Meanwhile, having made sure that the two had reconciled, Iueia is looking around the courtyard to find a good place for us to sit.

Using an arrow of mana, I point towards a particular table. “How ‘bout there?”

Iueia looks in the indicated direction. “Isn’t that… Doesn’t she like, not like you?”

“That’s in the past, mostly.” I reply. “Besides, she looks down, and you guys are good at cheering people up. I’m sure she won’t mind the company.”

“We are?” Iueia questions.

I chuckle internally. Yeah, you are, kid.

We make our way over to the table. “Mind if we join you?”

Joyce, having been staring into nothing for the past twenty minutes or so, finally looks up and notices our presence. “…Sure.” She mutters, looking away again.

“I don’t think I share any classes with you, right? What’s your name?” Spark asks curiously.

Joyce looks in the direction of the voice and stares at Lamar blankly. “Aren’t you in my intermediate water alteration class?”

Lamar wordlessly points to the top of his head. Spark is lying on his stomach with his head propped up on his hands, idly kicking his legs in the soft bed of hair. He waves enthusiastically.

Joyce blinks. “Uh, Joyce. You are?”

“Spark!” He exclaims, magically making himself glow.

“He’s taking every opportunity to do that ever since he learned how.” Lamar comments dryly. “No weird magic on my head, please.”

“Don’t tempt me.” Spark teases.

Lamar rolls his eyes silently. He knows as well as I do that Spark could hardly be dissuaded from his antics, but he wouldn’t take them too far, either.

Iueia speaks up, “So, what are you doing out here all alone?” The same words that would sound like a threat coming from most any other guy to a lone woman seem perfectly innocuous from him.

“Just waiting for my mana to regenerate.” Joyce sighs. “Wasted it all testing bogus formations, now I can’t work on anything until I can test stuff again.”

“Have you tried meditating? Should speed it up at least a bit.” I suggest.

“Yeah, it does. Meditating is just… I can’t do it for more than like, thirty minutes.” She sighs again.

“Thirty minutes!?” Spark exclaims. “My record’s like, five at best!”

“Yeah, that’s just because you’re hyper.” Lamar says bluntly. “Nobody else has a problem doubling or tripling that amount if they wanted to.”

“Really?” Spark asks, looking devastated.

Iueia looks the other way, guiltily saying, “He’s not wrong.”

“Damn it.” Spark clenches his tiny fist. “I’m gonna aim for six minutes next time. You’ll all see.”

“Yep, yep.” I agree absently. “So, the best solution is simply to level up and allocate some stats into intelligence and wisdom.”

Joyce smiles self-deprecatingly. “It would fix most of my problems, yeah. But I don’t have any money to spare to hire adventurers to help me level up, and I’m nowhere near confident enough in my magic to do it myself.”

Accurately speaking, from what I’ve seen of her, she should be capable of killing some monsters, if she had to. Conversely speaking, though, it would be something that she would have to risk her life to do. And, well. They’re basically kids from my perspective. Expecting that of them would just be too cruel.

“My mum and dad gave me some money, but paying for levelling would take, like, all of it.” Spark agrees to my surprise. “Even I can’t make that decision without thinking it through… Maybe I can write and get them to send me more money…”

“Same here. I won’t be able to contact dad ‘til he gets back, so I can’t even do that.” Lamar shrugs.

Iueia smiles wryly. “I’m basically here on the scholarship alone. Even if I wanted to pay, I couldn’t.”

At this point I’m more than slightly taken aback. “Wait, all of you? Why has nobody mentioned this before?”

“Why would I mention not having money?” Spark looks at me blankly.

I facepalm internally. He’s not wrong.

Well, it’s been a while. Looks like it’s time to create party again.

What would you like to name your party?

Let’s go with… ‘Levelling party’. Basic, uncreative, but to the point and functional. Now to invite them all.

Everyone’s gaze unfocuses for a moment as they receive the message, and Lamar raises a questioning eyebrow in my direction.

“Seriously, you guys. If you needed to level up, you should have mentioned it earlier.” I chide. “I don’t mean to boast but… my skillset is practically ideal for finding and killing bunches of low to mid-level monsters.”

“You’re sure you’re not boasting?” Joyce mutters.

Show Joyce level.” I reply simply. “Well, even if you don’t trust me, you lose nothing from joining the party.”

“I guess not.” Joyce agrees, once she gets over the shock. “No wonder you were so composed when we got kidnapped… But, why are you even letting me join?”

“It’d be really rude of me to invite everyone except you right in front of your face, wouldn’t it?” I reason. “If it bothers you, just think of it as me doing some charity work.”

Once everyone joins the party, I adjust the experience distribution to 24% each for them, and 4% for me.

“Anyway, since this was a bit of a snap decision and I haven’t really done this before, I’m not sure how long it might take to level you all up. I’m going fine on all my classes though, so I should have a good amount of free time to work with.” I explain to the group.

While the group is getting all thankful and excitedly discussing and imagining their levelled-up selves, I start to think about the details of what I’ll be doing.

There’re a few things I’ll have to work out, after all. Depending on the monster, I probably won’t be absorbing the bodies. If there’s one with particularly unique aspects, absolutely, but I’m long past the time where I have to take every opportunity for traits and skills. Rather than that, I’d probably get more out of selling them.

And that means I have to think about transportation. Oh, and I’ll probably have to register at the adventurer’s guild, too.


Geralds Status

Status

Name: Gerald

Race: Living Fork

Level: 33

Experience: 6419.0/7600

Gender: None

Age: 2 years (local time)

Allegiance: None

Fame: 1

Strength: 6.5 (65.0)

Intelligence: 54.7

Dexterity: 9.0 (18.0)

Wisdom: 54.5

Charisma: 6.0

Luck: 12.1

Hardness: 26.94

Durability: 18.54/18.54

Mana: 1094/1094

Mana regen: 10.90/min (11.88)

Psi: 545/545

Psi regen: 5.47/min

Ki: 35425/3542 (35425)

Ki regen: 3.54 (35.42)/day

Unspent stat points: 0

 

Titles

Living – You are a living being, and as such, the energies of life heal you and the energies of death damage you.

-Trait: Average life energy absorption -Trait: Average death energy weakness

-Trait: minute life affinity -Trait: negative minute death affinity

Progenitor – The first of your species, and its forefather. Your reputation affects the reputation of your entire race.

-Trait: Minor fame gain enhancement -Trait: 50% of your fame is added to the fame of your race

Household object: Being an everyday, household object makes other beings less likely to notice you and mention you to others.

-Trait: Small fame gain reduction -Trait: Small presence reduction

Assumed inanimacy – Despite being a living entity and continually in the presence of other living entities, few have noticed your existence, assuming you to be an inanimate object. People are slightly less likely to notice you and less likely to notice your life energy.

-Trait: Minor presence reduction -Trait: Moderate life presence reduction

Fork – You are a fork. As such, you are designed to pierce, scoop and carry food.

-Trait: Minute taste enhancement -Trait: Minute piercing enhancement (restricted to food)

-Trait: Minute carry capacity increase (Restricted to food)

Second life – You have lived, and died, once before. While you died young, the experience nonetheless is an advantage over others. -Stats: Wisdom + 1, Intelligence + 2

Clinically sane – You have experienced insanity and overcome it, one way or another. The experience has changed you, for better or worse.

-Stats: Luck +5, Wisdom +1, Dexterity +0.5, Strength +0.5, Intelligence +1

Ouroboros – Like the serpent of legend, you bit your own tail. Then you ate it. Weirdo.

Stat – Luck +2, Charisma +1, Wisdom -1, Wisdom +2

Undead slaughterer – Killer of many horrors of the night, you can instinctively sense nearby undead, especially those harmful to you. All stats increased by 2 when attacking undead.

Skilled – An individual with many different skills. You may now rearrange the skills in your status.

[collapse]
Traits

Life energy absorption (Average) – life energy heals you, causing you to regain durability.

Death energy weakness (Average) – death energy damages you, reducing your durability.

Life affinity (Minute) – You find it easier to gain life related skills and proficiencies than if you did not have this trait.

Negative death affinity (Minute) – You find it harder to gain death related skills and proficiencies than if you did not have this trait.

Fame gain reduction (Minor) – The amount of fame you gain is reduced.

Presence reduction (Small +1) – Others are less likely to notice you.

50% Fame added to racial fame – The fame of your race is equal to 50% of your fame plus the added fame of all other members of the species divided by the number of members in your species.

Life presence reduction (Moderate) – Others are less likely to notice that you are alive.

Taste enhancement (Minute) – All food that touches you tastes slightly better.

Piercing enhancement (Minute) (Restricted to food) – It is slightly easier for you to pierce food.

Carry capacity enhancement (Minute) (Restricted to food) – You can carry slightly more food than appearances would suggest.

Mana touched (Minor) – Mana permeates your body, changing it in some ways.

Herculean Strength (Large) – In possession of the ability to exert strength far beyond that of your peers. Multiplies base strength (Before using passive or active skills) by 10.

Structured sanity (Moderate) – a well-structured mind is a strong mind. You are resistant to mind affecting or altering affects, such as fear, charm and hypnosis.

Magic metal – You have gained the properties of the magic metal, Mithril. Your body conducts mana at twice the normal rate. Your passive mana absorption is doubled. Your maximum mana is now equal to Intelligence multiplied by 20 instead of Intelligence multiplied by 10. Your maximum durability is increased by your maximum mana divided by 100. Your hardness is increased by max mana divided by 100.

Psychic – You have unlocked the hidden potential of your mind. Stat unlock: psi.

Poison Resistance (Huge) – You are completely immune to weak and ordinary poisons. The effects of more potent poisons on you are greatly reduced.

Flea-bitten (Minor) – Fleas instinctively move towards you.

Physical damage reduction (Minute) – Damage taken that would do under 5% of your total durability as damage is reduced by 5%.

Ki Practitioner: You have gained the ability to control the energy within you, and to reinforce it with the energy around you, enabling you to perform far beyond the normal limits of your body.

Stat unlock: Ki.

Water-Proof (Minor) – Water, and many water based fluids, will slip from your surface with great ease.

Feather-weight (Minute) – You feel light as a feather. A feather that weighs slightly less than you originally did, that is. 1% weight reduction.

Cat’s flexibility (Minor) – Base Dexterity is multiplied by 2. Range of movement of joints increased by 1.1 times.

Curse resistance (Minor) – You have developed an innate resistance to curses. Reduces the effect of weak curses on you.

Heat resistance (Minor) – You have developed an innate resistance to heat. Reduces discomfort and damage inflicted upon you by high temperatures. Slightly increases your melting point.

[collapse]
Skills

Absorb (Advanced) (Racial, Low Unique) 34.18% - Allows the absorption of energy, or substances through the surface of the body or at a distance of (Int*Wis)/10mm. Rate of absorption can be controlled. Although this ability is magical in nature, as it is a form of mana control, and mana is also absorbed, mana cost is 0. Currently the only form of energy able to be absorbed is mana. Absorbing substances has a minor chance of giving traits, abilities and skills relating to the substance.

Mana sight (Expert) (Low Unique, Passive/Toggled) 7.18% - You are capable of seeing smaller congregations of mana than before within (Intelligence*Wisdom)/1.75m. Their forms are now distinct. You can now differentiate mana by type.

Form manipulation – Self (Expert) (Low Unique, Active) 49.28% - Through the use of mana, you can manipulate your own form at will. Cannot change density or mass. Costs 3.5 mana/second while changing form, costs 6 mana/minute while in a form not your original.

 

WARNING! Do not use this ability if you are of a race with aspects that could result in death if you were to change them E.G. internal organs, mana pathways, et cetera.

Doppelganger (Static) (High Unique, Active) – Switch between your original appearance and that of a Human Male. Costs 1000 mana/min.

Self-repair (Master) (Low Unique, Active) 10.95% - By expending a type of energy available to you, you can repair your own durability and recover your original form. Current energies able to be used: Mana, Psi, Ki. Exchange ratio: 5 mana: 0.1 durability, 10 Psi: 0.1 durability, 10 Ki: 0.1 durability.

Mana control (Master) (Mid Rare, Passive) 3.26% - Your practice with magic has led to an incredible familiarity with handling mana. Maximum quantity of mana able to be controlled reliably: 500 mana. Minimum quantity of mana able to be controlled reliably: 0.05 mana. You are capable of controlling ambient mana within wis*0.01m

Mana sense (Advanced) (Low Uncommon, Passive) 24.16% - You have gained familiarity with sensing the presence and flow of mana in the world around you. Accuracy decreases significantly with distance.

Meditation (Master) (High Rare, Active) 19.44%: Enter into a state unburdened by the worries of the physical world. There is only you, and your thoughts that exist in this world. While in this state, mana regeneration multiplied by 3.0, Psi regeneration multiplied by 3.0, Ki generated at 25 times the normal rate. User is also calmed and receives slight resistance to mind affecting or altering affects.

Magic missile (Expert) (Mid Uncommon, Active) 91.50% - Fires a projectile of mana. Power scales with mana consumption, unable to exceed 50 mana per shot. Maximum range = Intelligence*1.75/metres. If remotely controlling, there is an additional mana cost of 0.65 mana/sec, otherwise direction of travel is set at initial creation of shot.

Magic edge (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Active) 7.14% – You have discovered how to clad the edge of your blade in magic power, increasing the power of your strikes. Increase in power varies depending on mana spent.

Formation casting (Expert) (High Uncommon, Passive) 19.78% - You have an excellent grasp of casting magic through formations. Small increase in speed and precision when casting magic through formations.

Vocal casting (Basic) (Low Uncommon, Passive) 25.18% - You have a basic grasp of casting magic vocally.

Creation magic (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Passive) 43.20% - You have a good grasp of creation magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting creation magic spells.

Destruction magic (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Passive) 29.83% - You have a good grasp of destruction magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting destruction magic.

Summoning magic (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 10.35% - You have a good grasp of summoning magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting summoning magic.

Illusion magic (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 24.60% - You have a good grasp of illusion magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting illusion magic.

Light magic (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 83.47% - You have a good grasp of multiple aspects of light magic, including creation and illusion. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting light magic.

Darkness magic (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 32.16% - You have a good grasp of darkness magic, particularly creation magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting darkness magic.

Fire magic (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Passive) 51.32% - You have a good grasp of fire magic, particularly creation and destruction magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting fire magic.

Water magic (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Passive) 42.54% - You have a good grasp of water magic, particularly creation magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting water magic.

Earth magic (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 49.15% - You have a good grasp of multiple aspects of earth magic, including creation and summoning. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting earth magic spells.

Wind magic (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 17.56% - You have a good grasp of wind magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting wind magic.

Force magic (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 16.37% - You have a good grasp of force magic. Slight increase in mana efficiency and spell control when casting force magic.

Artificing (Advanced) (High Uncommon, Passive) 28.48% - You have a good grasp on the craft of designing and building magic tools. Slight increase in the ability to recognise the use of unfamiliar magic tools.

Common language-Written (Master) (Mid Uncommon, Passive) 13.63% - You can not only read common the right way up, but upside-down, sideways and reflected without much trouble. The very few words you don’t recognise you can understand from context, and you can read like lightning if you need to.

Small increase in the ability to ignore superfluous text and descriptions to find the actual information you want. Allows you to skip over info dumps and flowery descriptions without flinching even slightly.

Common language-Spoken (Expert) (High Common, Passive) 78.31% - You know most of the commonly used words in the common language. Only obscure and occupation specific words are likely to be outside your knowledge.

Terran language – Written (Expert) (High Uncommon, Passive) 14.19% - You have a large vocabulary and can understand most writing.

Terran language – Spoken (Expert) (High Uncommon, Passive) 4.18% - You have a large vocabulary, and have no problem engaging in simple conversation.

Ignitae language – Written (Expert) (High Uncommon, Passive), 8.51% - You have a large vocabulary and can understand most writing.

Aquan language – Written (Expert) (High Uncommon, Passive), 1.07% - You have a large vocabulary and can understand most writing.

Aerus language – Written (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Passive), 48.78% - You have a good vocabulary and can understand most things written in this language, although in some cases it may take some time.

Telepathy (Advanced) (High Rare, Active) 41.15% - Allows one to communicate with other beings in exchange for 0.5 Psi/sec*distance between user and target in meters, to a maximum range of (Wisdom*Intelligence)/5m. Allows the user to share emotions and thoughts with the recipient.

Telekinesis (Expert) (Mid Rare, Active) 29.17% - Through Psi, your mind pushes at the world around you, moving objects without the need for physical contact. More Psi is required to produce greater forces. Currently slightly inefficient.

Psychic translation (Static) (Low Unique, Passive) – Through subconscious psychic analysis of thought waves and language patterns, allows you to understand (and temporarily speak) any spoken language as if it is your native tongue. Does not apply to non-vocal languages.

External Ki manipulation (Basic) (Low Rare, Active) 0.51% - You have discovered how to manipulate Ki outside of your body. Doesn’t mean you’re any good at it. Difficulty of control increases drastically with distance and quantity of Ki.

Ki blast (Advanced) (Mid Rare, Active) 47.28%: Expel Ki from your body in a concentrated blast. Power varies with ki infused. With your lack of experience, you are not able to accurately control the amount of ki you infuse into the skill, it may vary by up to 10 points.

Metallurgy (Advanced) (Low Uncommon, Passive) 16.74% - You have decent knowledge of common metals and alloys.

Herbalism (Basic) (Mid Common, Passive) 59.11% - You have some knowledge about the names, appearances and uses of common and even rarer herbs, but lack practical experience.

Lip reading (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Passive) 90.61% - You have learned how to understand what people are saying by the movement of their lips. Doesn’t hurt that you can see their tongue and jaw movement, either. Rarely inaccurate, you can usually tell what people are saying, unless they have some crazy accent. Good luck with those.

Multitasking (Expert) (High Uncommon, Passive) 3.14% - You are excellent at doing multiple things at once. Average increase to your ability to keep track of multiple things at once, average decrease in the reduction in precision when performing multiple tasks at once.

Body of deadly poison (Advanced) (Low Unique, Passive/Toggled) 0.10% – Deadly poison courses throughout your entire body. So potent is this poison that even touching you will cause great sickness and partial paralysis for a short period of time. Potency of poison scales a small amount with proficiency.

Body of weak acid (Advanced) (Mid Uncommon, Passive/Toggled) 2.07% - A weak acid courses throughout your body and on your skin. So weak is this acid that it acts better as a cleaning agent than a weapon. Acidity scales minutely with proficiency.

Power stab (Advanced) (High Common, Active) 13.12% - Multiplies the speed and power of a stab by 1.2. Cooldown: 4 minutes.

Nine lives (Static) (Passive) – You will avoid the next eight attacks that would be deadly to you, seemingly by accident. After avoiding eight attacks, this skill will disappear.

Charges remaining: 8

Melee weaponry – Spear (Advanced) (Mid Common, Passive) 0.00% - You have some experience using a standard spear. Minor increased grip strength when wielding this weapon, and +1 to Strength and Dexterity while wielding this weapon. Maintaining this type of weapon is easier for you.

Flee (Basic) (Low Uncommon, Passive/Conditional) 3.28% - Multiplies base dexterity by 1.5 when running away from something. Will deactivate if offensive action is taken. Will not activate if you do not perceive the thing you are running away from as a threat.

Climbing (Advanced) (Low Uncommon, Passive) 0.00% - You have a slightly increased ability to find handholds and footholds when climbing something, as well as a slightly increased ability to maintain grip on smaller handholds.

Gaming – Minesweeper (Expert) (Mid rare, Passive) 13.30% - You’ve sunk way too much time into this game. And despite the statistics saying 0 wins, 308 losses, you are way better at this than almost everyone else. Slightly increased analytical abilities. Slight instinctive ability to correctly guess the outcome of a 50/50 gamble.

Gaming - Tic-Tac-Toe (Master) (Low Unique, Passive) 48.97% - You are a master at Tic-Tac-Toe. Congratulations. Slight instinctive ability to correctly guess the outcome of 50/50 and one in three gambles.

Deception (Advanced) (High Common, Passive) 0.07% – Whether the end game is a knife in the back or a slowly drained bank account makes no difference. It’s not like they don’t lie to you, either. Others are more likely to believe your words. Affected positively by charisma. Synergistic effect with the ‘flattery’ skill.

Flattery (Advanced) (Low Uncommon, Passive) 0.00% – Skill and tireless effort is the surest way to the top. But sometimes, a few lined pockets and some glitzy compliments are all you need. Others are more likely to have positive opinions of you. Affected positively by charisma. Synergistic effect with the ‘deception’ skill.

Mud bath (Basic) (Low Uncommon, Passive) 0.00% - Your injuries heal faster when they are covered with mud, by 1.2 times. Slightly lowered chance of contracting infection and parasites from this activity.

…However, as you are for most purposes an object, this skill does not affect you.

[collapse]

[collapse]

Hope you enjoyed the chapter.

Novel Discord and Novel Wiki.

23