Vol 1.5 Those Who Tangle With the Witch of Despair pt 7
64 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vol 1.5 Those Who Tangle With the Witch of Despair pt 7

 

The markets these days were barren and bleak. There only lay one restaurant that still offered their services at this time. As soon as she had knocked on its door it blasted open with people anxious to have see new customers.

“Welcome welcome!” A cheery faced man smiled. His face lit up like a firework upon realizing that it was none other than the Immortal Witch herself that had come to visit his establishment.

“Resha!~” He lightly curtsied before immediately ushering her to a seat. “I’m honored! Come, come. I’ll cook you the best food you’ll have tasted. In all your years!!”

“Kahlin!” A young woman peered out from behind the wall of their kitchen in surprise at the urgency in his voice.

“Yes dear??”

“Look look who it is! It’s Resha!”

“Huh?!” She quickly did a double take before immediately bowing, hard enough that she perhaps could have dove underneath the floor like a sand wyrm.

Lusha quickly put both of her hands up as if she was being held hostage by their energy. “Please it’s alright- it’s alright. There’s no need for the theatrics.”

“Who’s being theatrical?!” The man asked with a wide smile still on his face. It almost seemed as if his face was permanently stuck like that. Lusha remained awestruck… to think that there was a man with this much energy, she was uncertain if he was a new type of desert wraith.

She quickly nudged Eri who smiled, clearly as unnerved as she was. “Oh! I’m sorry. How could I— Are you a friend of Resha? You shall have the best food ever! It’s on the house!” He quickly picked his wife up by the collar of her shirt. “Come, Kahlin! Let’s go!! Go!! Go!!” They hurried around the corner at breakneck pace, almost slipping from the sheer speed at which he turned.

 

“Y-yes, dear!!”

Various pots and pans could be heard clanging from in the back as they scurried around to make food.

Lusha and Eri looked at each other in amusement before bursting out into laughter. The scene was too erratic. The man came back around the corner with two jugs of drinks, careful not to spill any as she poured out a huge jug of wine.

“Well, this place certainly has more energy than the entire town combined.”

The man nodded and poured them both a glass. “I’ve saved this wine! For 50 years it’s been in our family!!”

Lusha looked flabbergasted. “I-… couldn’t possib….” She was cut short by the excited man staring right at her with a smile larger than his face could handle. “I understand! So I’ll give you only half!”

“I-is that your thought of compromise?! Please- I don’t need any of the wine. Save it for a more special time.”

“I understand! So you’ll share some with all of us then right!? That’s too generous!”

“H-hey! A-are you even listening?!”

“Kahlin!! Get two more glasses please!” Kahlin quickly came around the corner with two more glasses. “Resha! I’d like you to meet my wife, Kahlin! She’s the backbone of this restaurant.”

He stated his introductions as he was pouring wine into each of the glasses. There now lay 4 glasses in front of them all filled to the very brim with wine. An amused Lusha took her glass and began to take a sip as they all awaited eagerly for her reaction. Upon completing her first drink, she blinked curiously. “This… doesn’t taste like wine at all.”

The man gasped, before he began to open his mouth and profusely apologize no doubt, but Lusha stuck her hand up and had them pause. “No… that isn’t a bad thing. I much rather hate the taste of alcohol, or the taste wine normally leaves on my mouth.” The look quickly turned to excitement.

He put up his glass and immediately shouted in excitement. “YESS!!! HAHAHAHA The wine is approved.” The duo then both sat down across from her and began to take their drinks as well. Eri simply moved her drink to the side.

“I’m not sure I’m quite healthy enough to drink just yet… aye, Lusha?”

“Oh... I suppose you’re right. I’ll drink it then. She quickly chugged the rest of the drink just as fast as she had downed the first one. In truth, this was probably the best wine she had tasted. Its sweet flavor and aroma made certain that it held a lasting kiss of roses on her tongue, but not too much.

 

Though it held no stinging flavor, the wine was indeed formidable. It would take its toll just minutes later. Her cheeks became rosy and her movement relaxed as she openly laughed at the man’s jests.

“You know… you haven’t really told me your name yet, sir.”

“Mourn.” Such a bleak name for an individual that’s so hyperactive. Though it is quite fitting. His eyes carried a sort of deadpan sadness unbefitting of his attitude. “Mourn.” Lusha repeated.

The man nodded. “Mourn, you were certainly here earlier last year, no?”

“Why of course! I was among the first to hear of your arrival. I prepared a feast, but I could not get an audience with you at the time! The kings council had barred any requests. But now look at this, you in my restaurant at last!! HAHA! I can die peacefully.”

“Then you were most certainly here for the incident immediately after my arrival, in which I had lightly threatened the city.”

“Hmm… whatever do you me- AH!! Yes!! It was marvelous, Resha.”

Lusha glanced at Mourn with one eyebrow cocked at the time. “You sure are strange… after such an incident, most everyone avoids talking with me in fear of incurring my wrath. Aside from the usual Resha of course. Are you not yourself afraid?”

“N-no… of course not? Why would I be afraid?”

“Well… at any point I may easily kill you by accident. Does that not even incur a slight bit of concern?”

Mourn laughed loudly, before immediately retaining himself. He bowed politely. “With all due respect, Resha, if you were to decide to kill me, I would have deserved it.”

Lusha let out a bemused exhale from her nose. “Very well, Mourn. I hope you take good care of us.”

Mourn bowed and left behind the kitchen to prepare more food. Kahlin finished taking just a sip of her drink before excusing herself as well. “Hm… are you not going to drink more?” Lusha noticed that the both of them had not yet touched most of their drinks.

Kahlin smiled and nodded. “No worries, Lord Resha, after we finish making your food we shall enjoy more drink with you. It’s important we don’t mess it up, you see?” she flashed a quick smile, attempting to be more like Mourn, yet it was obvious she was wrought with anxiety. She hurriedly ran back to the kitchen to assist Kahlin.

“Now.”

Lusha turned to the now quiet and pondering Eri. “You seem to be lost in thought with something, Eri.”

Eri nodded and quietly sipped a portion of Kahlin’s wine. Regardless of her current condition one tiny sip would not have done anything. To her surprise, it tasted just as good as Lusha had claimed. She almost had cause to try and drink more.

“I’ll ask you something, Eri… and be truthful.”

“Do you still retain your divine impartation?”

This question did not take her by surprise. She had felt there was a reason for the line of questioning. Right here and right now, everything could be over. It all just depended on the choice she made. In the past she had always relied on the voice to tell her what to do. It would always turn out to be the correct choice. But now, there was nothing. Not a single voice spoke to inside her head, no guide, no thought. She was at a crossroad with unlimited paths, all of them leading to an ending—yet, only one being a proper choice.

She remained silent for a while. Thinking of this Witch and everything she had given her. It was not an exchange done without a price. Of course she would have to pay for it eventually. Now, it all depended on if she could or not.

“I truly...”

Lusha observed her with a gleam in her eyes. The wine having gotten her in a much more relaxed state, saw to it that she asked such a question with much relaxation. “I know you’re probably thinking of something to say at the moment. But do not think too much. There is only one proper answer to this.”

“I-if I don’t answer.”

“Now don’t presume to say that. You would indeed condemn these great people. Perhaps 10 for every day spent. 3520 people. Do you understand?”

“I-…” her voice caught in her throat. She tried her best to control her breathing, as her body strained under the weight of her decisions. Had she known she would eventually have to pay the price she would never have taken this deal. No… she had always known. It was stubborn of her to have continued with the rejuvenation process for this long. She should have come to her right away and told her immediately of her concerns.

This was entirely her fault. The price she now owed was worth the lives of countless individuals. Even if they were friends, she knew what the Witch was like.

“Please… Lusha, if you find my answer unsatisfactory, please only kill me.”

“No.”

Several minutes passed by in silence. Lusha too took a sip from Mourn’s glass before placing it back down.

Just then Mourn appeared around the corner with his first tray of food. “Alas! I’ve readied the very first taste of our appetizers!” He laid it out on the table before them and removed the lid to unveil – “This is our restaurants original recipe by Kahlin herself! We call it Oplesse." She looked at the food before her, several steaming buns filled with an orange and blue seasoning. "The blue is a Cein Peppers, and ground Edith flower! Wrapped inside is the carmelized sturgeon from the river ports. It's thanks to you that we can make these again with the miraculous growth you've provided this country."

Lusha smiled in kind to Mourn's beaming grin. She took one of the forks provided to her and quickly attempted to try a bite. 

"Oh n-not yet! Oooahhh-- I almost forgot the sauce!! Please, pardon me, Resha! Don’t try it yet!” He bowed and quickly ran to the kitchen. With how quickly he had moved, Lusha had expected to hear the clanging of pots and pans upon his arrival.

“Corner!”

Moments later he promptly returned with a small cup that held within it a ton of black sauce. “Careful now, it is very hot.”

Lusha smiled and dipped the entirety of the bun within the sauce and took a bite out of it. To her surprise it was cold entirely. “This is nowhere near h-“ then it dawned on her that the man was talking about the spice, not the temperature.

“Ohh! Leave it to you, Resha! Only the great Witch would be unfazed by such a flavor!”

Lusha turned red anyways… whether that was due to the peppers or her sudden embarrassment, could not be determined.

“I’ll run back and grab more-“

“No no… please sit.”

Mourn nodded and sat right next to Lusha. The man seemed as if he could not read the room to save his life. Otherwise, he would have not approached initially. But nonetheless, it wasn’t as if Lusha particularly disliked his company.

“Mourn… what if I were to say the next food you bring out will determine the fate of this entire city. I cannot say I’d much rather enjoyed this… Oplesse. What shall you do?”

Without missing a beat, Mourn replied. “I’ll get you to like it of course!” his mood was unrelenting. “Even if I have to cook it over and over again— Ten times—No!! One hundred times!”

He smiled. “But that is an impossibility. I shall not fail.”

“And… should you fail. Let’s just say that you do. What then?”

 

“Hm...” he took the time to truly ponder this question. Lusha took another bite of the Oplesse. The taste of it seemed to be growing on her after-all.

“Well then… I suppose we’ll all just have to accept death gracefully. It is no dishonor to be killed by the great one. Like I said before, I must have done something to warrant death!”

Lusha smiled, tapping a finger on the table. “Well?” He answered exactly how Lusha had expected him to answer. This man was truly the heart of this nation.

“I-… do not… have my divine impartation.”

“Marvelous.”

She took another sip of Mourn’s wine, which Mourn seemed not to mind at all. Though he did have a look of confusion on his face. He simply observed as things unfolded.

Lusha patted Eri on the back. “Relax.”

Tears were flowing down her eyes uncontrollably as she cried outloud. “Oh relax. For your answer, I will not kill anyone. For it was truthful.”

“Mourn, you may have just saved this entire nation. Look proud about yourself.”

Mourn nodded attentively, appearing as if he knew the situation yet was entirely lost to it.

“Still, you’ll have to give me a proper answer. Even if it takes you a hundred tries. Give me an answer I will be satisfied with.”

Thus, began the long awaited journey to Borim. It’s there, where the greatest tragedy known to this century would occur. The tale that truly grants her the name “Wretched Witch of Despair.”

4