CH. 2
4 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

CH. 2

When morning came, Vain ate breakfast then quickly bought tickets at the harbor then came back to Silvestere island. 

Silvestere island was a large island housing three large cities. There was the city where he was born, Eris, the city of mercenaries Judas and the city of merchants, Sylvester.

The institute where Vain was taken was at the mercenary city Judas. It was quite and uproar when the institute was raided by knights of Roland Empire six months ago, now it was just an empty building. 

Vain returned to Eris after he ran away from the knights and stayed there until he came to Sylvester city after training gruelingly.

Then at the harbors of the Judas city, Vain came down from flight of stairs and visited Dwargen's shop.

*Jingle~* the door's bell, sounded pleasantly as Vain steps inside the dusty old store. Dwargen was behind the counter like usual with his usual board look.

How is this place still up? There's hardly any customers..... — Vain though to himself as he walked near the counter.

"Here for the sword, yeah?"

"That's right"

Vain nodded. Dwargen then points at the 2 meter large sword with no other special designs except for its mass and height. Vain held the sword's hand lifted it up with one hand.

Seeing that, even though it has been so many times, Dwargen still asks....

"How the hell are you even lifting that thing? That nearly killed me just for it's weight"

"I workout a bit"

Was the only reply Vain would always say. Then on the counter, Vain placed bags of spiral horns on the counter. Dwargen sighs and buys them off from Vain as always.

"I still don't get why you're not aiming to become a knight with your skills"

Vain was at the right age to join a legion under the banner of the empire. Since there has been large recruits lately because of the new abyss gate opening, it was quite a waste for Vain to stay as a mercenary with his skill.

But for someone who was tricked in a recruitment day, he was quite adamant in not joining any guilds nor legions or even work a a simple soldier at all.

Those dreadful four years were still haunting him to this day.

As such, Vain left the shop not answering Dwargen's question.....

Then after leaving the alleyways and reaching the main street, Vain stopped for a moment.

"It's still morning. Should I look for work or grab something to eat?"

Since it was still early, there was a lot of time to spare. Although he wasn't hungry, he wasn't that eager to work yet. Since mercenaries are pretty much freelance workers, there was no set time to work or eat for them.

Unless you've joined the adventurers guild where there was a ranking system, you'll work yourself as much as you want to.

But since Vain was working just for the money, being a mercenary fitted him best.

"I guess I'll visit Sylvester city for now"

Vain turn his steps the other way and left Judas city. 

———

"Haaaaah..... The guy we're looking for doesn't even exist inside full of mercenaries. What's up with that?"

Emann Wells was grumbling under his breath as he was returning from the city of mercenaries and was headed to the city of merchants Sylvester via carriage.

Next to him was a comrade who came along because there was quite a number of low price brothels at the city of mercs.

A rough looking fellow with thick bushy brown beard compared to his empty lot of a head, Bucks.

"No matter, let's just go back and tell the commander we couldn't find the guy"

"Yeah well, after all that, there was only rumors about the guy. Though he know that this we're looking for uses a large sword compared to his size"

"At least there's progress right?"

Would that even be progress? Emann Wells was already tired searching for the rumored Merc all over the east sector islands. Because such man had reached even the main capital itself, it piqued the ears of many nobles that wished to hire the Merc.

Their commander, Cynthia Locks McGuiness, also heard of the said and wished to recruit him. Sadly, their efforts in looking for this man ended in Vain. There's was nothing about him. Not a hair nor shadow. Just a rumor that he exists.

Emann Wells sighs deeply. It seems that they have to go back empty handed again. Bucks petted Emann Wells's shoulder with a hearty laugh.

"Bahahaha! Don't be so down now! Don't worry, the commander will understand"

"Well if you say so"

Emann Wells felt reassured by Bucks since the guy was the oldest member of their squad. It seems he had been with Cynthia Locks McGuiness even right before she became a commander of her own squad.

Emann Wells still couldn't comprehend why the proud and wealthy McGuiness family would let one of their daughters go around fighting monsters at such a young age.

The mere thought of it was just plain thoughtless. After all Cynthia Locks McGuiness was a woman so beautiful that most of the young ones in their Light Wing squad peeks at her while she's bathing.

Sadly, those young ones also get punished severely for such stupid act. Even Emann Wells was stupid enough to do that in the past only to suffer dangling under a floating island with just a single worn out rope.

*Ka—lack* The carriage rattled. The young man sitting across Emann Wells woke up from his sleep.

"You look tired kid. Out from work?"

"......."

Emann Wells tried to strike a conversation with the young man. But it seems he was still half awake because he was just staring at him. Then short while after, the young man nodded.

Poor kid, looks like his a sad chap that just  became an adventurer— Emann Wells thought so as he glanced at the young man's attire.

Draped in a ragged old worn out cloth, his equipment was old and worn out. There were stitches here and there as well as cracks on his chest plates. It seems like a poor man's attire that was bought from a clearing at a clothe store.

The young man was now fully awake and sat upright while glancing in front of the carriage.

"Still ways from Sylvester city?"

"Yeah, halfway through judging from the position of the sun"

"I see"

The young man sighs then suddenly told the driver to stop the carriage. Emann Wells was worried that the young man was planning to jump down but....

"Don't move forward. Wait a bit, there's a monster out front"

The young man says before jumping out of the carriage. Probably because the driver knows him that he didn't complained, but the other passengers were complaining. Dying "There's no monster! Get back here" "This new blood just making a stir, stop wasting my time!!" and "God, new blood this days....." while watching the young man walked straight at the road.

However, the most peculiar thing that Emann Wells was wondering about was that large sword the young man was holding in his hand.

It was too big to be carried around with one hand and most of all, it was too big even for a carriage to carry it.

"Just where—"

Did he take that out from?— Where the words that were cut off from Emann Wells's mouth as a loud shriek from nowhere echoed loudly in his ears.

*KIEAAAAAACK!!!!*

Outside the carriage, where the young man stood, there was a four meter gryphon standing in his path.

"What!? There was nothing there a minute ago!!?"

One of the passengers screamed as he readied his sword and jumped out of the carriage. But then, just before the others jumped off as well, Emann Wells watched the young man swing that large sword like some blunt weapon and sent the gryphon flying with the flat side of his sword.

The gryphon, who boasted a large size and great wind power, was just swatted away like some fly by a young kid three times smaller than it's size.

Everyone had their jaw dropped, except for the driver, who was saying "Climb up you new bloods. Let the veteran climb back~♪" like a jolly old man.

Then as the young man returned his large sword disappeared once more. He then sat at the same seat, quietly closed his eyes and dozed off once more.....

I....I found him!!!— Emann Wells screamed so in his mind excitedly.

———

Vain was going to visit Sylvester city's public library but there were two guys blocking his way. One was a short man with a goat and a short ponytail and the other was a large rough looking bearded old bald man. Both were wearing light blue colored uniforms.

Vain, who had his path block, was frowning.

"Move"

"C-Come on kid! Just a minute of your time! Please!!"

The goatie man asked desperately.

"Come now son! We just need a bit of your time! Hahahaha!!"

The bald old man asked with a hearty laugh.

Vain didn't know these two except they were just passengers of the same carriage old man Finn drived. Right now, the old man left after saying thanks to Vain for taking care of the gryphon.

Just what does these two want from me?— Vain thought, his frown wasn't letting up.

"If it's work, post on the notice board back the Merc city. I'll come by and look at it if I have the time"

Vain said coldly whilst trying to leave. But the goatie man stepped in front of him against and blocked his path.

"Come on kid! Just a short while! Please! Even just two no ten minutes!!"

The goatie man, Emann Wells, was persistently trying to take Vain with him. Since he missed this chance, he might not meet the rumored Merc again.

But instead of his mood easing up, Vain's mood was plummeting. It was a good thing they were already inside the city or else, Emann Wells would have been ground paste with how annoying he was.

"Don't want to. Try another Merc"

"I can't!! It has to be you!!"

"Disgusting, I don't swing that way"

"I don't either!!!"

"Haaah...." Vain sighed, controlling his hand from ever pulling his sword from his black storage and smash Emann Wells's head with it.

There were others looking at their way already, if some on lookers misunderstands, the town guards might even get involve now.

As such, left with no other choice, he just complied.

"Alright. You have to five minutes"

"That's short!! at least make i—"

*Shii—* A dagger was right at the tip of his Emann Wells's nose, causing him to suddenly close his mouth.

"Five minutes or nothing. I got nothing to with your lot after that"

Vain said with a cold tone in his voice while storing back the dagger on his waist. However, Emann Wells and Bucks, they both were shock by that speed. They didn't even see nor hear Vain drawing his dagger at all.

Cold sweat dripped across Emann Wells's and Buck's foreheads. With Emann Wells stutteringly saying "A-A-Alright.... F-Five minutes then"

"Lead the way"

And so, Emann Wells was successful in bringing in Vain. However, his gut was telling him that pissing off Vain was the last thing he wanted do. Even while walking towards the Inn where Cynthia Locks McGuiness was, the two knights were quietly. So quiet that the chatters of and noises of the streets was making their heart thump badly.

Emann Wells then whispers to Buck....

"The kid is dangerous! Are we sure that the commander can control him?!"

"How the heck would I know?!"

"Aren't you the commander's right hand man?!"

"Isn't that you?!"

"Don't pass the the baton to me you ass!! The kid is seriously bad news!! You saw how he sent that fucking gryphon flying right?! Even his hand is so fast he could've killed in an instant!!"

Both Emann Wells and Bucks were sweating profusely. They were so nervous that just whispering to each other were giving them cold chills. Vain was quietly following them behind but, wouldn't he be able to kill them then leave without even anyone noticing?

Just the mere thought of that happening was making Emann Wells's knees weak.

"Shouldn't you try to talk to him? You're the oldest here"

"I don't want to die yet! I still haven't taste good expensive women!!"

"You and your horny ass!! Try and think of something to entertain the guy or our heads will fly!!"

At the moment Emann Wells and Bucks looked like their arguing, Vain stopped his feet and glared at the two.

"What are you guys whispering about?"

His tone was cold and freezing and his glare was as sharp as a blade. The moment that two heard Vain spoke their shoulders jumped.

"N-N-Nothing!! right?!!!"

"Y-Yeah!! Nothing!! Hahahaha!!!"

Bucks just tried to laugh off the cold feet he was having. Even an experience soldier like Bucks was shaking like a wet chick. Emann Wells just know how bad angering Vain was so they just quietly walked on until they reached the inn.

It was a high class inn judging from the building itself. Vain wasn't someone that frequents the merchant city that often but even he knows that this multistory inn was very expensive.

Emann Wells invited Vain to the lobby while he calls for Cynthia Locks McGuiness. Bucks was left standing next to Vain like shaking lamppost after getting hit by an earthquake.

———

*Bam—Bam—Bam!!* Emann Wells pounded on Cynthia Locks McGuiness's room as his heartbeat was racing like crazy after running to the fifth floor.

Once the door opens, an angry lady came out.

"Looks like you would need to be taught some manners for banging on a woman's room's do—"

"I'll gladly take the punishment!! Just do it later!! The guy you're looking for is waiting for you!!"

Emann Wells hurriedly said to Cynthia Locks McGuiness that he finally got the mercenary that she was looking for. Though Cynthia didn't like getting cut off like that but seeing how pale Emann Wells was, she quietly retreated back in her room and hurriedly fixed herself at a minimum amount.

Then she followed Emann Wells who was nervously walking right next to her.

"Just what happened that you're acting so scared like that?"

"The Merc in the rumors is bad news!! Bad news I tell you!! I just saw a a 4 to 5 meter large gryphon get swatted like a fly!! Like a FLY!!!"

Emann Wells emphasized the word "fly" like it was really important. Cynthia sighs and shruggs it off saying "Hmph, even I can do that with magic"

"Magic my ass!! That guy just used a damn big sword!! Look, I know the head honcho wants us to deal with the new abyss gate but we can't recruite this guy!! He's a lose cannon!!"

Now Cynthia Locks McGuiness was intrigued. If the rumors about this Merc was true and how Emann Wells was saying he swatted a gryphon like a fly, then it should be worth it recruiting him.

Then, as the two reached the lobby Emann Wells saw Buck fainted on the ground with his mouth foaming.

"Bucks!!" Emann Wells run to him in a hurry then asked the receptionists what happened. By they only said "He just suddenly fainted like that. We didn't know what happened". Then Emann Wells glanced at Vain, who was looking down on him with an indifferent look.

"What are you looking at? I didn't touch that old guy"

Vain sighed with a scoffed.

"Then, mind telling me why you were scaring my men?"

Cynthia Locks McGuiness was already in front of Vain with her arms crossed and her eyes glaring at Vain.

"You were the ones that wanted me here now you're asking that?"

"My, you've quite a mouth there. Should I train you to learn how properly talk to women?"

Nooo!!! What the hell is that woman doing?!!— Emann Wells was screaming in his mind as he watched Cynthia walked close to Vain. So close their noses nearly touch.

"Get away from me"

"My, my, afraid of a lady are w—"

*Boom!! Crash!!! Ka—blag!!!*  

"......."

Emann Wells was frozen on the stop. Cynthia Locks McGuiness, who was just standing there disappeared right after loud crashing noises entered his ears. There, Vain had his right foot raised like he just kicked something away.

Then right at the end of the lobby, across the devastation that was caused by that something that flew like a ball after getting kicked, was Cynthia. She was leaning against the wreckage of furniture with her eyes wide open, staring at the ceiling.

"KYAAAAAAA!!!!"

"!?"

It was the scream of the receptionists that snapped Emann Wells back to reality....

0