Reborn
80 4 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

"Hina I'm heading into town again."
My sister doesn't do much anymore, she breathes well and stays warm but cant speak or move at all.
About three years ago when i was fifteen she would be the one heading into town and doing the chores because shes the older one, it was shortly after we moved here but one day she collapsed and the land started raining less.
She has been like this ever since that day and its getting harder to find us food, I cant find work in town so all i can do is steal.
The only other option I have used is trading what little supplies i find in the field and forests far from where we live. The land seems to be dying and that meant our chances of survival are decreasing each week.
After a hour of walking I made it into the village and its packed with people, either merchant stalls with crowded groups or carriages and wondering townsman.
A small gathering of locals began talking behind my back whispering to try and mask their comments.
"Black robe again huh... why wont they leave? Its their curse killing us."
"I heard he killed his sister to preform the curse and keeps the rain away."
This is only a sample of the discrimination my sister and I receive in this stupid village. They have their hopes pegged on me being a witch, this is the not so creative story that follows our family to use for their misguided rage of our dying land.
This is why i wear large rope over my head to hide my face and hair, in this town my sister and I are considered 'cursed family' because the droughts happened so soon after us arriving here. Our pitch black hair and eyes also play part to this fantasy they have created.
This is why I have to steal, its for me and her to survive. After word got around that I'm from the cursed family its been cold treatment and worse. The only plus side is that nobody really tries anything on me cause they think I'll curse them.
I'd occasionally get mocked on my way home and they would try and steal our food so I had to start fighting. My bodies not built for fighting , I'm too skinny from the lack of food and i wasn't born that blessed either. Obviously this made things worse, hiding my identity makes things a little easier but not much. The days wear I'm seen as witch i cant sell anything so it's for the best.
As soon as the bread stands been left unattended I see my chance, ill have to snag one for Hina to eat as well. I dashed over and silently liberated two loafs.
Not even noticed huh? Well i guess they weren't that important were they, now I'll just get the other supplies. Luckily we're in a far out village, if we were closer to the main land the town would hire samurai for this kinda stuff.
I slipped the loafs under the robe and headed over to the next stall and swiftly rolled a apple into my sleeve while the merchant focused on the man next to me. Walking away I felt like there were eyes on me, was someone watching me?
Looking around it seemed like everyone was doing there own thing , maybe I was just imagining it... I mean I'v never been caught before, If i was it would be game over. To be safe I think I should get home, might be safe to back out today.
"Did you see that? The witch stole from that merchant."
"Seriously! He thinks he can steal our food and rain, i think we should get him back don't you?"
"You got a death wish? He's a witch he might be might be dangerous."
"Witch or not, it's still a scrawny kid. A scrawny kid who's messed with our village long enough don't you think? We get the boys together and there's nothing that kid can do!
"Sounds good to me, we just wanna survive. I'll get the gang and we'll take down the witch tonight."
After a bit of walking, the sun has began lowering as a group of rather rough looking villagers gathered long spears and set out after their prey.
I've been walking a while and I'm still feeling off, I cant shake this feeling of stares, my instincts don't lead me wrong. I'm gonna head to the forest and see If that will do it.
"You think the witch is on to us, maybe we should just run for him now and beat him to death. There's four of us and only one of him."
"Shut it, we're gonna go around the forest, I've seen his house before when travelling to the hills, its almost dark so it will be best to get to his house before he's there."
"Really, that's a lot more walking isn't it? Plus he might be twice as strong at night..."
The other members of the rough angry group all focused on him with their irritated glares.
"OK fine don't death stare me like that, lets head out boys and keep the spears low, its all pointless if he sees us."
The group of men made their way to the house and hid outside trying to listen in. They crouched quietly awaiting any sign of movement readying their ambush.
"Yo boys... look at the shadows in that room, he's in there, you said we'd get here first!"
One of the men smacks his hand in front of the man shouting to cover his mouth.
"You idiot ,keep your voice down, cant you take the hint. I don't know how he got here but it doesn't matter, everyone's here so lets get in there already. The witch dies tonight."
One of the men in the back of the group grabs at the man leading the ambush. he abruptly stops him from moving.
"Koga wait. We should rethink this shouldn't we, the boys a witch... If we go in stabbing and swinging he might hex us, we should deal with him in another way."
"Seriously you bringing this up now you coward, are your nerves getting the better of you?"
"No he's right Koga, we cant give him the advantage, who knows what type of witch craft will be awaiting us in this house."
All the men seemed to face Koga with a distressed face, it appears that there will was wavering.
Up to this point They had an image of a witch and then put that aside because of the appearance of a weak boy, now moments from the confrontation they began reverting to their passed fears.
"Fine you guys win, seeing as its night now he wont be coming outside anytime soon... Lets set it on fire."
"Yeah. Yeah, burn the witch."
Their faces switched to the evil grins as they emptied their supplies and lit torches, they placed them beside the wooden house. The men readied their spears in case the witch made an escape but after some time half the house was engulfed and nobody moved an inch.
A few more moments passed and the men went from shaking and nervous glares to unsatisfied expressions.
"Shouldn't he be running out or something?" , a man took a step forward while saying.
"I think we got him men... The witch is dead!"
The men lowered their spears and walked back to their village with a sense of accomplishment and pride.
The smoke of the burning house soon became visible from the forest as the intense crimson flames were covered by the heavy black smoke.
"Wait whats all this smoke? Wait the hou- HINA!!!!"
I sprang forward while dashing through the forest with only Hina in mind.
I approached the small house loosing its shape as it was being swallowed by the overpowering flames.
"No way, Hina im coming!"
Crackle. Crackle.
I leapt into the blazing infernos closing gap that was once a door, and dashed through the flames towards Hina's room. The flames surrounding Hina were seconds from consuming her before I grabbed her from her bed.
"Hina I'm sorry I'll get us out i swear...Hina?"
There was no pulse, i placed my ear against her chest but she wasn't breathing, the smoke from the surrounding fire must have choked her in her immobilized state. I held her dead body as the flames grew closer and closed my eyes.
...
The intense heat is gone and i don't feel Hina anymore, as i opened my eyes i was surrounded by open calm water and in front of me was a standing white shadow. He had no facial features other than a mouth and two circular eyes that were empty of detail, there was no detail on his body either, like a big outline...
"Wheres Hina, where am I?"
"Your dead."
"... wha-"
"I thought you'd know that from all the fire a second ago, that was a sad way to go. Of course your sister died before you, your bodies were burnt to crisps."
Hina... no way. I promised her, I should have went to the house. I should have saved her, but i couldn't do anything for her. Dammit!!!
"Ay you sad right? Well let me make things better."
Better? what is he talking about, let me mourn.
"My name is Ko and I am born from mana."
"Mana?"
"Yes, mana is the building blocks to everything, think of it as a power. You see humans only use 1 percent of mana to sustain their own life and move around and such, those who have exceptional strengths most probably use 2 percent."
Why is he telling me this, how does it all relate, anyhow he seems really eager about me for some reason.
"You humans die from age because of your 1 percent consumption, but all humans hold potential."
"Potential?"
"Yep, that other 99 percent."
"How does one use it?"
Why is he making me ask, isn't he supposed to be telling me these things.
"Demons and deities! You know, gods; like those ones you tell stories of or pray to. When a humans mana begins pouring out their body, their bodies have to adapt so they take form of their power and become the embodiment of their emotion and wants."
"How come I've never heard of this?"
"Well their not always visible, also there are people for that, you'll see soon enough."
People? What does he mean soon enough? Can I really trust this guys words?
"As I said before mana is the building blocks, so what the person builds is up to them, in a demons case its what they want that they embody and it becomes everything they are. Almost as if it takes over their everything."
"And deities?"
Ko smirked when i said this, i felt like I walked into a trap.
"Mana can be used for basically anything if your powerful enough, so deities use their power to control certain aspects of life and order as they see fit. Most become deities who control the order of lands by controlling weather and propensities. "
"What about the others?"
His smirk grew again, with each question i was being pulled more into his plan.
"Some become deities of war."
War huh? I figured as much, this world is all about how good off you are. The trash like me and Hina had no chance.
"Deities of war control the order of wars and conflict among man and other deities as well."
Deities fight? So i guess they're not so inhuman as i thought.
"You said the power they have come from leaked potential, so how does one release this potential? "
"Oh that's simple, there are two ways for that to happen. For a person to leak out mana they would have to be in the presence of powerful mana when their strong emotions arise."
"Is that so... Well then whats the second?"
"The other way is for them to be awakened!"
Awakened?
"As i said before i am a born of mana and as a child of mana i have no physical body therefore i have no connection to humans other than the role i was made for. I unlock their potentials, and you have quite a high potential."
"Are you planning to make me some deity of war or something?"
He might even want me to be a demon of some sort, he did say he has no body and there must be a reason for that.
"Not quite. Listen to what i have to offer."
At this moment his grin grew to its full capacity, as if it would go behind his head soon. What is this thing planning. Whatever his intentions are, I'v just walked straight into his trap.
"Offer huh."
"The first deity I ever created has began planning against me and the natural order of life, normally it wouldn't be a problem but now he has begun recruiting other deities and manipulating demons into attacking lands. It seems he's aiming for the title of ruler of the world."
"Seriously, people like that actually exist?"
"Well its quite possible, if he gains rule of all the territories he can collect the mana of all those people and the deities he recruited to gain the power to control the natural order at will."
"Like the god of all?"
"Pretty much, kid."
"You said you were created for this role, so then who's your creator?"
"Hahaha!"
His laugh is kinda annoying Its like he's trying it for the first time.
"Interesting observation child, but even i can't tell you that. I have a purpose and nothing else has been made clear to me. But because you peek my interest so much I'll let you in on a secret."
Hmmmm? What could this guy tell me more of.
"I'm quite bored!"
"...Eh?"
"Iv been doing this for centuries and all deities and demons seem too predictable now, this job of mine is too boring. Born of mana, all i do is watch as humanity goes on but never have any real influence. I have to keep things this way, but I've been thinking lately. "
The shadow appeared in front of my face in less than a second with no time for reaction at all.
"How about some fun in this boring world?"
He might be insane after all.
"You said that first deity is challenging your role as peace keeper type thing, so isn't he good if you want some fun?"
"Nope. There's no fun when one side dominates the rest, that's where my deal comes in mind. Become a deity and stop him and the other who follow him. Do that and I will give you what you desire."
"My desire? Is that one of your powers too?"
"In this case it is, my power may be limited to mana but I am the only being able to use the full extent of mana and all its capabilities."
"I assume this includes bringing back my sister?"
"Indeed it does."
There's that smirk again, like an open book he lays out his intentions on that empty face. He knows that I'll take the deal, but what could I lose from this.
"Alright, you have a deal, Ko."

2