Chapter 9: forest guide
3 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

I wonder if he would find it weird if I didn't eat in front of him. He should be getting hungry shouldn't he, unlike him, I have mana to be able to prevent hunger.

"Hey Elfan, aren't you hungry yet, we haven't been walking too long but you have been here all day."

Even if he is hungry I don't know what we could do to feed him. From when I entered the forest to now, I still haven't come across an edible food source or creature other than demon.

I doubt the water would be different from any other part of the forest either seeing as it runs straight through.

"Hungry...Nope."

Could he just be polite in not wanting to inconvenience me?

"You don't have to hold back, I don't mind us taking a detour."

"I'm alright without eating, I'm having too much fun to eat right now!"

He's having fun? We have only been walking for a bit, he's really just odd...

"Fine then, but seriously we have to be making some progress right? It will be dark soon enough-"

"Hhhmmm? What's wrong, why did you stop?"

I can't be mistaken, I've been tracking our movement as we proceeded and there is no doubt we were headed straight forward. Then why... Why do I see that tree again?

Without words, Kiramaru steadily walked over to the moss-covered tree bending over in a hunched figure. He placed his hand over the tree and after making contact with the wood he was certain, they had passed this tree before.

"Elfen, we need to come up with a plan of action right now."

"What's the matter with you suddenly, you got all serious..."

"If we are traveling in circles then it's confirmed that the fog changes anyone's inside perception of direction. Although at one point it seemed like I was making progress and covered a lot of ground."

"Now that it's starting up again we could be stuck in this area for who knows how long."

"I'm sure that can't be big bro."

Big bro?

"Without a doubt, we were here before and I don't plan to be again."

What could I use...I can't even try sensing out the fog's origin because of how distorted it makes everything.

It gives off that feeling of when you stare at the sun or bright light and everything becomes fuzzy, but with your sense of direction.

It's definitely a good way to confuse an enemy, the question is why they do this in the first place. Why the fog...

"Big bro you went serious again, do you need to poop?"

"No, I don't!"

Think...think...How can I dispel this fog? What if I push out mana to fill the surrounding area with mine and get rid of the fog's traces. No that can't work, I don't have nearly enough capacity of mana to be able to compete with this fog.

Should I dig...In theory, digging a tunnel out of this area is like a coin...It could either work or we might just end up outside the forest entirely, deprived of resources before we get out, or even encounter something underground.

Wait where's-

"Come on big bro!"

Elfen!

"Elfen where did you go, get back here!"

Kiramaru seemed too lost in thought to notice Elfen wander away from him.

The more Kiramaru panicked in an attempt to locate Elfen the more he was revealed to be trapped. Unable to move from his position because if he did he could possibly be lost and not find Elfen again, whereas if he didn't move he might become even more distanced from Elfen.

At that moment Kiramaru experienced the old saying of being stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Something's coming. Is it Elfen or a demon?

"Big bro I let's keep walk, we're losing daytime. Don't you want to find the person you were searching for?"

Appeared suddenly behind Kiramaru was Elfen, not only did he not sense him walk over but it was even more surprising that he found his way to Kiramaru through the fog.

"Elfen."

"Yeah..."

(Why does big bro have such a concerned look on his face?)

"Elfen...Do you see the fog?"

He might be the key to our escape in the fog if my theory is correct...Elfen cant see the fog, I don't know why but he is different somehow.

"No, I don't."

"I see, my guess was right then. So why haven't you said anything until now, I have mentioned the fog more than once."

"I just wanted to go with you..."

"Go with me?"

Elfen looked down to the ground as the expression on his face started turning darker as if all hope was slowly draining from his face.

"I thought that If I said I didn't see it you would hate me for it and tell me to leave you alone, I just wanted to go with you...I'm so-"

"Hahaha! That was all! Sheesh, you should have said something sooner, at least now we have a way to navigate forward."

"You don't have to worry about me getting angry with you. Let's move on now ok."

Elfen looked up in surprise to Kiramaru's hand on his head. The warm embrace he felt from his reassuring words and warm touch left Elfens face smiling bigger than it ever had before.

"Yes!"

He must have had it pretty rough to be in this type of state, I can see why he ran away now. I wish I couldn't say that I can relate but maybe it's a good thing.

As long as I know how terrible that suffering was, I'll never turn my back on someone like me.

-

"Seeing as you will lead, do you remember where the opposite of where we started is?"

Elfen pointed his finger to the direction as he scanned the area around them,

"It's this way but there's a river up ahead as well, we can get water and food from there!"

"That's not going to happen, the river and most things in this forest produce poison. You shouldn't eat or even touch them."

"Huh? I haven't seen anything like that since I got here! Is it really that crazy here big bro?"

0