0.19
36 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fred finally let go of Januar after they arrived at the abandoned fire escape staircase, the only actual private spot he could think of in this school. Although it was a bit vexing that Januar had discovered this place before him.

Now that they weren't in front of an audience anymore and his initial frustration had faded, Frederic only awkwardly stood next to the quietly sobbing Januar. 

He wasn't quite sure what do to next, he had spoken with such confidence earlier, sticking up for Januar. But now realization sunk in, he had offended the majority of the teaching staff for a guy he didn't even like.

While thinking about how troublesome his future school life will be, occasional sobs still fell into Frederic's ears.

Finally, after his annoyance towards Januar outweighed his awkwardness, he said in the friendliest voice he could muster:

“Stop crying, if he really calls your parents, I will help you clear things up.”

'-So, now be quiet, your crying is ticking me off.' was what he wanted to add, but he stopped himself just in time.

That was already the best Frederic had to offer, he had never comforted anyone before.

There was simply no time for him to bother with someone else's problems.

But it at least seemed to work because the sobbing stopped abruptly.

Januar looked at Frederic, his face still wet with tears and snot. The only words that could describe Januar's current expression were 'stunned' and 'perplexed'. He remained like this for a moment, but finally averted his gaze again and murmured an even more awkward 'thank you'.

Frederic froze upon hearing this and replied in the same fashion:

“You’re welcome?”

After this exchange, neither of them said anything, just looking into nowhere, thinking about what would happen next.

Suddenly Januar’s ComWatch rang, disturbing this peaceful(?) silence and startling the both of them. Instantly, Januar’s buried fear and anxiety skyrocketed and he thrust his arm away from himself and, incidentally, towards Frederic.

Frederic felt like the other was a bit dumb, there was no way for his parents to be contacted or contact him from within the ‘Tower’. Still, he didn't forget to shoot a curious glance at the contact's name.

With a shocked expression on his face, Fred hastily pressed accept on Januar’s behalf.

The ComWatch connected with a short cracking noise, before a voice sounded from the other side.

"Hello, Januar?"

The other person waited for a moment but after he didn't receive an answer for some time, he continued:

"Your exam should be over now, right, kid? I just wanted to tell ya that our offer still stands, in case you were too embarrassed to call yourself."

Both boys on the receiving end were too stunned to speak.

Uncharacteristically for Fred, he didn't have the same calm expression as always, instead asking excitedly: "What offer?"

He didn't care that technically this conversation wasn't meant for him.

It was someone from 'Purge' that called! He wouldn't have believed it if the ID wasn't something that the Tower assigned automatically, and so, couldn't be faked, merely changed with some extremely rare and expensive items.

"...", there was a short surprised silence from the other side, but soon Sebas' voice sounded again, "And who is this?"

Frederic scrambled to answer this question.

"Hello, I'm...," Fred halted, he glanced at Januar, and then continued hesitantly, "...Jan's friend?"

Januar also stared at Fred with bafflement, momentarily forgetting his intentions of quickly ending this call, a strange stew of emotions brewing inside him.

First, he won the duel, then he was bullied for some even more intensely than usual when suddenly his former main bully chimed in to save the day, and now that bully said he was his friend.

Of course, Januar knew that it was a lie, but it still felt strange, especially since he had never seen Fred this nervous and excited before.

"Oh, so your Januar's friend..., well, the name is Sebas, I'm from Purge. You probably already heard about how Januar and I met, after his kidnapping a few weeks ago."

Kidnapping?

Frederic wasn't Januar's real friend, obviously, he wouldn't know about this 'kidnapping'.

But it didn't prevent him from inquiringly looking at Januar.

This consequently caused Januar to become restless on the spot, receiving such a stare from his former tormentor really wasn't fun. He really wanted to run away and hide now that this secret had been revealed and by Frederic of all people.

Unfortunately, there was no escape, Fred still had one hand clasped around Januar's wrist with the ComWatch.

"But it seems like Januar didn't tell you about the training offer I made him. We previously didn't decide on a date because Januar was busy with his exams, but he still didn't reach out even after some time, so I thought I would call instead."

Thunderstruck could barely begin to describe what Frederic felt at the moment and he fell silent again.

Purge?

Training offer?

Was he going crazy?

Fred saw Januar guiltily squirm under his sharp gaze, before either of them could answer the Purge member another voice joined this mess of an exchange.

"When would that training start?"

Fred and Januar turned around to face the source of the new voice.

Sophie slipped almost naturally into the conversation as she stepped down the stairs, it was unknown when she had arrived. Her eyes were shining brightly as she rushed towards them and came to a halt next to Frederic.

"And you are?"

"I'm also Januar's friend."

The lie slipped almost naturally from Sophie's lips as if she had actually been buddies with Januar for a very long time.

Two speechless and baffled pairs of eyes looked at Sophie, although one of them also contained some fear.

"Haha, I wonder how many more friends will appear before the actual recipient answers?" Sebas laughed, but this caused the situation on the other side to stiffen.

Januar felt the expectations of both his bullies fall heavily on his shoulders, the pressure was far more than he could handle, so he buckled almost instantly.

"Hello..."

Another laugh sounded from the watch.

"So you finally answered, kid! Well, how is it? Do you have time tomorrow?"

The pressure rose even further and Januar almost began to cry again, this time out of desperation.

Januar gulped the little salvia he had in his dry throat and slowly answered.

"Yes...?"

Sebas didn't seem to notice Januar's strangeness. In reality, he just assumed that it was caused by the other's overwhelming emotions at the moment.

Sigh, to be a teenager again...

"Great, in that case, I'll pick you up in front of your apartment complex after school tomorrow!"

"Of course, your friends can come too."

This was the only sentence Fred and Sophie needed and wanted to hear.

They both silently rejoiced in their hearts and obediently offered their thanks.

Januar didn't feel as great, but he was in no position to refuse Sebas' offer.

"Then, see ya tomorrow!"

Sebas and his 2 new 'friends' gave their pleasant farewells and the call ended.

Which just meant that Januar was now alone with his tormentors.

Silence spread among the three 'friends'.

Fred looked at Sophie awkwardly. While Sophie had an unconcerned and happy expression on her face.

"How come you're here?"

Sophie instantly softened her expression to a flattering smile.

"Well, I didn't have any reason to stay there any longer," Sophie shrugged her shoulders, "I would much rather hang out with you... two."

The last word sounded like it was reluctantly added (which it probably was) and Sophie's smile stiffened for but a second.

Fred took note of that as well, but he didn't blame her one bit.

Sophie was a person who buttered up to the strong and went with pretty much whatever they said as long as it didn't cross her bottom line. Although he had yet to find out where the latter lay.

This aspect of Sophie actually puzzled Fred somewhat.

As it stood, Sophie didn't need to follow the strong to survive or to gain benefits, because she belonged to them as well!

She didn't usually show it, and occasionally concealed some of her strength altogether, buttering up to him and Leopold. Even though, she was actually the second-best student in their year.

Well, except for Januar, but they had yet to figure out where to place him in the current ranking.

This also belonged to the several causes for Sophie's conflicting emotions. 

Previously they all thought of Januar as a nobody, easy to bully, but that had suddenly changed in just three days.

 

 

Thank you for reading!!

 

 

 

 

 

 

3