Chapter 23 – Caring for The Weak
1.3k 13 44
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 Waiting through the night… What a boring situation.

 “Gahah! Koff! Koff!

 Although… All of this coughing is getting me worried, AND pissed. It’s been roughly 2 hours since I bought the slave, returned to the inn, and tried to sleep. Honestly, her coughing had become even more severe, after I took her out of that cell. And not only that, the Burned Lungs of her Status Condition got me the shivers.

 Kasumi erected a barrier around her and Amara, so they don’t listen to the girl’s coughing. She asked if I wanted one too, but I refused.

 “All of her Resistance skills are high. Not only that, she has Bad Formation. Probably her backbones?”

 She had some kind of bumps on her back. Not only that, it was exactly on her shoulder blade area. Let’s see here. I grab the MPD, and look at her, I see her STATUS once again. This time, I tapped on the Species Section, to get a rough understanding about her Species, which is Eagle-Kin.

Species: Eagle-Kin

It is one of the many Beast-Kin on the World of Oros, to the west continent.

Eagle-Kin, are said to be one the descendants of the Valkyries, fighters of the Gods.

Usually, they have wings on their backs, around their shoulder blades. Upon reaching a certain age, they are able to use the feathers of their wings as projectiles.

There are no problems with such an act though. The Eagle-Kin, also have Regeneration, which allows them to regenerate their feathers without much of a trouble.

 “Interesting. What about her Status Condition?”

 To be honest, I’ll probably be playing doctor these next few days, only to make this girl recover from all of these problems. First, her Burned Lungs.

Abnormal Status Condition: Burned Lungs

It is a condition, where the one suffering from, has it’s lungs burned.

It is caused by receiving direct Fire Spells at the users body, and breathing such hot air while receiving as such. It also can lead to very strong diseases.

To heal against such a thing, the one suffering from it, needs to drink HP potions, or be a target of Healing Magic.

 “Really, really bad. Just curiosity… What about bad formations?”

Abnormal Status Condition: Bad Formation

It is a condition where the one suffering from it, has malformation of some bones.

Such Conditions can, and will lead to strong pain, dangerous diseases, and internal organs being shifted from place.

To heal against such a thing, the one suffering from it needs to remove the malformed bones, and heal it with Healing Magic.

 “I see. [Healing Magic] huh? It’s part of [Holy Magic], right?”

 Looking through the descriptions, it was… and at the same time, it wasn’t. Simply put, [Healing Magic]was very broad, ranging from [Holy Magic], to even [Light Magic] and [Restoration Magic]. For me though, I couldn’t acquire [Holy Magic], and [Light Magic] was too expensive.

 But for [Restoration Magic]? I could acquire, for quite cheap SPs.

 “Hunh. Only 500 SP? Why thank you. And put on Lvl 6 as well.”

 With the cost being 500 SP, and putting it on Lvl 6, the price jumps to 3.000 SP. I could put it on even higher Tiers, but didn’t know what could happen. So I chose this.

 ◙ SKILL RESTORATION MAGIC CANNOT BE ACQUIRED! SKILL RESTORATION, HAS BEEN ACQUIRED INSTEAD. THE SKILL RESTORATION LVL 6, HAS BEEN ACQUIRED!◙

 “Wha?”

 Looking at the MPD’s screen, I was surprised. The Magic Skill… couldn’t be acquired? Why? With that question in my mind, the MPD once again stated why.

Title – Technomaniac

Title awarded to those who are Tech Freaks.

Special Effects

Any skill related to building and creation, correlated with [Technomagic], are exempt from any status condition effects.

NEW EFFECT

Skills Related to Magic are impossible to acquire. Instead, variations of the skill, without the magic part, will be acquired instead. Alas, it still utilizes mana to fuel them.

 “Hgn?!”

 I held a shout just now. IF! IT USES MANA TO FUEL THEM! THEN IT STILL IS MAGIC! DUMBAAAAAAS! Let’s not think about it. Nope. This system is completely stupid, and don’t make any fucking sense!

 “Fuuu~ Alright. If this girl had wings… then maybe I can recreate them?”

 If the girl had her wings in the past(which I’m sure as hell she did), then might as well create new ones for her. How do I create wings anyway? That was an issue. Since I didn’t have any kind of knowledge on this kind of area.

 Getting out of bed, I walk towards the table, and with a lantern, paper and a pencil(it was on my bag), I start to draw wing models.

 The sketches started with me imagining the arm of a human, as the wing’s arm. Which helped me a little. I even drew the feathers, just to make things easy. But alas, it wasn’t going all good.

 Most of the wings I had in mind were all but bat wings. Bat wings are cool, by the way. I love such designs. Anyway, the problem wasn't the feathers, but the wing bones. I remember seeing an image with the anatomy of… what was it again? 3 Wing styles, and the arm of a human.

 The 3 wing styles were that of a Pteranodon, the other was a feathery style, and the last one, a bat style. But they all had different shaped bones, and even some of them had details the others didn’t.

 I did have the idea of making the wings like a backpack, and also have two helicopter propellers. But as soon as I thought that… I discarded the idea. But I’ll use it for another thing. In the future. In a few days that is.

 I kept going with the ideas. I would propose them for the girl, which still didn’t have a name yet, and see her reaction.

 With the sketches, I’d made the main bone, with high conductivity mana ores, so she can channel her mana through them, and propel herself up. She probably used mana to fly. I think. As for the feathers, I would make them out of a synthetic material. With my [Artificial Element] skills, it would go very well. Maybe. Probably. Hopefully.

 I’d made the wings, with 3 sections. The first section was the metal part, where everything would be glued together(to a certain degree). The second section would maintain in place bigger feathers with great resistance to impact, as a defense mechanism. And the last section, would hold artificial feathers, but that she could use them as projectiles, since she had the [Feather Artillery] Skill. I also would put a [Restoration] effect on the third section, to regenerate the feathers launched.

 The wings had some space in between the sections. As for those, I would make some decoration feathers, and a special effect, if the girl would be in danger. Well, with all of that done, I then started working on the other project that I had in mind.

 With more papers in hand, I started my second project. Well, I think I’m working quite eagerly on these projects, huh? First it was Raijin, then Gemetzel, Zerstörer, and now 2 more projects. Did I ever sleep after each of them? Just Raijin if I’m not mistaken.

 The new project was a hover-board. Yep! It was a hover-board! I got this idea after the fight against the Flying Chimera. I would want to build other things, but I settled with this one. And with this girl with me now, she would like to fly as soon as possible, or even spend her entire time flying, as I’m sure she would.

 So, the Hover-Board was the only option I had. I would settle down for a motorcycle, but let’s put that aside for now. The motorcycle was more of a dream I had, then an object of transportation, if anything else.

 Anyway, the Hover-Board would be, like I said, a board, much like a snowboard, with all of the systems inside of that.

 First of all, it needed to be fast, like it or not. The fuel of it, would of course, be Mana. On the top of the board, there would be 2 spots, where I would put my feet, and lock them in place, so as not to fall from it, while riding it.

 “Now, how to make it float? And accelerate? And maintain altitude?”

 The size of the board, around 30 centimeters wide, and 120 centimeters in length. As for the rest? Problems kept coming up.

 First of all, floating. The main part of a ‘Hover-Board’ was, of course, the circuits. Unfortunately, there wasn’t a way, for now at least, for me to make a Hover-Board right now. I mean, it still was a Hover-Board, just with a different visual.

 Putting the SS-ranked core of the Flying Chimera on the table, carefully to not break the table, and not wake up anyone, I’d made some experiments.

 Making some tests with the core’s waves of mana, I was able to make a certain design. Basically, the Hover-Board would have four helicopter propellers. Two that were bigger, on the back of the board, around 90 centimeters in diameter, and 2 smaller ones, around 30 centimeters in diameter at the front.

 They were located diagonally to the front and back of the board. Also, I created a double thruster on the back, to push the speed forward. All of them would be powered by mana, but all of the system would have the SS-ranked core to make it work.

 To put it into simple terms, the Hover-Board would use the same system as the wheels version. It would have a gyroscope, Tilt and speed sensor(based on the amount of mana poured onto it). Lastly, the entire Logic Board, would have the SS-ranked core as the processor(to help in understanding all the ‘flying’ thingy), and also some batteries, as an emergency situation.

 Now, the most complicated part of this whole Hover-Board. The materials for its construction. Lightness and resistance was the main point, else it might not work out.

 “Light and resistant. The most proper one would be Mythril. But… What else can I use?”

 I had normal ores, such as copper, iron, gold, silver, bronze(made as an experiment), steel, titanium, and tungsten. Tungsten has too much mass. It would be impossible. Steel too, it would have more weight. Gold and Silver are out of question. They are light, but not resistant.

 “Only the option of Titanium remains. What if I… Mix Titanium and Mythril? Is it possible?”

 Looking at the MPD, I try to pry into that. It is possible, and all of that is thanks to the [Artificial Element] skills. That helped a lot, and I was able to mix the two. I had some difficulties, but in the end, it all worked out. I had exactly 8 ingots in my hands.

 “What do I call this? Wait. Should I even name it?”

 Shrugging that, I simply called Titanium-Mythril alloy. Much easier, and no problems about it. Also, since the weight was almost none, I would use a coat of Mondálium to protect the entire board. Just a coat, and also an enchantment of impact resistance.

 “Since Mondálium already has high resistance against both magic and physical attacks, it’s more compatible with resistant enchantments.”

 So, with the materials already chosen, I started to make the circuits. Like a logic board, finishing it was quite easy. The part I thought to be the hardest, turned out to be ready in mere 5 minutes. Just as a matter of fact, I will omit all the failures.

 “Phew! It’s almost morning, huh?”

 The light of the morning sun was entering through some gaps on the window. Kasumi and Amara were… What? Amara is coiled around Kasumi! While their heads are basically one beside the other! So cute!

 Getting up, and petting the two, I walk towards the inn’s restaurant. I was quite eager this time around. Why? Because I would make some food! Of course!

 “Ya want to cook?” I nod. “For that slave too?”

 “What’s the problem about that?”

 “Nothing. Just different.”

 He simply explained that some people buy slaves, use them as objects, and when they wear out, they get rid of them, and buy new ones. Doesn't that make the money you spent basically useless?

 With that thought, I walked to the kitchen, and started by preparing both the Mythril Serpent’s meat, the Griffin’s meat, the Chimera’s meat(considered a delicacy, don’t know why), and the Crab Snake’s meat as well. Also some fish. I asked the owner for it.

 “Cooking time!”

 Unfortunately, the delicacy meat was all made like those rare steaks you can find in barbecues. But in my case, I would make karaage. Not all of them, of course, only the Mythril Serpent’s meat.

 It was soft, and good to make the Karaage. The Griffin’s meat was useful as a steak, really. As for the Chimera’s meat… that didn't have any other way than a barbecue. Instead though, I used some tomatoes, making a Bolognese sauce. I also made some pasta to accompany the sauce.

 I also cooked rare styles, and made some spicy ones, just for Kasumi. As for Amara, I made some salads, and fish as well. For the fish though, I’d made Karaage, some sashimi, since there was rice(thankfully it isn’t livestock food), and after finishing, the owner made a taste test.

 His eyes bulged, and he glanced at me. I sighed, and gave him some of the meat(of course, the Crab Snake meat, not the Alpha one), and the recipes for the sauces. I also got some bread for free thanks to that. Hail to the food, baby!

 After that, I Digi-Scanned all the food(I could do this btw), and brought it to my room.

 Reaching the room, the girl was already awake. I could see her trembling, and shifting her eyes around the room.

 “Hey. You finally awake.” I say that, nonchalantly, as she shivers at my voice. “Aaah… I’m not gonna eat you, you know?”

 Walking towards the two sleeping beauties, which by now are all over the bed, I shake them, to wake them up for breakfast.

 “C’mon. It’s breakfast time. And I made toda-”

 ““We’re Awake!””

 “Seriously?”

 I shake my head in exasperation, and the two stretch themselves, and crawl off the bed.

 “You too.”

 Pointing my gauntlets to the table(I took them off while cooking okay?), and some of the plates appeared. I separated them between spicy ones, natural food, and the ones I’d made normally.

 Kasumi and Amara started devouring the food quite heartily, and the girl was… Still. She didn’t move an inch off of the bed. She was looking towards the food eagerly, but wouldn’t move.

 “Can you move and grab some food already? It’s making me pissed.”

 Holding my temples, I gesture for the girl to eat already. She grabs one of the bowls, one with fish Karaage, rice, bread, and some vegetables. And, when noticing that I would wait for her to start eating, she took a small bite… and started wolfing down everything on the bowl.

 Out of curiosity, I put certain things in the food. Nothing poisonous, mind you. Just… supplements. Well, the girl needs them, since she’s just skin and bones. They were focusing on stabilizing her body, so she could walk and do things normally. Oh, and to enhance her natural healing too.

 How did I do that? Well, with the [Restoration] Skill I got from before. What was this skill anyway? It had notable capabilities, to be honest. Of course, you wouldn’t acquire them just by getting the skill, but by raising its Levels, and having at least some understanding of what they really do.

 The skill had exactly 7 things to focus on. And they were… quite OP to say the least. The 4 starters of the list, were the most important ones, to me at least.

 {Curing}, {Healing}, {Object State Manipulation}, and {Physical Restoration}.

 {Curing}, was able to restore people to an original state, prior to any kind of modification. Say that someone contracted some illness. I could restore the person to the state they were before, if! I could reach it in less than one day. Shit, one Day! It’s too small of a time. It should be more, in my humble opinion.

 {Healing}, is the usual thing you can see in [Light and Holy Magic]. Restore any kind of living being to their health, curing damage or withered organisms, wounds, on and so on. Of course, all of that depended on my knowledge, without it, it would be basically useless.

 {Object State Manipulation}. Consider it as a Time Manipulation in a bottle. I could restore, or wither, to put in simple words, anything. Anything! Of course, it had limits. I could do that for about 1 minute straight. No more, no less. I might create a Relifact without the time limit.

 Now, {Physical Restoration}… I will quote the Skill’s Description: The user can repair and return any broken or damaged non-living object to its primal state, no matter how long it has been broken or how damaged it was. I’m now a walking ruin restorer! WHAT THE FUCK?!

 “Aaah…”

 I sigh, finishing my breakfast. And the girl… is still eyeing the food, while licking her lips.

 “Sigh… You can eat, you know? That was prepared with such intention.” How many times did I sighed just this morning?

 She nods, and starts to eat all the food I’d made. And since she’s just wolfing down the food, sometimes not even munching, she ended up choking with it. Seriously? Taking a cup with water, I gave it to her. She drinks hastily, and… is back devouring the food. Where all of this goes in that small body of hers?

 All of the food had 2 functions on them. First, healing. Secondly, help in putting her wing bones in a way to make it easy to remove. With those two ready, I would be able to help her even more. Who would remove the wing bones? Well, me.

 While she was eating, I’d made some of the tools to take the bones off of her back. Would everything go right? Dunno. Would all be good? Dunno. I could make a big mistake? Surely. I’m pretty much fucked up. Great.

 She was now at the table, while Kasumi and Amara were laying on the bed, lazing around. While I was creating the tools, with Mythril and Hihi’irokane, the girl stopped eating. Hearing her stop, and pointing out she was at the table… It was like 5 dots appeared above my head, and I instantly remembered. The sketches were on the table… And she probably saw them.

 “Mas… ter…”

 Looking towards her… she was crying… Fuck. I don’t know how to deal with this. Sighing, I got up and gave her some headpats. She was crying quite strongly. Well, I think I would too, if I lose something really important to me, that it would impact my life as a whole.

 I got some handkerchiefs for her, and she wiped her tears and snot. And she was back at eating. Now that I think about it… I did make the wings, but… How will I connect them to her back?

 While she returned to eat, I took the MPD, and scanned her body once again. An X-ray(didn’t know it had this function!) appeared on the screen. It showed what were the defective bones.

 Basically, the two bones comprising her arms and forearms tried to regenerate, but instead, they grew into a V shape, and when the forearms tried to expand, they locked on her shoulder blades, and the flesh regenerated as well, embedding the bones on her back.

 There wasn’t a way to help her, if not by taking the bones out, and creating something to put her wings back in place. I see.

 I took the sketches off the table, and started drawing some kind of shoulder blade, made out of metal. The shoulder blades would connect directly with the bone normal blades, -and!- adapt themselves with the body.

 “I’ll need a sample of that slime.”

 Running towards the docks, I searched frantically for any remnant of the slime. It wouldn’t be possible to simply make all of that show, and not left behind something like that.

 I looked at the stake the woman was latched onto, finding just a few drops, less than 5 ML. Then, I jumped through the buildings(thankfully my status had suffered a boost), and reached where the ballista the adventurer shot was. There, it had enough. 10 ML. It’s better to be worth it.

 Back at the inn, I was analyzing the slime’s sample. Thankfully, it was weakened, so it wouldn’t be able to overpower what I was about to do. ‘What would you do, then?’ I would Reconfigure this thing.

 The [Restoration] skill had yet another effect. {Reconfiguration}. And the best thing? Different from [Object State Manipulation], I could use this on living beings.

 So, I started by reconfiguring the slime’s capabilities of taking control. Because he had such skill. After, -what?- 3 hours of full working, the 10 ML of slime was now a mere black liquid inside of a test tube.

Adaptive Solution
A solution made out by destroying the individuality of a Symbiotic Slime.
This is nothing but a solution to be used in alchemy. It can be used with highly
mana conductivity metals, making the use of Relics, Artifacts, and Relifacts more easy to handle.

 “I gotta say… I’m an idiot sometimes.”

 (Did you notice this just now?)

 “Ouch. Words hurt, you know?”

 And with this done… I could make Symbiotic Metal.

 Taking some of the Titanium-Mythril alloy, and the Adaptive Solution, and with the same magic circle of the alloys, I started to make them. I used 2 ingots of Titanium-Mythril, and 5 ML for each ingot. The ingot changed from a bright silvery hue, to a… dark-gray tinge.

 Finishing this, I put more food on the table, since it was already noon. My speed of working is better now.

 With the three girls eating, I started changing the shape of the Symbiotic Metal, and made some circuits. I asked for the girl to give me a drop of her blood, and she did as I said, without a care for the world. In fact, she pierced her own hand, dropping blood on a small bowl(it was clean by the way).

 With that amount of blood(roughly 50 ML), I made the circuits. Yes, I made the circuits off of blood. Blood is a very good catalyst you know?

 To be honest… I spent 3 days… preparing the Symbiotic Metal, AND the wings. When she saw what it looked like, she… started to cry again. Seriously?! Can’t you be… WHATEVER!

 And I started to make the procedures. Thankfully!

 (Are you seriously trying to help a girl, with no knowledge, of what the hell you’re about to do?)

 Kasumi’s mother, Yuki, started to talk out of nowhere! Why now of all times?!

 “Well? Do I have any option, milady? Because there’s no living soul in this damn city that will do this.”

 (Sigh… I’ll guide you in what I can. The rest is in your hands.)

 “How reliable.”

 And we started. With the girl laying on the bed, I moved the knife with the utmost precision, cutting the malformed bones. With grunts of pain, the girl was holding her trembling, and doing what she could, just to not interfere with the ‘Surgery’. Yes, I didn’t have access to anesthesia, unfortunately. And her [Pain Immunity] skill wasn't doing much to help her now.

 With the Hihi’irokane covering the Mythril edges, it was super easy to cut the bones off. It took almost an hour to take off one of the wing bones. When I finished, I breathed in, and out. With doing this one time, the next would be more easy. And the Title of [Focused Freak] helped even more.

 The second wing bone took mere 20 minutes for me to take off. How the hell did I manage this?! After finishing that, I took the two Symbiotic Plates, and put them directly into her shoulder blades.

 “This is gonna hurt… A lot. So… Suck it up.”

 Kasumi and Amara glared at me in disbelief. Funny how a fox can make that kind of expression. With the metal on her shoulder blades, I infused some mana on the place, using {Healing} to make the Symbiotic Slime, and her body to return to normal. And what do you know? It worked. The Symbiotic Metal formed some kind of connection to the future limb. It tried to recreate her wing bones!

 “And… it’s done.”

 I fell on the other bed, and with a sigh of relief, I took the MPD, and checked the girl’s condition. Hm? She has… a new Title. [Cybernetic Valkyrie]?

 “Master… It doesn’t hurt.”

 “Yeah. I would be putting on the wings now, but… my mind is quite the mess, so. Phew. Good night.”

 Dude, I sleep more because of mental exhaustion than anything else.

Thank YOU for reading~ See you next time~

44