Chapter 4 – A Tour on The Forest
3.3k 15 87
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

 At the guild, I just chose the quests with bigger than normal rewards. But since I didn’t arrive there within time, most of them were gone, even for D-rank. Guess it didn’t have many quests anyway.

 The quests available were quests to get rid of pests. Horned Rabbits that were destroying the farms, and, the pattern in fantasy worlds, Goblins. And of course, Collection Quests.

 That was a total of 4 quests. One to deal with the Rabbits, one for the Goblins, and the collection Quests were for a Purple flower, and honey.

 “So it’s right around here.”

 I was at the farm on the outside of the walls, where the Rabbit’s quest was specified. Finding one of the farmers, I asked him to guide me where the Rabbits were last seen. There, I didn’t find anything. Not even a spec of the rabbits. Uh, what?

 “You sure it was around here?”

 The farmer nodded, clutching his hoe. I started to walk around the farmlands. They were divided into four areas, with each cultivating different things. From all four, one is heavily damaged.

 But no matter where I searched, I didn’t find any rabbits.

 “I don’t understand. They were here yesterday!”

 “Hmm… If I’m not mistaken, Rabbits live… underground, right?”

 Noticing my blunder, I got back at the damaged farmland. There, I picked the earth with the farmer’s hoe, finding the earth soft in some spots, and rock solid at others.

 “Okay, found them.”

 “Where?”

 I pointed down. The farmer didn’t believe it though. I took my saber, walking around the farmland, and when I found a hole, albeit very small, I was certain. With my saber, I started to pierce the earth around. My first 10 tries, I didn't find anything soft, but on my 11th, it found it.

 Piiii!

 “Found you.”

 I pulled my sword, revealing blood mixed with earth. Looking at the farmer, he had a surprised expression. I pierced the earth again, and with another Piii! As a mark of succeeding, I kept the act of piercing, again and again. As I kept doing it, I found my mark three more times. That makes five rabbits. But why do I think it has more?

 As if to answer my question, two rabbits came out of the hole I saw before.

 “Isn’t this too big, for a rabbit?”

 I was baffled. The size of the rabbits were of a poodle. This is quite big for the hole I saw. Well, I’m no animal specialist, so I can’t say much! As I was lost in thought, one of the rabbits charged and jumped at me.

 “Uou! Chill out man! Ugh!”

 And as I was focused on one rabbit, the other used that as an opportunity to attack me. Ouch. The charge wasn’t very strong, but the problem was the horn. It wasn't pierced, but it hurts a little. Rolling on the ground after the charge, I got up fast, avoiding another charge.

 Trying to cut the rabbits, reminded me of my sword. My sword focuses on slashes, but it won’t be effective if I flay it around, or don’t use it right. Focusing on the battle, I clutch the handle on my hand. Breathing in and out, I glare at the rabbits.

 One of them charges at me. I stepped ahead with my left foot, and spun around, putting all of my strength at my arm. It didn’t cut clean, but the slash was strong enough to reach the middle of his body. The blade reached the spine of the rabbit, and stopped there. Thanks to the corpse's body weight, my arm was pulled back, but I got the blade out of it.

 The other rabbit came at me full force after noticing his companion die. But, instead of trying to charge with the horn, it charged with his mouth open. Sabers aren’t used in piercing, but… With the rabbit coming like a dummy at me, I pushed my sword at it, aiming at its mouth. It slid easily through the rabbit’s mouth, piercing all of his organs on the way. Unfortunately, I was pushed backwards, and fell to the ground.

 “Ouch. Well, at least my clothes aren’t soaked in blood.”

 The rabbit’s body fell to my right side, but the clothes were almost clean, except for some dust and dirt on it.

 “You’re okay?” The farmer came to me.

 “I’m fine. Well, things were dealt with.”

 “And the rabbit materials?”

 He said as if I forgot about them, but in reality, I just didn’t want to deal with the blood. And their materials are basically useless in the market. According to the explanation I received from the guild’s lady, the fur and horns are usually sold to the guild, but at most, it only gives the adventurer 10 Copper for the horns, and 25 per fur.

 “You can have it.” Better than me trying to have it.

 “Are you sure?”

 I nod. After being one hundred percent sure, the farmer was smiling from ear to ear. Maybe the meat is good? I remember reading somewhere that rabbit meat isn’t different from chicken.

 I shrugged and followed the collection of Quests. Since the collection and pest control(subjugation quests) were inside the forest, I would go inside nonetheless.

 Usually, to find the flowers on the quest, they can be found at the outskirts of the forest, but their quality isn’t that good, and sometimes, the buyer will only pay half, or even lower the value stipulated on the quest paper.

 When I entered the forest, it felt like another place entirely. From the little lively place at the farms from before, to a dark and eerie place.

 “Even the trees are making the place eerier.”

 The atmosphere was completely strange, if compared to the outside. The wind passes through the trees and bushes, making a swirl noise. The bushes moving, like a beast might appear at any given time, and a strange sensation of someone watching me.

 “What the hell? I just entered the forest. What is really happening?”

 Whoever it was, it was focusing all of its attention on me. But whoever was watching me, stopped, like it lost interest. It could be that the forest is haunted? Please, don't.

 Gulping audibly, I kept looking around. I knew that something was watching me, and now was gone. After hearing some battle noises, I kept walking even further into the forest. Guess I’m at the right place then. Seeing a party fighting some Goblins, I proceeded. Still, with whatever has happened, I'd better be careful.

 Gaga!

 It didn't take long for me to find Goblins, after all, they are always in packs, and are ugly as hell. I always wanted to ask this, but who created these things?

 They were wielding crude weapons, made out of sticks and stones, again, as a pattern of fantasy novels. Imagine an Android Goblin. I kept thinking if this world had Mechanized beasts/monsters. I think it would be nice? Oops, gotta focus.

 One of them attacked, after noticing me. You’re very slow. Much more than the rabbit. Avoiding the club aimed at me, I pulled my sword to try and slash at the first one, but needed to stop and avoid.

 “Tch!”

 Gaga!

 Another goblin came at me, with it’s stone ax. And then the other. They were in three, and acting one after the other. Hmm... Would you consider one at a time?

 Dodging another ax, I used my saber to slash the first Goblin. With the fight against the rabbits, I knew that this saber was sharp, but even to cut these Goblins, this was too much. It simply cut it clean through the Goblin’s neck. I just put enough force to a deep cut, but it passed through so easily.

 “Well, this is overkill. Literally.”

 Glancing at the other Goblins, I readied my saber again. It didn't take long. After the first Goblin was killed, the other two cooperatives got terrible. The quest is only three, and I still have to find the honey and the flowers. And I finished them easily.

 With the first three Goblins finished, I dived deep into the forest. The flowers in my path were getting more and more vivid in color, and even their sizes were getting bigger.

 Gagaaaa! 

 But of course, I kept facing more and more Goblins. The quantity got bigger too. In the beginning, I only faced groups of 3, but now, they're at 5 and even 7 sometimes. Some of them even wield machetes, and swords.

 "Looks like I'm gonna get an extra. Wish it could be more though."

 The reward for the Goblins was only 5 Copper for 3 Goblins, but from the Goblins I faced ‘til now I would receive at least 2 Bronze coins, and 50 copper. Finding the flowers wasn't as hard as in the outskirts of the forest.

 The flowers were purple, and were in a bunch. They look exactly like Allium. A bunch of little flowers altogether, but as the description on my Scan, showed that it had a strong scent, and monsters eat them to heal themselves.

 After walking more, I simply found an entire garden with flowers. There was the small type, but also, a giant type. The size was the same as a car, and they were in a bunch of them. Giant flower?

 “Big flower… For a big bee. Or wasps.”

 While looking at the big flowers, and with that realization in mind, a loud buzzing sound came from behind me. Turning around, was a giant Wasp, a Yellow Jacket. I call it a Yellow Jacket, but instead of the usual black and yellow, it was white and rose. There was a strange, white drool coming from its mouth, and an eerie black mist coming from it’s sting. That sting is trouble. As soon as I focused on it, my Scan showed me this:

Giant Rose Wasp

A kind of Wasp, looking like the Yellow Jacket Wasp back on your home-world. It has an acid spit and a poisonous sting. The poison is of the Paralysis type. With a small amount, you'll get dizzy, and with high quantities, complete paralysis, and Pain Immunity.

 “I remember reading something about wasps, that they put their eggs inside of other living beings. Creepy. Oh-ou.”

 The wasp charged at me full force. I avoided it's charge, but the tree trunk behind me gave a glimpse of what that sting was capable of. It simply split the trunk in two, and not only that, but the part of where the sting hit, simply rotted, making the entire trunk turn into dust after a few seconds.

 “That’s… not poison at all. That’s withering right?”

 A scratch and I’m dead. Wait, the explanation says about the normal wasp, not this one right? As if responding to my question once again, my Scan showed what the wasp in front of me really was.

Giant Rose Necrotic Wasp

A mutation of the Normal Rose Wasp. Instead of paralysis, it causes withering, or, in other words, Rot. One scratch, and any living cell will Wither to death. Not many are found in nature, so no method of healing was discovered yet.
Danger Rank - C

 With the explanation out of the way, I got a grasp of what to do. It’s attacks all depend either on charges with it's sting, or as it did just a second ago, spit it’s drool like acid. Really? Isn't the Rot thing enough?

 With another one of it’s charges, the wasp hit another tree trunk. Using that as an opening, I charge at it, and slash at it. Unfortunately, the Wasp’s carapace is too strong, and just a shallow cut was made at her abdomen.

 “Oh, c’mon! Just die already!”

 After avoiding another spit, and seeing the effect of the acid on my blade, it charged again.

 “Could you improve your attacks a little!”

 With this last charge, the wasp hit another trunk, but this time, the sting broke. When I looked at her abdomen, the Rot was also affecting the wasp, so she was harming herself as well.

 “Well, that’s a good thing for me.”

 Using the wasp's confusion to its own blunder, I rushed to it, and cut off the junction between it’s abdomen and torso. Thought so. It isn’t as protected as the other areas. Just as that, the wasp simply bathed it’s wings rapidly, and fell limp on the ground.

 Taking another look at the wasp’s body, my Scan showed me what valuable parts were. Thankfully, it was quite the sum of money. 20 Silver for it’s pair of wings, and the wasp had four. The broken sting was only 2 silver, since it broke, but an almost new, would reach the 50 Silver mark. Quite a lot.

 The eyes were the most valuable. The description said to be used at making some special dishes. What kind of crazy person created these dishes? They were 1 gold for the pair. But, as if mocking my effort, which wasn’t much, the value fell to 75 silver.

 “In total, I still have 1 Gold, and 47 Silver to gain. It’s good for a beginning. I think.”

 ◙ LEVEL UP! STATS INCREASED, SKILLS LEVELED UP, CLASSES HAVE LEVELED UP! NEW TITLE ACQUIRED! A NEW SKILL HAS BEEN ACQUIRED! ◙

 I got surprised with the voice screaming things on my head out of nowhere. But nonetheless, it was a good thing. Two levels and all that. And a skill too! What skill, though? What?

- STATUS -

Name: Kenji Species: Human Age: 15 Y.O.
Adventurer Rank: D-Rank LVL: 3 / 5 (↑2) SP: 300 (↑200)
HP: 213 / 300 (↑100) MP: 900 / 900 (↑600)
STR: 190 (↑40)
{+20 ↑10}
INT: 350 (↑100)
{+20 ↑10}
CON: 240 (↑40)
{+20 ↑10}
AGI: 450 (↑100)
{+40 ↑20}
DEX: 400 (↑100)
{+30 ↑10}
LUK: 7 (↑2)

CLASSES

 • Student (Lvl 8)Fighter (Lvl 3)Swordsman (Lvl 4 1UP)Researcher (Lvl 4 1UP)Traveler from Another World (Lvl M) HIDDEN

 SKILLS

 • Language Comprehension (Unique)Technomagic (Unique)Other World Archive (Unique)Sword Arts (Lvl 4 1UP)Martial Arts (Lvl 3)Strengthening (Lvl 2 1UP) Hard Skin (Lvl 2 1UP) Instinct (Lvl 3 1UP) Knowledge (Lvl 2 1UP) Mobility (Lvl 4 2UP)Concealment (Lvl 1)Rot Resistance (Lvl 1 NEW)

 TITLES

 • TechnomaniacHalf-MachineUnique Bug Killer (New)

 STATUS CONDITION

 Hyper Slow Growth

Spoiler

So, little change here. The things inside these {}, are numbers of the skills, such as Strengthening, Hard Skin, etc... It makes it easy to see what they do, and when they Level up. I also changed in the previous chapter. MAJOR CHANGE: There's no Tier anymore. It got me confused while writing, and made me not build these Status's windows. Also, there won't be any XP, cause that is completely dumb to put here(sorry). And, the power Scaling will be talked about in future chapters.

[collapse]

 “Uo~u. Two levels and a few things, huh? Aaaah… I wish this status condition would go away, but no matter what I do, nothing until now. And [Technomagic] reached 15 already. Maybe because of what I did?”

 The things I did with [Technomagic], were simple, yet it counted to the Skill evolution. At least some of my skills Leveled Up. I was in doubt on two things, though.

 “How do the classes and Titles work?”

 That was one thing that got my attention. My Scan didn’t show me anything important about them. They’re pretty similar, though.

 “And what about the Status Condition? Come to think of it, I never appraised before. Let’s see here.”

 And focusing on the Status Condition, it showed me what it was, although with not so much as an answer as to why I have it.

Status Condition [Hyper Slow Growth]

A Type of Status Condition.

It makes the user slow in progressing to next Levels. Rates of Skill evolution, and Leveling Up, is considerably slowed.

Ways to lose such Condition, would be Acquiring Ruler Titles, Superior Classes, or having a Bloodline Class/Skill/Title.

 It did give me a way of losing it though. Not that I could do anything right now.

 “Well, I’m at a dangerous place, so better not let my guard down.”

 Saying that, I grab my sword, and turn around at full force. Another wasp almost got me. This time was a normal(What normal is this?) Rose Wasp. She was cut easily, though.

 “Looks like it's a companion. Also, it’s much smaller than this one. Why?”

 Answering my questions once again, Scan showed me. I wondered why it didn’t show me earlier, but the answer was obvious after thinking a bit. It can’t give answers when it doesn’t have sufficient info.

 The {Scanner Vision}, together with the {Heads-Up Display}, were giving me real time info, but it couldn’t provide me with info I didn’t know. Such as these wasps. They look like a Yellow Jacket, as the Scan said, but they have different traits, such as the pink and white together.

 “So it uses the information from back at my world, as a basis. And when it doesn’t have sufficient info, it Appraises the things in this world to provide full info. I see. Quite interesting.”

 It was exactly as it was showing me now. The Necrotic Wasp, had a big amount of poison, but the normal wasp, had honey and a little amount of paralysis poison.

 “I’ll ask again, but do Wasps produce honey? Isn’t that just… Oh, I see.”

 As I was speaking, {Heads-Up Display} showed me information that I didn’t even know it had. And was only examining the body of the Rose Wasp.

 “So only a few wasps can produce honey, huh? But it’s not much.” I glance at the wasps corpse. “If this thing doesn't produce much honey, I’ll be shocked.”

 I was thinking on how to take the materials of these wasps. How should I take care of them? I glanced at my Status screen on my field of vision, and the SP right besides my LVL count.

 “Skill Points.”

 Focusing a little on it, an enormous window, with countless skills were listed. It had so many skills that I was starting to get dizzy.

 “Ugh! Just skills that can help me out with taking the monster materials please.”

 With that, the entire list was resumed to 3 skills. [Skinning], [Dismantle], and [Complete Disassembly]. Each skill was the evolution of the previous.

 [Skinning] was just as its name implied. It was a skill to take out the skin of beasts and monsters. [Dismantle], was a skill, as its name implies, to take out the valuable parts, although in a sloppy way in the beginning, but as it would Level Up, it would be more effective and clean. Well, that’s a given. But this last one…

 And then comes [Complete Disassembly]. This skill was the best. It simply ‘Dismantled’ the corpse upon touch, into all the materials it has. Does it have meat, Core, Pelt, Bones and Blood? It dismantles all of it, making the materials appear all well and good. For the blood and organs though, it'll need a container. I guess nothing is perfect.

 “Are you kidding me? How can I… Oh. I see.”

 I was about to say Get the skill, but there were requirements to get it. First, the person needed to reach the [Dismantle] Lvl M of the skill, and then, have dismantled at least! 1000 Beasts/Monsters perfectly! Perfectly!

 “Is this a joke? How much does it cost [Skinning] anyway?” I looked at the price. “Seriously? Just 10 SP?”

 The skill was very cheap. And I read about it at the library. The skill was basically useless, having some kind of utility when reached [Dismantle]. But of course, if someone wanted, it could acquire [Dismantle] from the get go.

 “And it only costs 100 SP? It’s very cheap.” I didn't even think twice, I would acquire it. “Well, I guess I’ll go with Lvl 1 and [Dismantle].”

 ◙ YOU HAVE ACQUIRED THE DISMANTLE (LVL 1) SKILL! ◙

 With that, I tried to take the things of the wasps at my feet. I did buy a small knife to help me out if I needed to. Turns out it was the right choice. It was hard right at the beginning, but luckily, the skill helped. I would consider the skills as an adjustment to the user's original skills.

 “Well, for me that is from another world, but for the people of this world? I bet that they think that if the person doesn't have the skill, it will be useless.”

 I took the eyes, wings, stings, poison sack, although only the paralysis one. No way in hell I would take the Necrotic. It would cause a stir, I’m sure. After that, I looked at the Normal Rose Wasp, and I’d found a little sack of honey.

 “I don’t remember how much honey the requester wanted, so I think this amount is enough? Oh, there's a description. Cool.”

 Satisfied with myself, I got everything on the carapace of one of the wasps that I took, and with some vines on it, I had a bag for these things. I also grabbed some of the flowers, especially the giant it had.

 “Thankfully, the wasp didn’t destroy it.”

 And then it happened again. The forest turned eerie. Like it was warning me. I gulped audibly, and without even thinking, I hid myself in the bushes close to the flowers. As if that was a sign, a giant, Purple tiger with black stripes, with two giant tusks appeared from the forest.

 He was big. Huge. Enormous. If I could compare it to an animal of earth, it would be a Rhino. FUCK! The thing gave me shivers. Not because only it’s size, but actually, it’s status. Mine were still less than 1000, but even if it had multiple versions of myself, it wouldn’t be enough. What should I do?

- STATUS -

Name: Tigrass Species: Emperor Tiger Age: 211 Y.O.
Occupation: King of the Forest LVL: 345 / 500 SP: 18’900
HP: 68’000 / 68’000
{+ 5’000}
MP: 9800 / 9800
STR: 18’120
{+8’000}
INT: 970
{+300}
CON: 21’450
{+8’000}
AGI: 22’160
{+8’000}
DEX: 14’830
{+4’000}
LUK: 1700

CLASSES

 • Emperor Tiger (Lvl -)Forest Tiger (Lvl 7)Tusk Tiger (Lvl M) Big Cat (Lvl -) Berserker (Lvl 8) Poison Fighter (Lvl -• 

SKILLS

 • Poison Tusks (Unique Lvl M) Poison Claws (Unique Lvl M)Supernatural Bite (Lvl 8)Supernatural Senses (Lvl 7)Supernatural Roar (Lvl M)Supernatural Strength (Lvl 8) Supernatural Body (Lvl 8) Supernatural Instincts (Lvl 5) Enhanced Knowledge (Lvl 3) Supernatural Mobility (Lvl 8)Enhanced Regeneration (Lvl 2)Supernatural Survivability (Lvl 5) Supernatural Durability (Lvl 2) Killing Intent (Lvl 9) Supernatural Vitality (Lvl 5)Poison Magic (Lvl M• Forest Magic (Lvl 4) • Water Magic (Lvl M• Earth Magic (Lvl M• 

TITLES

 • Living DisasterKing of The ForestUnique SlaughtererHuman SlaughtererBug Slaughterer • Dragon SlayerArachnid HaterMonster of the DepthsFear-Bringer

STATUS CONDITION

Poisoned

 There was no way for me to even fight this thing. I either would be pierced by it’s tusks, shredded to bits by it’s claws, or crushed by its jaws. What is it doing?! Please! Go Away! GO AWAY!

 The Emperor Tiger, looked around, as if searching for a hidden prey. He walked back and forth, and glanced at the bush I was at. My entire body trembled. I closed my eyes, and let my mind cry in despair. Go away, Please. Go away, Please. Go away, Please. Go away, Please.

 ◙ SKILL CONCEALMENT LEVELED UP! CONDITIONS HAVE BEEN MET! SKILL CONCEALMENT, LEVELED UP SEVERAL TIMES! ◙

 Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. Go away. My mind was filled with those thoughts. I never thought I would be feeling all of this. This impending fear of death.

 ◙ SKILL FEAR RESISTANCE (LVL 1) HAS BEEN ACQUIRED! ◙ 

 SHUT UP! SHUT UP! I was in despair. I was even saying things to no one in particular.

 ◙ SKILL FEAR RESISTANCE HAS LEVELED UP! SKILL CONCEALMENT, REACHED MAXIMUM LEVEL! SKILL CONCEALMENT, EVOLVED INTO STEALTH (LVL 1)◙

 And with that last announcement, my mind was pulled back to reality. There was no tiger around. No beast. No threat. Noticing the state I was in, I got up, taking the things I dismantled from the wasps, and walked out of the forest as fast as I could. I looked between my legs before rushing out of the forest. At least this didn’t happen.

 After reaching the outskirts of the forest, I sighed in relief. At least I knew I wouldn’t be killed here(I thought). I just barely got inside the city gates. Just barely. Entering the city, I walked to the guild, and people were looking at me.

 My appearance wasn’t one of the best. I could see that I was still trembling. With the materials in hands, and even the quests proof, I delivered at the counter, where one man started to examine them.

 “Well, I’ll be! This is from a Necrotic Rose Wasp!”

 With that, the adventurers on the guild were looking at me. With the state I was at, those stares were useless. My mind was filled with the image of the Tiger right in front of me.

 “Shame that the sack isn’t here. Hm? Hey lad. Yer' okay?”

 The man at the counter asked. I didn’t even know what to say.

 “Nothing. Just… Finish it already.”

 “Let me guess. Ya find something bad, 'aight?”

 With his words, the adventurers inside the guild simply stopped talking. By the looks of it, I wasn’t the only one facing that thing. 

 “Well, for the looks of it, ya found something really bad. Better be careful out there. Ya don’t wanna die, yet, 'aight?” I nodded. “Well, all this is a good thing though. Even the finest of the honeys! The requester will be pleased!”

 Although he was trying to cheer me up, I didn’t want help. I just wanted to finish this as fast as possible and sleep.

 “Well, let’s see. 50 Goblins. That’ll be 2 bronze and 50 copper. The flower is of the best I ever see 'till now, and it’sa perfect condition. So probably be 25 silver.” That was surprising. The quest was only 1 silver for a bunch of them.

 “For the Rabbits, 25 Bronze per couple, so 450 Bronze, but I’ll put in 4 Silver and 50 Bronze to easy yer life. As for the honey, my god, this literally values 1 gold! Ya lucky lad!”

 I scoffed at the man’s remark.

 “But as for these ones? I gotta say, never saw some newbie be so delicate with it. The eyes of the Necrotic Wasp are a bit damaged, but it’ll be 50 Silver the pair. The normal one, 10. As for the wings, the necrotic, 15 silver each. The normal one, only 3 each. The broken sting of the Necrotic, only 2 silver. The paralysis sack will be 30 silver.” He took a deep breath… “In total, 164 Silver. I’ll put 1 Gold and 64 Silver too. In total, you made 2 Gold, 93 Silver, 52 Bronze, and 50 Copper. Please check it out.” 

 He gave me a pouch. I opened it, and checked it. There was the exact amount he said.

 “Thanks.”

 “Be careful lad! I wish ya luck!”

 With that out of the way, I got to one inn. It was 10 silver the stay, while the cheap one was 50 bronze. It was pricier than the other, but worth it. The food was good, and there was hot water to wipe myself, whereas the other was only freezing water.

 I didn’t check my status, only going to sleep after eating, and wiping myself. I remember seeing the emperor's status, but I’ll leave this for another day. With that, it didn’t take long for me to fall asleep.

87