15. Farewell
46 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Sharwin Hucrele was already dead by the time we got back to Oakhurst. So was sir Braford. The man was embalmed, so he could be carried back to his estates, where he may lie with his ancestors. The family crypt of the Hucreles was in Oakhurst; on the other hand, so that Sharwin could be buried right away. We were invited to the funeral feast by our former employer, the Lady Hucrele.

“We are sorry for your loss, my lady”, Beldrak assured her. Not sorry enough to save your niece, though.

“At least I could be there for my niece”, she answered. “We can't even bury my nephew.”

Yes, he probably ended up in the pot of the goblins.

“I don't know if it is any consolation”, said Jim, “but neither the goblins, nor the Outcast will claim any more lives.”

“It is some consolation.”

But far from enough. Nothing will ever bring the dead back. Maybe not even the magic of this world.

“What are your plans? Where do you go from here?”

“Well, Master Trueanvil wants to bring his books back to Sky Hall. Before that we will go to Trapper Port with Erky. I hear it is a big city.”

“Do you want to do mercenary work in the future?”

“We have money now, but the prices around here are higher than what I am accustomed to”, I admitted. “I am somewhat skilled in masonry and have some experience in carpentry, but I doubt they would pay as well as being a mercenary. If this past few days are any indication.”

“Well then, I might have an employment offer for you. Don't go to Sky Hall just yet. I have a second cousin whose lands lie a few days north from Trapper Port. For a few months now, a white dragon infested his forest. It is killing the smallfolk and feasting on their cattle. It also robbed some nearby temples. You could be there in less than ten days, and since you already have experience with dragons, you should be able to slay this beast as well.”

“Calcryx was a tiny dragon, my lady”, interjected Beldrak. “And even so, she almost killed Jim. I doubt we could be of much help to your cousin.”

“As you wish”, Lady Hucrele smiled sadly. “But if you change your mind, do tell me, and I will give you a letter of recommendation.”

“You are too kind us.” We let your niece die, even if we could have saved her.

The mayor, Captain Felosial, the priest Nackle, they all had some words to exchange with us, asking for our plans, whether they could help us, or we help them. It was a dispiriting experience. Our mood was gloomy, and even the beautiful summer afternoon couldn't cheer us up.

“So at least Arnold is coming with me”, said Beldrak later, when we were alone in our room at the inn. “What are your plans, Jim?”

“I have none. I am adrift in this world, lacking any particular anchor or bound. Sky Hall is as good a destination for me as any.”

“And after that?”

“I haven't decided. These last few days... even if they were harrowing, they were... exciting. I guess I could make a living as a mechanic, back home I was working a lot with watches and other machines. But, you know, even though I could die, even though I was annoyed by you all the time, even though my god found me unworthy of his support... I never felt so alive as in the last days.”

“And mercenary work pays well”, I added. “Let's not forget that part.”

“Let's not”, Jim laughed. “Also, I have always dreamt of saving a pretty tiefling princess from distress. Maybe if I travel enough, I will find one?”

“Everything is possible”, said Beldrak. “Since you have proven to be dependable companions, I would have no objection against travelling and fighting alongside you again. I will need a few days to organise all the books we saved from the citadel, and I will also want to read most of them before we go. I hadn't had a good reading in a month.”

“We can take a few days to rest”, I agreed. “I will ask the mayor to lend a wagon and a driver to us. They won't be happy, now that harvest is upon them, but I don't think we will have to pay an unreasonable price either. Erky said the road is good around those parts, so a cart with horses will do just fine.”

“Reassuring that you can take care of the details”, Beldrak nodded. “Now let us look at the bigger picture. What shall we do, after we left my books in Sky Hall, and gave the magical apple to the university in Golden Grove?”

“Take up another mercenary work, obviously”, I said. “We just agreed that it pays well.”

“In that case, I have a proposition”, he said, and looked at us with solemn eyes. Then he grinned. “I get all the books we find. And I still get the same cut from the bounty as you.”

“That's how it was handled in this case as well”, Jim pointed out. “So, whatever. If we can enter your library free of charge, anytime...”

“Let's not get carried away”, said Beldrak.

“The day when your good heart causes your downfall won't be today, it seems”, I mused.

***

Author's note

Spoiler

Discord

This was our last scene with the Sunless Citadel. Thanks to my DM, and of course to Bruce Cordell, the author of the module! We had a lot of fun with the story, and I hope you readers enjoyed the recounting of these events just as much as we did! Don’t forget to help me with typos. Also, original of the cover.

In the next few chapters, we will embark on a relatively safe (by fantasy world standards) journey, and then, after our business is taken care of, we will head to the frozen North, to visit the Forge of Fury! Spoilers ahead! Here be dragons!

Special thanks to my patron:

mobal

[collapse]
2