32. Unwelcome visitors
25 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It was already noon when we arrived in Avennar. The place was equal part dwarf and human, and it laid on the northern edge of the Misty Hills. From here on the hills became taller and taller, melding into a mountain range. Here started the chilly highlands that now housed the remnants of the once-mighty ork confederation.

The city itself was a centre of mining and industry for the smaller towns around it. We have seen wagons laden with iron ingots and other metals to arrive, while other carts carrying finished goods were leaving the city. Some of them were heading south, where the wealthier cities laid, but others were taking their wares to the smaller towns.

We found our man in an inn, in the middle of having lunch.

“I was told you are baron Alton,” said Beldrak as we stood at the man's table.

“Indeed I am,” answered the man so loud that the whole inn must have heard it. He closed the book he was reading with his meal, and set it aside. “This is my secretary, Guido,” he indicated towards the man sitting on his right. “And this is my groom, Anna.” The woman sat on his left. “Can we be of any help? Answer me, sir!” He shouted the last sentence.

“We were hoping to be of help to you,” Beldrak said, and put the sword-hilt on the table. “I hear you are searching for weapons made by the famous smith, Durgeddin. But we can come back after you finished lunch.”

The eyes of the noble lit up. “No need. Do sit down, please. Ah, this is interesting! Very interesting, indeed! It's quite an early work of his, possibly before his centenarian, but the mark is genuine. Genuine, gentlemen, genuine! Where have you found it?”

“In a godforsaken place near Oakhurst.”

“Oakhurst? Hm! Oakhurst! Never heard of it.”

“Not surprising. We took the hilt from goblins.”

“Goblins, eh? Greenskins have a tendency to snatch the works of the Master, don't they? So the goblins... grabbed it, eh?”

The scribe and the groom politely laughed, and even Beldrak was able to force out a jovial smile.

“We also heard that you are looking for hirelings,” said Jim.

The baron's voice suddenly became cold and official.

“You would like to become my employees? Do you have any letters of recommendation?”

“Not as such, no, but...”

“Thank you for your time, gentlemen,” the groom called Anna suddenly said. “His Lordship will message you in due time.”

“Here,” the secretary took up the sword-hilt and placed it into the hands of Beldrak. “It was, ehm, our pleasure to meet you.”

You know the drill: typos and original.

1